Sat 12th Mar: SL: Catalans Dragons v Wigan Warriors KO 18:30 (CET)

Who will win?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/22 at 19:00

22 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Sin bin for Ellis and a red for Dezaria would have been far more appropriate for me. No doubt Cullen will be ignoring the energy price rises and warming up the electric chair as we speak. 

Ellis threw at least 2 punches that made contact correct red card and at least a 3 game ban coming under the new rules. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, hullste said:

Ellis threw at least 2 punches that made contact correct red card and at least a 3 game ban coming under the new rules. 

If Ellis hadn't reacted would Dezaria actually have been sent off? The tackle wasn't completed

We were just not good enough and Cats more than good enough. Lightweight forwards.  Bateman must be wondering why he ever came back to England. All helped by Sam pointing out Wigan's deficiencies to them.😀

Early days yet of course but that excuse won't last forever.

11 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Wouldn't it be E or F? Sustained, repeated or violent making contact with the head of opponent? I think both players through more than one punch at the others head. So that would be 4-8 games.

I think we will be fine. It was just one of those nights. Our unforced errors killed us against a team perfectly set up for beating a team gifting them possession in wet weather. Well done to Cats, and I hope we don’t draw them away in the Cup. But I would be happy to see how we go on a dry track at home later this year. 

Dezaria will be looked at differently to Ellis. It was his forearm/elbow into Ellis's face that started it all. Think the Cats man will get 4/5 games and Ellis probably 3/4.

Wigan need to find a wet weather game plan as well as their normal dry weather game plan. Catalans played the conditions, Wigan didn't.

59 minutes ago, hullste said:

Well aware the new rules dictate automatic red cards, lengthy bans and the like, but I’d be throwing haymakers as well if a player had landed on me in the same manner as Dezaria did. Similarly, if a player is on the end of a punch then it’s ridiculous that a player is expected to run to the referee to register their complaint rather than throwing one back.*

I know “nobody likes to see it” (even they do really) but a scrap to blow off some steam and 10 minutes in the bin can do wonders for a referee regaining control of a game.

*I’m reliably informed that this was the exact advice provided by Paul Cullen in a video call to each SL team when explaining the recent rule changes in pre season. I’m sure the irony wasn’t lost on the players who are old enough to have seen Cullen play. 

13 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Wouldn't it be E or F? Sustained, repeated or violent making contact with the head of opponent? I think both players through more than one punch at the others head. So that would be 4-8 games.

Could well be. 

14 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Dezaria will be looked at differently to Ellis. It was his forearm/elbow into Ellis's face that started it all. Think the Cats man will get 4/5 games and Ellis probably 3/4.

Wigan need to find a wet weather game plan as well as their normal dry weather game plan. Catalans played the conditions, Wigan didn't.

The problem for Ellis is that he doesn't have the self defence argument. I think he struck out once when Dezaria was still on top of him and he may have managed to get away with that depending on how much contact he made. Bateman managed to pull Dezaria off him and then Ellis went back in and started throwing punches. He wasn't defending himself and it wasn't an instinctive reaction, he went looking for retribution.

I'd have reacted exactly the same in Ellis' situation, no doubt many others would too, but I doubt it will save him from the wrath of the disciplinary.

these jolley boys weeks away never turn out good the wigan players looked jaded and ready to get back to blighty should have come home after the toulouse game.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

51 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Well aware the new rules dictate automatic red cards, lengthy bans and the like, but I’d be throwing haymakers as well if a player had landed on me in the same manner as Dezaria did. Similarly, if a player is on the end of a punch then it’s ridiculous that a player is expected to run to the referee to register their complaint rather than throwing one back.*

I know “nobody likes to see it” (even they do really) but a scrap to blow off some steam and 10 minutes in the bin can do wonders for a referee regaining control of a game.

*I’m reliably informed that this was the exact advice provided by Paul Cullen in a video call to each SL team when explaining the recent rule changes in pre season. I’m sure the irony wasn’t lost on the players who are old enough to have seen Cullen play. 

But Cullen was banned plenty. 

The way some are going on, bans are a new thing. 

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

If Ellis hadn't reacted would Dezaria actually have been sent off? The tackle wasn't completed

Well the ref had allowed players up after the tackle and make a few more yards quite a few times during the game. So I can see why Dezaria flopped on him.

He did drop on him with some force, so definitely a penalty anytime and maybe a sin bin nowadays.

I thought the reaction was way over the top, more the frustration coming through and hence the over reaction. 

I have seen other players many times have rough tackles and pays against them and not react. Accept the penalty and sin binning to the opposition and get on with it. 

It was way over the top and as I say the frustration at being well defeated and the initial legal tackle knocked him for six and to say again the secondary a penalty but take away the frustration and he doesn't react....

I would expect a significant ban not just for the reaction of punching, but the punching was to the head. If trying to eliminate high tackles then punching to the head is worse as it isn't accidental and no mitigation.

A longish ban for both the punching and additional hitting to the head.

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Don't be so melodramatic. 

Cullen picked up some cards but played many many games when he didn't.

The problem with the past is that we only remember the memorable parts.   

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

That was pretty dominant stuff from Catalans and pretty woeful stuff from Wigan. Our front row has improved somewhat from last season in the first few games but that improvement hasn't been consistent. Singleton has been poor, Mago inconsistent and a bit of a liability when defending. Tonight we were also let down by Bateman and Farrell who had poor games. Add that to Wigan trying to play without earning the right to and it was just a disaster from a Wigan point of view.

The frustrating thing was we had a ball playing loose forward on the bench and he was brought on to toil at hooker, and KPP was our only real threat and Peet kept him isolated at centre where he was never going to get the ball. I can't understand why he wasn't brought into the middle of the field more.

Definitely a wake up call and a worrying slip back into what we produced last season.

I thought Wigan had wrestled themselves back into the game 2nd half. They limited Catalan yardage forcing kicks from deep. They were able to start their six from fairly high up their half.

Having starting to push Catalan on defensive they were either just poor attacking wise or Catalan defence was just too good.

When Catalan absorbed the pressure and the long kick resulting in penalty for late shot on Tomkins leading to try... I think Wigan just ran hard but without any creativity.

For me I don't think they were too badly outside the last 20, they just lacked attacking prowess with too many errors, although it was difficult weather.

16 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Well the ref had allowed players up after the tackle and make a few more yards quite a few times during the game. So I can see why Dezaria flopped on him.

He did drop on him with some force, so definitely a penalty anytime and maybe a sin bin nowadays.

I thought the reaction was way over the top, more the frustration coming through and hence the over reaction. 

I have seen other players many times have rough tackles and pays against them and not react. Accept the penalty and sin binning to the opposition and get on with it. 

It was way over the top and as I say the frustration at being well defeated and the initial legal tackle knocked him for six and to say again the secondary a penalty but take away the frustration and he doesn't react....

I would expect a significant ban not just for the reaction of punching, but the punching was to the head. If trying to eliminate high tackles then punching to the head is worse as it isn't accidental and no mitigation.

A longish ban for both the punching and additional hitting to the head.

I think the issue is Dezaria could have caused a serious injury. There can be no excuses for this. Therefore it was a clear red card regardless of the reaction. 

It was nothing to do with the score as Wigan had been very passive upto then. 

Wigan looked a lot weaker than I expected. I hoped Catalans would win, but for the good of the league, I also hoped for a strong Wigan performance. There are NSW Cup sides who would have put up more of a fight than that. Embarrassing.

Archived