Thurs 28th Apr : SL : Wakefield Trinity v Huddersfield Giants KO 20:00 SKY

Who will win?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • Huddersfield Giants

14 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Att 3166 - shocker

They said on Radio Leeds Huddersfield only brought 200 and then he was being generous. So giving it was on Sky Sports 3k is about average for us. But very hard to take and no doubt it will be less if the passion is not there as quoted by Craig Huby on RadioL...quote me if I'm wrong I wasn't paying much attention to who was commentating to busy listening to the commentary. Had £30 on Trinity +4 at 10/11 would of rather we had the 2 pass in the bag but there go's. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Jon Wells is one odd man. Strange opinion that KR have nothing to worry about. Glad he got pulled up on that. 

I clocked that, he seemed really Peed off that Huddersfield had won.

I'm sure Tony Smith and the rovers players will be assured that they can put their feet up ready for an easy game next week 🙄

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Trin said:

They said on Radio Leeds Huddersfield only brought 200 and then he was being generous. So giving it was on Sky Sports 3k is about average for us. But very hard to take and no doubt it will be less if the passion is not there as quoted by Craig Huby on RadioL...quote me if I'm wrong I wasn't paying much attention to who was commentating to busy listening to the commentary. Had £30 on Trinity +4 at 10/11 would of rather we had the 2 pass in the bag but there go's. 

200-300 is about our regular away following, a lot of regulars didn't go, so 200 seems about right, less than 3000 home fans is a worry though?

Well that's the Wakey hoodoo out of the way and the non winning run put to bed too, once we got in front we were never going to lose that game with neither of wakeys tactics of give it to Johnstone to try and dive in or Fifita to barge through working, they scored a couple of good tries in the 1st half but that 2nd half showed why they are in a relegation battle, they offered nothing in attack and only our own lack of execution kept them in the game though possibly the flu bug running through our camp may have been a bit of a leveller tonight as we looked a bit leggy.

Yates again superb, easily in the top 3 forwards in the league with his work rate and Innes Senior had another great game i thought and he's showing exactly why he's just got a new contract.

Fages and Levi absolutely battered them in the 2nd half, we needed that in the run up to the Semi.

It's a good job Wakefield don't have seats as it would have looked bad for tv viewers with all the empty ones, terracing doesn't count though the stands are so dark it was hard to tell if there was anyone in them or not.

Anyway we're back into the top 4 and pushed them into further danger so all in all a good night, let's hope we have another next Saturday

Hurrah for the Claret & Gold

4 minutes ago, meast said:

200-300 is about our regular away following, a lot of regulars didn't go, so 200 seems about right, less than 3000 home fans is a worry though?

Compared to 10-15 years ago maybe. I was down for the Cas home game think there were 5.5k and cas must of brought 1500-2000 and it was the Catalans/Toulouse game on sky that night so its not bad considering it's on Sky and we charge steeply £25 which I agree is alot of dough but considering the likes of what Football clubs charge you can't complain when RL players put the bodies on the line unlike soft footballers. Let's face reality if we continue to play like this the crowds will continue to dwindle away.

18 minutes ago, The Mighty Trin said:

Shocking, how dare our fans not pay £25 to help Wakefield's crowd look better

15 minutes ago, meast said:

I clocked that, he seemed really Peed off that Huddersfield had won.

I'm sure Tony Smith and the rovers players will be assured that they can put their feet up ready for an easy game next week 🙄

I heard a rumour he was sacked/removed from his role at Cas due to a complaint against him by a Huddersfield supporter or member, not sure what for or why but maybe that's why he has a sudden dislike of us?

44 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Att 3166 - shocker

Good job it wasn't at Huddersfield then!!

Do wakey fans think the ticket price is affecting their crowds or is it just a case of they have just naturally gone down due to Covid/bad performanc etc?

I enjoyed that game - a real good contest from start to finish. Levi, Lino, Kay Jowitt, Yates, and Fages were great. Murphy also looks a talent. Fifita and Lynne are a lot better running straight and hard rather than the rubbish they served up today. I didn't count the crowd or pay much attention to the stuff around the big green rectangle the players were playing on - so no comments on those subjects😀

32 minutes ago, HullWire said:

I enjoyed that game - a real good contest from start to finish. Levi, Lino, Kay Jowitt, Yates, and Fages were great. Murphy also looks a talent. Fifita and Lynne are a lot better running straight and hard rather than the rubbish they served up today. I didn't count the crowd or pay much attention to the stuff around the big green rectangle the players were playing on - so no comments on those subjects😀

Murphy was the best academy winger in the league last year by a mile. Scoring for fun in a wakey academy that beat almost every team put in front of them. He’s been scoring for fun in reserves too.m with a hattrick few weeks back. Got great balance and a big engine.

