Warrington-a poor season

I dont know what has gone wrong at warrington, not just this year but in the last several. 

There have been some incredibly strange signings which must have cost a fortune and then numerous players leaving in recent times not least the early departure of mike cooper. 

All very strange. 

8 minutes ago, The storm said:

I dont know what has gone wrong at warrington, not just this year but in the last several. 

There have been some incredibly strange signings which must have cost a fortune and then numerous players leaving in recent times not least the early departure of mike cooper. 

All very strange. 

To say the Wolves have a had a poor season is an understatement

• Like 1

Perhaps Dallas can help?

• Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

To be four points off the relegation zone is criminal, really, looking at the playing squad that started the year. I don’t think anyone expected them to bother the Grand Final but to be 10th is shocking. 

A completely unnecessary stripping of the squad by Powell. 

• Like 1

Thinking it might not be their year.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, The storm said:

All very strange. 

In the last 4 years:

2021 - 3rd (Cup semi) 

2020 - 3rd (Cup semi) 

2019 - 4th (Cup winners) 

2018 - 4th (Grand Final losers and Cup Final losers). 

That is a solid set of results, but was utterly boring RL and was a team that continued to come uo short. I'm not sure how we have convinced ourselves as a club that we needed a huge change and start again. A quality coach really should have been able to come in and build on what we had, there were plenty of good things happening, regularly beating and competing with the likes of Saints and Wigan and Catalans. 

It's like asking a builder to add a conservatory to my home and he bulldozers it before he starts. 

I hope we look back on this year as a blip, but flirting with relegation was surely part of no-ones plan. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

In the last 4 years:

2021 - 3rd (Cup semi) 

2020 - 3rd (Cup semi) 

2019 - 4th (Cup winners) 

2018 - 4th (Grand Final losers and Cup Final losers). 

That is a solid set of results, but was utterly boring RL and was a team that continued to come uo short. I'm not sure how we have convinced ourselves as a club that we needed a huge change and start again. A quality coach really should have been able to come in and build on what we had, there were plenty of good things happening, regularly beating and competing with the likes of Saints and Wigan and Catalans. 

It's like asking a builder to add a conservatory to my home and he bulldozers it before he starts. 

I hope we look back on this year as a blip, but flirting with relegation was surely part of no-ones plan. 

You are somehow counting cup semi finals as an achievement 

Well ive got 9 O levels

How mad is that

10 minutes ago, The storm said:

Well ive got 9 O levels

How mad is that

I'm listing where we finished in both comps. 

• Like 1

Powell had some mystifying player recruitment/retention decision’s leading into his first season but the last few weeks they’ve just got worse as he’s gutted a team that isn’t out of the relegation scrap yet.

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Powell had some mystifying player recruitment/retention decision’s leading into his first season but the last few weeks they’ve just got worse as he’s gutted a team that isn’t out of the relegation scrap yet.

Its bizarre to say the least

He needs to be able to manage different personalities and opinions

Thought Cooper was Warrington's best forward this season and now Powell has allowed him to leave.

Doesn't make much sense to me. As a Wigan fan though it's good to see the club recruit a player of Cooper's calibre and earlier than we thought. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The storm said:

All very strange. 

Can I please introduce you to our CEO through this glorious period….one Karl KissKam Fitzpatrick.

As I've said previously Powell and Warrington just seem to have written off this season to then waste no time on getting started rebuilding. 

The Warrington team were never that bad to really warrant this approach. Something must have gone awfully wrong and something must be really awry when it comes to the culture. If this doesn't work out next season then the buck has to stop with Powell. 

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, The storm said:

Well ive got 9 O levels

How mad is that

Well its definitely an indictment on our education system 😛

19 minutes ago, Damien said:

As I've said previously Powell and Warrington just seem to have written off this season to then waste no time on getting started rebuilding. 

The Warrington team were never that bad to really warrant this approach. Something must have gone awfully wrong and something must be really awry when it comes to the culture. If this doesn't work out next season then the buck has to stop with Powell. 

I recon he's got about 6 games next season to show that something has changed.. its baffling at the moment. I get the clear out and the change in personnel for next season but I would love to know what is going on to see the players leaving when they are.. and especially someone like Cooper when one of the big things we seem to be lacking is that go forward platform from the front row!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think Cooper will go well for you guys. He's very effective as part of a rotation and does a lot of high quality work. 

Decent quality experienced British props aren't that easy to come by and I think he'll add value to your pack. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RP London said:

I recon he's got about 6 games next season to show that something has changed.. its baffling at the moment. I get the clear out and the change in personnel for next season but I would love to know what is going on to see the players leaving when they are.. and especially someone like Cooper when one of the big things we seem to be lacking is that go forward platform from the front row!

