RL on Channel 4

dkw

2 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Earlier in this thread I expressed warm support for the program.

But in retrospect there was something that I found disappointing and that was the comment made by Sam Tomkins and I think also by Adam Hills that RL is a northern/M62 game.  To me the comment made the sport appear to be ‘desperate’ to be on TV to show the game to the rest of the UK.

I understand that the program is based on showcasing SL but if the aim is to encourage non-RL viewers to attend games then we have to show that there are teams in Cumbria, Newcastle, London, North and South Wales, the Midlands and Cornwall in the leagues below SL as well.

It would be a great opportunity to have a brief segment each week on one of these non-heartland teams.

Edit- the other item was to have the 5th tackle become enlarged so it creates some expectation to the new to RL viewer just like the 9 that appears in the Darts when someone starts a leg with 180.

But as I said earlier it was a good start.

I winced a but when he said that too, but to be fair he did say it’s mainly an M62 game (which is is) but he was hoping more people would now watch and appreciate it - which is reasonable. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

As a coda to the weekend's coverage, Ralph Rimmer was on the 8.30 R4 Today sports bulletin to discuss its increased profile and other things about Super League and the wider game. 

Oh dear, just when we think the game might appeal to a wider audience. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

The commentary was the best bit on the C4 coverage as it allowed you to focus on the action which is surely why we’re all here.

Even yesterday’s Super Bowl in America carried just one commentator and one co-commentator - I think it’s always the right balance whatever the level of complexity of the analysis.

If further clarification is required or the game has a significant stoppage then sure the broadcast can bring in the voice of a studio guest.

I think were Sky struggles is the group commentary team often falls well behind the action or misses it completely as they argue points during a sport that is generally continuous action.

I would like them to go back to basics on their broadcasts and figure out who are the best co-commentators and let them handle it by themselves in the main.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Niels said:

That's only your opinion though. It isn't better informed than anyone else's. 

Maybe you prefer or need the basics explaining to you - but having attended many games at all divisions, I prefer the level of the Sky commentary. 

But that is my preference and opinion and I don't try to present it as a fact. 

I never said it was and I think its quite obvious that everyone's posts on here are just their opinions. Just like this one is simply yours.

I certainly do not need the basics explaining to me and enjoyed C4 more precisely because they didn't do this. I personally think that Sky do this far more and I certainly enjoyed C4 more because they didn't ramble on about irrelevant nonsense 90% of the time. For me C4 offered a more mature coverage with calm, measured analysis and discussion that stuck to the facts about what happened. There was no constant noise, no histrionics, no endless discussion on whether decapitating someone should be a good shot or within the rules and no trying to outdo each other with banter. I don't need any of that to enjoy RL.

Its horses for courses and its obvious we disagree on this, that's what this forum is all about. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I met three mates for a bevvy last night, two of them (sports but not not RL fans) had watched Leeds v Wire, thought it was great and were asking when the next game is.

That sounds like a riddle Eddie: " So how many Rugby League fans were there ?".

8 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

That sounds like a riddle Eddie: " So how many Rugby League fans were there ?".

One always tells the truth and the other always lies. But they both know each other. You have one question to either.

Edited by DI Keith Fowler
  • Haha 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

40 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

As a coda to the weekend's coverage, Ralph Rimmer was on the 8.30 R4 Today sports bulletin to discuss its increased profile and other things about Super League and the wider game. 

He only seems to make public appearances on the back of good news. He wasn't seen for months then all of a sudden when Kate Middleton becomes patron and C4 increases the profile of the sport he appears again.

14 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

One always tells the truth and the other always lies. But they both know each other. You have one question to either.

" Do you know that bloke ?"

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

He only seems to make public appearances on the back of good news. He wasn't seen for months then all of a sudden when Kate Middleton becomes patron and C4 increases the profile of the sport he appears again.

He's certainly gone quiet on the whole realignment/investment/restructure thing 

22 hours ago, Dunbar said:

An interesting comparison to the figures for the first Union Premiership match on ITV this year.  They peaked at 750k and League on Channel 4 at 735k.  I would say that this stands up very well indeed.

And this is just to put the viewing figures into context, not to start a cross code debate.

ITV’s first live Premiership Rugby match sets TV audience record | Sport | The Times

That's fabulous given the punch of the respective channels. Proves what we've known all along that the rules were changed to make a more spectator friendly code. 