We have a ton of talent coming through the books. Bowes the young 9 is another that’s starting to push through. Had a decent game today and was surprised he didn’t come back on.

43 minutes ago, HullWire said:

I agree it was a great game and you have analysed it well I think!

If I can add, I thought Fages made all of the three tries and was outstanding - though I always like him so may be biased!

I think Fifita was a bit rusty, Johnstone too. I would imagine they will be a lot more productive away at Toulouse and Leeds, games they should win if they can find the form they showed against Warrington. 

It did feel like a missed opportunity for Wakefield. The turning point was when they didn't score when camped on the line in the second half. 

I thought Huddersfield looked slick and there is obviously a lot more to come.

£25 is a lot of money to many people and with the cost of living getting worse they won't pay it especially if there's two of them. It's what Wakefield charge and people will make their own minds up,shame really to get crowds off 3000 for SL but Thursday night doesn't help.

7 hours ago, Trojan Horse said:

We have a ton of talent coming through the books. Bowes the young 9 is another that’s starting to push through. Had a decent game today and was surprised he didn’t come back on.

I think Bowes received a crusher during that 1st half during a tackle from English.  Possibly related to that?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, Fevrover said:

but Thursday night doesn't help.

I don't get this "Thursday is a problem" malarkey. RL is played in a pretty small geographical area. If Chelsea fans can get to Old Trafford on a Thursday,  and Glasgow Rangers fans to Leipzig then surely getting to Wakefield isn't a problem. 

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I don't get this "Thursday is a problem" malarkey. RL is played in a pretty small geographical area. If Chelsea fans can get to Old Trafford on a Thursday,  and Glasgow Rangers fans to Leipzig then surely getting to Wakefield isn't a problem. 

Wakefield’s last home game on a Sunday, their traditional day, against Salford drew 4,371 as the crowd, so quite a significant drop off last night. 

15 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

What the h**l is wrong with people on here. Sorry to be so blunt but our Featherstone pal sumed it up. People don't have the money simple. £25 is a lot of cash. I've travelled 200 miles to watch us play Featherstone in the friendly in Jan and was down to watch us against Castleford and if any neutrals who seen that game seen we didn't turn up and to shell out £115 for us all is alot...no apologies given to the fans. Then no disrespect to Huddersfield I thought we would have seen us get over the line against them with a fully fit squad. With 6pts on the board I can't imagine the fans coming back any time soon. 

There was just 2,667 at the Warrington v Wakefield league game. Its across the league. If a team is not doing well they will stay away and save their money simple just like the wire fans did a couple of months back.

I remember back in my teenage years I walked to Pontefract 8.5 miles on a Sunday (no bus) to then catch a bus to W/field then after the game get another to Leeds then back to the village on another and that's when we were in the Championship getting crowds of 1.2k to 1.5k unless it was against Featherstone or Hull FC/KR now that was dedication. Times have changed now most of us are all skint. Next match for me will be the Magic Weekend...just hope we can get out of this rot.

Up the Trinity

I'm more concerned after last night than some of the recent debacles. For example in the cup against Wigan we were blown away by star players having good games. Against Cas we had some bad luck and certainly bad refereeing but far more importantly poor execution and an unforgivably poor attitude to the adversity. However, games like that happen to all teams occasionally (though Wakey seem more prone than most)! Last night we played a team facing plenty of their own adversity who managed to execute a really simple game plan and in spite of obvious effort on our part it was clear we had no answers. Not even hints of answers most of the time. The problem which Trin fans have known since last season, and which was more starkly exposed last night than previously, was lack of props. We have one super league quality prop who struggles with fitness and counteracts some undeniably good work with regular brain farts including one which put us right on the back foot yesterday. It's especially a shame as there is excitement and talent waiting to burst out of our back line if only they had the platform. Depressingly there is no obvious answer and it is becoming increasingly clear to other teams how to shut us out of a game.

At the moment, I would make us clear favourites for relegation. I'm sure the players will fight hard and we have plenty of good players but I don't believe the team (or at least the balance of the team) is good enough. BUT...giving up is always a poor option in life; far better to look for creative answers. We have a luxury asset in Tom Johnstone who has given me more moments of magic than any other in the 30+ years I've been watching and who I'd hate to see leave, but we have a massive need for a good prop. Is it possible that there is a team with a SL quality prop (SL or NRL) who feel they could make better use of TJ's talents than we do and who would be prepared to do a swap deal now? If we think there is a realistic chance of keeping TJ next year, could this be done as a swap loan deal till the end of the season (admittedly kicking the can of the prop problem down the road but right now I'd do that)?!

18 hours ago, daz39 said:

For a view of the pitch and somewhere to stand or sit to actually watch the game you're paying for without risking a fall or other injury and somewhere something above basic to go to the loo yes, unfortunately Wakefield offer none of them for visiting supporters.