There have been a few worrying signs for me. He appears to be quite old school and listening to him talking appears to be a bit of a throwback rather than a modern, progressive man, but that is a perception based on limited interviews etc. 

But I think the biggest issue is that there appear to be an element of gaslighting going on. For a few years now people have talked about a poor culture at Warrington, and it seems to be solely based on the fact that we have lost a few Grand Finals.

Over the last decade, Saints have won 4 SL titles, Wigan 3 and Leeds 3. We've lost in 4 finals, in great, close finals.

Our average league position in the last 10 years is beaten only by Wigan and Saints IIRC. 

Similarly in the Cup, we've played in 6 of the last 14 finals, winning 4 of them. 

Those things don't suggest a huge culture issue at the club. Sure, it is disappointing we have never been able to make that final step to truly compete with Saints, Wigan and Leeds, but these are all the giants of RL. 

I really don't understand this position that huge changes were needed - surely building on what we already had was the way?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There have been a few worrying signs for me. He appears to be quite old school and listening to him talking appears to be a bit of a throwback rather than a modern, progressive man, but that is a perception based on limited interviews etc. 

But I think the biggest issue is that there appear to be an element of gaslighting going on. For a few years now people have talked about a poor culture at Warrington, and it seems to be solely based on the fact that we have lost a few Grand Finals.

Over the last decade, Saints have won 4 SL titles, Wigan 3 and Leeds 3. We've lost in 4 finals, in great, close finals.

Our average league position in the last 10 years is beaten only by Wigan and Saints IIRC. 

Similarly in the Cup, we've played in 6 of the last 14 finals, winning 4 of them. 

Those things don't suggest a huge culture issue at the club. Sure, it is disappointing we have never been able to make that final step to truly compete with Saints, Wigan and Leeds, but these are all the giants of RL. 

I really don't understand this position that huge changes were needed - surely building on what we already had was the way?

As an outsider i agree.

If you look at Leeds’s situation since 2017, it’s been obvious there needed to be a rebuild, I think the threat of relegation has stalled that process somewhat as weve made some odd signings just to try and fill the gaps, we went into this season with s lot of hope but it was clear the players needed a new voice and a different approach, thankfully and I know it’s early days but it seems we’ve appointed the right coach for the job.

Wire IMO didn’t need wholesale changes and surgery they have been competing at the top for a few years now and I think they just needed the right coach to come in and tweak things a bit like Peet at Wigan.

Powell has come in like a bulldozer and the thing is, as good as a coach he might be he isn’t the guy to do it IMO, Wire have a bit of a record of failing at the final hurdle and they’ve brought in a coach who has pretty much failed at the final hurdle throughout his career.

I watched a feature on YouTube before the season started and it was him taking his first session, it was boring, uninspiring and pretty much saying you e been getting everything wrong and im going to come in and change everything, which came across as a red flag to me. Compare that with the feature on Rohan Smith on sky when he joined Leeds and it was the total opposite 

Now, he may go on to prove us all wrong but id be a bit worried about next year aswell

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

As an outsider i agree.

If you look at Leeds’s situation since 2017, it’s been obvious there needed to be a rebuild, I think the threat of relegation has stalled that process somewhat as weve made some odd signings just to try and fill the gaps, we went into this season with s lot of hope but it was clear the players needed a new voice and a different approach, thankfully and I know it’s early days but it seems we’ve appointed the right coach for the job.

Wire IMO didn’t need wholesale changes and surgery they have been competing at the top for a few years now and I think they just needed the right coach to come in and tweak things a bit like Peet at Wigan.

Powell has come in like a bulldozer and the thing is, as good as a coach he might be he isn’t the guy to do it IMO, Wire have a bit of a record of failing at the final hurdle and they’ve brought in a coach who has pretty much failed at the final hurdle throughout his career.

I watched a feature on YouTube before the season started and it was him taking his first session, it was boring, uninspiring and pretty much saying you e been getting everything wrong and im going to come in and change everything, which came across as a red flag to me. Compare that with the feature on Rohan Smith on sky when he joined Leeds and it was the total opposite 

Now, he may go on to prove us all wrong but id be a bit worried about next year aswell

I'm less worried about the 'fall at the final hurdle point', many coaches and clubs do that, until they win one. 

But agree about the whole rebuild thing. Has Powell ever conducted a wholesale clear out like this, and in fact, have there been any great examples of this at the top end of SL ever? 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm less worried about the 'fall at the final hurdle point', many coaches and clubs do that, until they win one. 

But agree about the whole rebuild thing. Has Powell ever conducted a wholesale clear out like this, and in fact, have there been any great examples of this at the top end of SL ever? 

Actually there has been and it was actually Powell that did it in 2002 at Leeds.

But the problem with that example is he couldn’t manage to get that team across that final hurdle and it took Tony Smith coming in to achieve it.

• Like 1