16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

He's certainly gone quiet on the whole realignment/investment/restructure thing 

He is a mouse of an administrator who is only capable of managing a small marginalised sport. Hence, why he is content with the status quo.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Damien said:

then all of a sudden when Kate Middleton becomes patron

Do you think the people at the RFL had nothing to do with that happening?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

48 minutes ago, Damien said:

Just a thought. His absence from the media, if indeed he was , might possibly  be due to the fact that for months, its been our off season when nothing has been happening of any newsworthy note.  As I said, just a thought.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Do you think the people at the RFL had nothing to do with that happening?

I've no idea and its irrelevant to the point. I think its probably likely that patronages get passed down from the Queen on the recommendations of her lackeys. I can't see how the RFL would have much input bar someone getting in touch and asking them are you happy with whoever and them saying yes. Without being political its something I'm simply not too concerned about.

It also is far from the point. The point was when big decisions have to be made and when clubs and fans have wanted answers on key issues then Rimmer was nowhere to be seen for months. You know the bread and butter administration of the sport that Rimmer gets paid to do. The moment a bit of positive PR comes along he suddenly finds the media again and wants the glory.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Just a thought. His absence from the media, if indeed he was , might possibly  be due to the fact that for months, its been our off season when nothing has been happening of any newsworthy note.  As I said, just a thought.

That's when he should be making news,when things are quite, keeping the game in the public eye in the off season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, newbe said:

That's when he should be making news,when things are quite, keeping the game in the public eye in the off season.

I think the sport would benefit from a structured series of announcements on a regular basis to shine a positive light on the sport.

This is akin to a PR campaign and I think we saw good evidence of it by the people who built up the RLWC originally (and will need to do so again).

Although we often bemoan our sport at times it has been very innovative at times.

Im sure there is a Herculean effort possibly going overworked and underpaid behind the scenes to make rugby league newsworthy but more could be done.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, newbe said:

Hmm. what could he do that would be powerful enough to break through the barrier  of newsworthy Premier League, Championship,  rugby union, crikit, news items?  The game is the thing. The season is the thing. Best start to that for years. 

You only have to look at the traffic volumes on here. Off season, AOB seems busy and main forum limps along. On season and the position is reversed. 

Edited by JohnM

4 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Oh I've heard the "what will he say if I ask him which door it is" version. 

Yes me too.

''If I asked him, which kind of oval ball game is best, League or RaRa, what would he say?''

(The answer comes back ''RaRa'')

But the intellectuals amongst us know that no matter which one is asked (the liar or the truthful one) whatever answer is given, they both agree that it's the other game that's best.

Edited by fighting irish

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

Spot on John. 

Do people believe that the media are just begging to hear his pronouncements?

The important thing is that when there is a positive news story he is available to spin the good news. Being located at Salford Keys makes him much more available and even more importantly the media seem to be seeking him out more. 

Cut him some slack and compare his airtime to his predecessors.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I've just got round to watching the Leeds v Warrington game and have to admit to being a bit disappointed in some aspects of the Channel 4 production.

Biggest positives I thought were the commentary team who I really enjoyed listening to.

The rest, from the opening credits to the pre and post game content, felt pretty stale and uninteresting to me. Much more creativity is needed here, and makes me wonder whether Channel 4 are taking a softly softly approach in this first season.

As good as Adam Hills is on other shows, I think he still needs some time to find his feet in this environment.

I like Sam Tomkins, and think he could have a post playing career on TV. But I'm not keen on Leon Pryce in this role, especially after the opening comments about RU. There must be better options out there.

Was great to see the game on terrestrial TV though, and be able to watch it on catch up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I've just got round to watching the Leeds v Warrington game and have to admit to being a bit disappointed in some aspects of the Channel 4 production.

Biggest positives I thought were the commentary team who I really enjoyed listening to.

The rest, from the opening credits to the pre and post game content, felt pretty stale and uninteresting to me. Much more creativity is needed here, and makes me wonder whether Channel 4 are taking a softly softly approach in this first season.

As good as Adam Hills is on other shows, I think he still needs some time to find his feet in this environment.

I like Sam Tomkins, and think he could have a post playing career on TV. But I'm not keen on Leon Pryce in this role, especially after the opening comments about RU. There must be better options out there.

Was great to see the game on terrestrial TV though, and be able to watch it on catch up!

Do you think the Pryce RU comment may have been premeditated to set Twitter alight.

Tomkins has a lot of TV experience behind him already having done loads of features for Sky so is very comfortable in front of the camera and is quick to chime in, most of the time Pryce needed to be prompted to contribute.

Ch4 won't have the luxury of Tomkins that often though as it will depend on Catalans fixtures.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.