Wales vs Lebanon at Swinton

32 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

…?  

Haha, apologies, was busy and didn't realise I'd pressed submit. 

The problem is, that that line sort of gives a free pass to anything that is rather rubbish. We know things are tough, but in reality, if we can't stage internationals, then why do we really have international teams. 

And the answer can't be to shoot down those who challenge this, as was seen recently around neutral internationals being staged in Sydney. 

Im a pragmatist, I get that we can't be crazy and run before we can walk, but we can't just keep going with Wales, Scotland, Jamaica etc. playing games in England and everyone else playing games in Sydney. 

We talk about minimum standards in SL, I think we need to take a long hard look at our international scene in terms of standards too. 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Haha, apologies, was busy and didn't realise I'd pressed submit. 

The problem is, that that line sort of gives a free pass to anything that is rather rubbish. We know things are tough, but in reality, if we can't stage internationals, then why do we really have international teams. 

And the answer can't be to shoot down those who challenge this, as was seen recently around neutral internationals being staged in Sydney. 

Im a pragmatist, I get that we can't be crazy and run before we can walk, but we can't just keep going with Wales, Scotland, Jamaica etc. playing games in England and everyone else playing games in Sydney. 

We talk about minimum standards in SL, I think we need to take a long hard look at our international scene in terms of standards too. 

Fair enough

5 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Neither was i as regards the Lebanese and Welsh Communities.

I'm aware of a couple of Lebanese restaurants and that's about it.

I am aware of a couple of Lebanese eateries in Leicester and Derby. Why not?

RFL logic is if a referee doesn't see a trip, but everyone in the ground does. then if the disciplinary panel then punishes it, the said cheating player can successfully appeal on the basis that the official nor touch judges were flexible with their eyesight.

So Pride Park it is. They need the money.

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Feels like Swinton though are doing the right thing here really when you consider the circumstances outlined by Steve Wild.

In the interests of balance we could be positive about what they are trying to do.

As for Wales, it would be better if they could play in Wales, but this might be the best option and they get a preparation game.

The Lebanese community angle is interesting and there is a Lebanese restaurant around the fancy Spinningfield part of Manchester City Centre.

Hopefully awareness of the game can be made possible if people have contacts for that community.

I agree with you.

A lot of rl sides play in soccer stadiums so if we are being fair, I don't think we can criticise Swinton because they play at a ground that hosts union also. 

As you refer to, Manchester has an interesting diaspora of Lebanese. The only Welsh city that has is Cardiff, but that is not really an rl city with much Welsh support. 

In football, as we know, many teams now play games outside of their country. Brasil play in London sometimes. The French Super cup was recently played in Tel Aviv!

I agree we should be highlighting the many positives. 

• Like 1

On 09/08/2022 at 20:44, Damien said:

It's not even in Swinton, it's at a lower league RU ground in Sale. At least keep the money in the game.

It doesn’t keep money in the game - Sale RU will benefit. 

15 hours ago, steve wild said:

For info, we at Swinton Lions were approached directly by the competing nations who were looking for a mutually convenient venue for the game, based on the location of their respective World Cup bases.  Heywood Road might be modest in size (just over 3,000 capacity), but it has a good number of seats and excellent corporate and bar facilities etc.  The ground is 4 miles from the venue for the World Cup Final, and within the Trafford & South Manchester area where Swinton Lions are doing a fantastic amount of development work via one of the fastest growing Foundations in RL. The ground is 2 minutes from the Manchester Metro System, 2 miles from the M60 Manchester ring road, and 3 miles from Manchester airport . There is also a sizeable Lebanese community in and around Manchester. Swinton Lions are facilitating the game, and not Sale rugby union club , with whom we have a fantastic partnership. I’m a bit disheartened to read some of the negativity on this thread , & it would be great if non-Super League but nevertheless ambitious clubs such as Swinton Lions, who are trying to do their bit to enhance their own reputation and do something for the wider sport, got a little more support for their endeavours. If you live in the Manchester area then why not buy yourself a ticket from our website, and then judge on the actual facts as to whether or not it’s been a success on 8 October. Everyone is welcome !

Ok. Good post. I’ll be there - with a friend too !

• Like 2

Just a quick point to those asserting that playing the game at Heywood Road is deflecting money out of RL. This is simply NOT true. Yes there will be stadium and match day overheads to meet - that applies whenever any game is played - but RL WILL benefit financially from staging this game. I know this for a fact because I negotiated the arrangements! At Swinton we are very proud and honoured to be staging this international, and it would be great to have the support of the RL public. So if you haven’t visited the ground before , then please give it a try. A traditional covered standing area, a good size main stand of about 1300 seats , and fantastic corporate facilities which are as good as anything I’ve experienced across the RL. Affordable tickets, and 5 minutes walk from the Metro. 

