James Bentley

1 hour ago, Wholly Trinity said:

He does actually say that.

"I understand where the game's going with it as far as protecting players, especially long-term," Poching said.

"As coaches, we've just got to coach our players to be disciplined and to avoid those situations. But as a game we need to have a look at how it's looking."

He's just commenting on the aesthetics and perception of the sport if every game is played with a reduced number of players.

I think it's a means to an end and incidents will reduce through the season, which can only be a good thing long term.

i think he'd find the "aesthetics and perception" would be a lot worse if you let those tackles go and allowed players to be knocked into next week by careless tackling technique.. 

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest, does anybody know if this match was the last time Bentley and Widdop played against each other? Also does anybody remember if anything more than the yellow(s) were dished out at disciplinary? 

Edit: Looked it up and no further action at disciplinary - apparently Widdop didn't make contact with the head....

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Late hits are, as are things like raised legs in tackles etc. That happens as the game changes, its always happened. 

But high tackles have always been punished. Three for Bentley is perfe tly in line with what we've seen forever. 

I do recall Goulding getting an 8 game ban for one v Wigan in the Cup though. And Westwood getting a 5 game ban twice. 

Ive no issue with the Bentley Ban, Im surprised Leeds are appealing, I can only assume they think what has been said in the letter to them isn't what they and the player think happened.

Im also surprised ash Warrington appealing the Holmes ban

1 hour ago, RP London said:

i think he'd find the "aesthetics and perception" would be a lot worse if you let those tackles go and allowed players to be knocked into next week by careless tackling technique.. 

Modern times and increased awareness of long-term damage of head knocks make it necessary to come down heavily on such impacts, whatever the cause.

"Back in the day" such 'toughness' was seen as a positive to "aesthetics and perception". 

The incidents will reduce if penalised harshly and consistently, but there will be a transition where games rarely have 13 v 13 for 80 minutes.

I think Willie believes it can never be eradicated fully and reduced numbers will remain, we'll see what happens. 

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Out of interest, does anybody know if this match was the last time Bentley and Widdop played against each other? Also does anybody remember if anything more than the yellow(s) were dished out at disciplinary? 

Edit: Looked it up and no further action at disciplinary - apparently Widdop didn't make contact with the head....

Clenched fist aswell (-)

There's nothing worse than when someone brings up an old incident when a player got away with something. That doesn't help your argument, it doesn't show that the recent red card was wrong, it shows that the decision in the older incident was wrong.

10 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Ive no issue with the Bentley Ban, Im surprised Leeds are appealing, I can only assume they think what has been said in the letter to them isn't what they and the player think happened.

Im also surprised ash Warrington appealing the Holmes ban

I haven't seen the Holmes one so can't speak on specifics, but I'm not a fan of appeals in general, unless there us new evidence or mistaken identity etc. but I appreciate that it is part of the process so the clubs are within their rights to use it. 

Personally I'm a fan of accepting it and moving on. 

5 minutes ago, dkw said:

There's nothing worse than when someone brings up an old incident when a player got away with something. That doesn't help your argument, it doesn't show that the recent red card was wrong, it shows that the decision in the older incident was wrong you fool.

I don’t think anyone has said the Bentley red card was wrong have they?

no need for the insults

Just now, Dave T said:

I haven't seen the Holmes one so can't speak on specifics, but I'm not a fan of appeals in general, unless there us new evidence or mistaken identity etc. but I appreciate that it is part of the process so the clubs are within their rights to use it. 

I agree

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

It was a High tackle,  it looked a lot worse than it probably was as it was on james Donaldson who's very mobile and has that late shift at the line (copyright sky tv) which sort of caught holmes off guard, who then swung around him as the ball carrier went to ground, the yellow card was fine, I can sort of agree with a one match ban under the current climate but you could argue it its at the lower end of the 1 match ban scale, hence why warrington are challenging it.

5 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Did Widdop get a 4 match ban for this? 

12 hours ago, RP London said:

give it a couple of weeks and there wont be so many, players dont want to sit on the sidelines not playing. 

Yeah so we had the same with the shoulder barge / tackle and no after a lot of reds its gone from the game. Same happened with soccer with 2 footed challenges. The players and coaches will react and we should see players being dismissed less and less as the season goes on.

Archived