Grand final attendance doom and gloom thread.

3 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Looks a poor gate, less than 30k I suspect. People may point finger st les cats but I think covid has affected peoples habits towards large events of all types

quoting covid is a poor excuse, other sports have had very good attendances, its not just RL covid affects. from what i saw, the upper tiers were empty. prob about 45k tops

• Like 1

Great crowd in the circumstances, really good atmosphere and a good game to watch, sometimes you people amaze me, crowd is what I expected given that catalans were in the final, the empty spaces would have been filled with most english team to the usual level, but Catalans bought a lot more to the final if not in seat numbers. Expansion is needed, and tonight did the game no harm whatsoever

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Even though our utter, unquestioned dominance in the sport has ended, all Wiganers believe that we are really just indulgently letting the other teams win for a while in order to make it more interesting.

Stuart Maconie, Cider with Roadies

"cause people often talk about being scared of change but for me I'm more afraid of things staying the same cause the game is never won by standing in any one place for too long"

Nick Cave

One of the best grand finals I've been to, atmosphere wise. Ticket arrangements were a bit haphazard if I'm honest but everything taken into account, it was fantastic.

Just a shame that wrong side got the trophy. (I won't use the term 'won')

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned before. Anyway I usually go with a similar, non RL crazy group who like the occasion and we tend to get the second cheapest tickets. Like getting a wine in a restaurant cos we are so classy like that.

Anyway this year they couldn't believe that that option was 40 quid. Last GF in 2019 it was 35, before that it was 30. Quite a hike over the course of 3 finals and I suspect took its toll on the crowd as much as Catalans getting there.

Im not complaining, we were there at the end of the day and I'm sure it's been budgeted by the people that know how. However I was surprised at how much it's gone up looking back now and surely it's a factor along with Catalans and Covid 

At the end of the day, they enjoyed the game so almost 'nuff said, except gotta convince people who weren't there. A toughie.

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

17 minutes ago, Amber Avenger said:

Haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned before. Anyway I usually go with a similar, non RL crazy group who like the occasion and we tend to get the second cheapest tickets. Like getting a wine in a restaurant cos we are so classy like that.

Anyway this year they couldn't believe that that option was 40 quid. Last GF in 2019 it was 35, before that it was 30. Quite a hike over the course of 3 finals and I suspect took its toll on the crowd as much as Catalans getting there.

Im not complaining, we were there at the end of the day and I'm sure it's been budgeted by the people that know how. However I was surprised at how much it's gone up looking back now and surely it's a factor along with Catalans and Covid 

At the end of the day, they enjoyed the game so almost 'nuff said, except gotta convince people who weren't there. A toughie.

Your experience of this is obviously completely valid but on the flip side we have people saying tickets are too cheap. Must admit I thought £40 for ten rows back in the stretford end was more than I’d expected, though compare it to football or Union and it’s a bargain, especially for a game like today’s. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Your experience of this is obviously completely valid but on the flip side we have people saying tickets are too cheap. Must admit I thought £40 for ten rows back in the stretford end was more than I’d expected, though compare it to football or Union and it’s a bargain, especially for a game like today’s. 

Yeah I do get that and at the end of the day, I thought it was worth if before we went, however I do wonder if two price hikes over the past two finals is put the casual off especially if times are tough post covid. I'm not sure what anyone could have done differently about that - obviously money has to be made. 

Im sure for people who don't go to RL a lot that price is great, but we need a mix of RL die hards and neutrals and there aren't many RL matches where 40 quid is the second cheapest option. You've always been able to spend a lot on GF tickets if you've wanted to as well!

It was just an observation anyway, I do wonder if it would have been on the low side whoever was in the final. 

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

well, it depends how you view it. That’s where I sit at MUFC and my season ticket is £29 per game. 

However, for a major final, I think £40 is an absolutely appropriate price bracket. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The Grand Final was only a month after the Magic Weekend so any might have prioritised that as their team league wasn’t guaranteed to be at the Grand Final.

In other sports people would go to two major events in one month, it’s not like most people who go to the GF even need to stay over as the heartlands are all so close. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

In other sports people would go to two major events in one month, it’s not like most people who go to the GF even need to stay over as the heartlands are all so close. 

Funny you should say that, I do need to stay over and all the hotels in Manchester were crazy prices.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I don't need to stay over , but I didn't go , so I am part of the problem 

Me too, apart from internationals I refuse to attend any RL event that my own club aren’t involved in. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

8 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Me too, apart from internationals I refuse to attend any RL event that my own club aren’t involved in. 

I don't refuse , I have attended some Championship finals as a neutral