Are you suggesting Wakefield can match Huddersfield/Hull/Wigan/Saints/Salford etc for the whole matchday experience and are justified in charging in most cases more than the other clubs?

Not 1 Wakefield fan would pay that kind of price for a dump like they play at anywhere else for £25 or anywhere near it.

God knows who actually decided to stick that price on, must have been a dare or something.

Ok, but you're comparing chalk and cheese. Huddersfield and Wakefield are in completely different situations.

Huddersfield have someone to supplement any shortfall in income and as such can give discounts for attendance (especially season tickets). 

Wakefield have an accountant in charge and no sugar daddy. They must maximise income in a limited market (poor/limited facilities and decades of no success). £25 x 4000 = £100k. If it was £10 entry they would need 10k attendance to match this amount. How many do you think would attend at £10 in current circumstances? 5 or 6k? Half the income.(Capacity is currently limited to 7k anyway).

ATEOTD income not attendance is king in professional sport.

Despite the cheaper prices and "better experience", Huddersfield's crowds are not much better.

From a personal point of view, I find the "experience" at Huddersfield far inferior. I dislike sitting to watch RL and lack of atmosphere makes it bland. I might as well stay at home and watch on TV. My sofa is more comfortable than a plastic seat.

Under the previous administration Wakefield were getting 8k crowds in a "pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap" mentality, but the owner was losing £600k a year which almost sent the club bust. 

It's a difficult and slow process growing a club like Wakefield and they've ridden their luck, but there are no quick fixes without a sugar daddy and they've progressed immensely since 2015. The changes are not obvious to outsiders, but they are truly on the verge of turning it around. 

2 hours ago, The Mighty Trin said:

What the h**l is wrong with people on here. Sorry to be so blunt but our Featherstone pal sumed it up. People don't have the money simple. £25 is a lot of cash. I've travelled 200 miles to watch us play Featherstone in the friendly in Jan and was down to watch us against Castleford and if any neutrals who seen that game seen we didn't turn up and to shell out £115 for us all is alot...no apologies given to the fans. Then no disrespect to Huddersfield I thought we would have seen us get over the line against them with a fully fit squad. With 6pts on the board I can't imagine the fans coming back any time soon. 

There was just 2,667 at the Warrington v Wakefield league game. Its across the league. If a team is not doing well they will stay away and save their money simple just like the wire fans did a couple of months back.

I remember back in my teenage years I walked to Pontefract 8.5 miles on a Sunday (no bus) to then catch a bus to W/field then after the game get another to Leeds then back to the village on another and that's when we were in the Championship getting crowds of 1.2k to 1.5k unless it was against Featherstone or Hull FC/KR now that was dedication. Times have changed now most of us are all skint. Next match for me will be the Magic Weekend...just hope we can get out of this rot.

Up the Trinity

8,164 at the league game

the 2667 was the cup game, all ticket sales, no members

1 hour ago, north yorks trinity said:

I'm more concerned after last night than some of the recent debacles. For example in the cup against Wigan we were blown away by star players having good games. Against Cas we had some bad luck and certainly bad refereeing but far more importantly poor execution and an unforgivably poor attitude to the adversity. However, games like that happen to all teams occasionally (though Wakey seem more prone than most)! Last night we played a team facing plenty of their own adversity who managed to execute a really simple game plan and in spite of obvious effort on our part it was clear we had no answers. Not even hints of answers most of the time. The problem which Trin fans have known since last season, and which was more starkly exposed last night than previously, was lack of props. We have one super league quality prop who struggles with fitness and counteracts some undeniably good work with regular brain farts including one which put us right on the back foot yesterday. It's especially a shame as there is excitement and talent waiting to burst out of our back line if only they had the platform. Depressingly there is no obvious answer and it is becoming increasingly clear to other teams how to shut us out of a game.

At the moment, I would make us clear favourites for relegation. I'm sure the players will fight hard and we have plenty of good players but I don't believe the team (or at least the balance of the team) is good enough. BUT...giving up is always a poor option in life; far better to look for creative answers. We have a luxury asset in Tom Johnstone who has given me more moments of magic than any other in the 30+ years I've been watching and who I'd hate to see leave, but we have a massive need for a good prop. Is it possible that there is a team with a SL quality prop (SL or NRL) who feel they could make better use of TJ's talents than we do and who would be prepared to do a swap deal now? If we think there is a realistic chance of keeping TJ next year, could this be done as a swap loan deal till the end of the season (admittedly kicking the can of the prop problem down the road but right now I'd do that)?!

Saw Trinity v Dragons earlier on in the season and thought they looked a good tight knit unit they certainly played well that night.

Paul

Archived