• Like 9

One of the issues here that I see, is that we are already trying to sell out 61 games in the RLWC, and we are now staging more games that conflict with these. 

If you want to see Wales or Lebanon in the area, you should have to buy WC tickets. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

One of the issues here that I see, is that we are already trying to sell out 61 games in the RLWC, and we are now staging more games that conflict with these. 

If you want to see Wales or Lebanon in the area, you should have to buy WC tickets. 

That’s 4 warm up games confirmed in Northern England now by my count. Sure they can’t all be played outside England but France & Wales hosting their own is a no brainer.

If finding/affording a 5-10k venue in Wales is really an issue then serious questions probably need to be raised.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I'm pleased that after almost 3 years of no international Men's Welsh RL match, we have a warm up game before the world Cup and makes sense  it being close to the WC base,  I'd still like to see us playing matches here in the 'Non-Principality', whether that be Cardiff, Colwyn Bay or Dwygyfalchi because we will end up once again with zero Welsh media interest and miss a great opportunity to promote the sport here once  again. 

Edited by sgorpioncaerdyddrob
  • Like 3

CARDIFF CITY RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB cardiffrugbyleague.com
BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS!
Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth

Has anyone asked the Welsh RL why the game is being played in Swinton rather than Wales, instead of just coming on this forum and saying it’s a rubbish decision? I’m sure like all of us they’d have preferred it to be played there, but there must be valid reasons why they aren’t. NWC have shown how hard it is to find places to play in Wales when their ground isn’t available. 

39 minutes ago, sgorpioncaerdyddrob said:

Whilst I'm pleased that after almost 3 years of no international Men's Welsh RL match, we have a warm up game before the world Cup and makes sense  it being close to the WC base,  I'd still like to see us playing matches here in the 'Non-Principality', whether that be Cardiff, Colwyn Bay or Dwygyfalchi because we will end up once again with zero Welsh media interest and miss a great opportunity to promote the sport here once  again. 

They played France a few months ago.

On 11/08/2022 at 23:40, steve wild said:

Just a quick point to those asserting that playing the game at Heywood Road is deflecting money out of RL. This is simply NOT true. Yes there will be stadium and match day overheads to meet - that applies whenever any game is played - but RL WILL benefit financially from staging this game. I know this for a fact because I negotiated the arrangements! At Swinton we are very proud and honoured to be staging this international, and it would be great to have the support of the RL public. So if you haven’t visited the ground before , then please give it a try. A traditional covered standing area, a good size main stand of about 1300 seats , and fantastic corporate facilities which are as good as anything I’ve experienced across the RL. Affordable tickets, and 5 minutes walk from the Metro. 

Fair does fella. That convinced me. Not been to Heywood Rd, so See you there then.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2022 at 23:40, steve wild said:

The point is Wales should be playing this in wales. It does not matter if the game is in Swinton, Leeds, Leigh, Warrngton etc, wales is less than 50 miles from Swinton, why are wales not playing in wales.

I'm all for a game at Heywwod Rd, but I would expect it to be between teams from a long way away not less than 30 miles...  Have Jamica v Lebanon there, and this thread would be 100% positive

Edited by crashmon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crashmon said:

The point is Wales should be playing this in wales. It does not matter if the game is in Swinton, Leeds, Leigh, Warrngton etc, wales is less than 50 miles from Swinton, why are wales not playing in wales.

I'm all for a game at Heywwod Rd, but I would expect it to be between teams from a long way away not less than 30 miles...  Have Jamica v Lebanon there, and this thread would be 100% positive

I don't think I've ever seen a 100% positive thread in this forum or ever will. More chance of me winning the Euro Millions 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, crashmon said:

Have you asked the Welsh RL why it isn’t? Maybe there wasn’t a suitable venue available that day, that’s quite possible. 

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Have you asked the Welsh RL why it isn’t? Maybe there wasn’t a suitable venue available that day, that’s quite possible. 

The answer will be variations on: it's close to the training venue and there's no budget for anything else.

They may have the most reasonable explanations going.

It doesn't change that Wales' men's side will soon not have played a home game in Wales in five years and so I can well understand those (like me) who think it's important for countries to play matches in their own country being disappointed that they couldn't drive on another hour and find somewhere to play.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)