The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

27 minutes ago, Mark said:

George Roby turns down York and signs for swinton from Huddersfield 

I heard a rumour that York are trying to sign Taylor Pemberton permanently. If they can add him to Will Jubb and Josh Daley, I think they should be pretty happy with their hookers without Roby.

• Like 5

Tariq Sims to Catalans. 

Lots of moving pieces at the Dragons for 2024, having only replaced 2 quota players I'm assuming there'll be more movement to come.

Losses: 

• Sam Tomkins (Retiring)
  • Mitchell Pearce (Retiring)
  • Tyrone May (Hull KR)
  • Tiaki Chan (Wigan)
  • Sio Siua Taukeiaho (Bulldogs)
  • Mickael Goudemand (Leeds)
  • Adam Keighran (Wigan)
  • Matt Whitley (Unconfirmed - St Helens)

Gains: 

• Theo Fages (Huddersfield)
  • Tariq Sims (Melbourne)
  • Chris Satae (Hull FC)

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

39 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Good luck to the lad, hope Watson doesn't ruin him.

But more interested in those season ticket prices at £6.95 per game for U30's and £12.70 per game for the over 30's, if at these prices they do not get well subscribed by the Huddersfield public the message will be loud and clear that top quality Professional RL is not wanted in the town.

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But more interested in those season ticket prices at £6.95 per game for U30's and £12.70 per game for the over 30's, if at these prices they do not get well subscribed by the Huddersfield public the message will be loud and clear that top quality Professional RL is not wanted in the town.

They haven't previously when they've been even lower, people simply aren't interested.

8 minutes ago, daz39 said:

They haven't previously when they've been even lower, people simply aren't interested.

For discussion purposes let's say Huddersfield sell 5000 split equally between under and over 30's that would amount to just £1.3m

One wonders how much Mr Davy is putting in to address the shortfall that must be occuring, obviously in a capped wage player spend it will be no different to any other club, but who are Huddersfield's marquees and what are they paid? Then there are the other wages, ground costs, insurance premiums, travel, and the everyday and matchday running of a professional club, it must be costing him a fortune.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

For discussion purposes let's say Huddersfield sell 5000 split equally between under and over 30's that would amount to just £1.3m

One wonders how much Mr Davy is putting in to address the shortfall that must be occuring, obviously in a capped wage player spend it will be no different to any other club, but who are Huddersfield's marquees and what are they paid? Then there are the other wages, ground costs, insurance premiums, travel, and the everyday and matchday running of a professional club, it must be costing him a fortune.

It is, hence how frustrating it his for him too.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, daz39 said:

What else is Huddersfield doing to connect to the people that live in the area? 

I honestly haven't seen much other than dramatically reducing ticket prices, that doesn't help bring people in, if anything it just cheapens the product IMO.

5 minutes ago, Click said:

What else is Huddersfield doing to connect to the people that live in the area? 

I honestly haven't seen much other than dramatically reducing ticket prices, that doesn't help bring people in, if anything it just cheapens the product IMO.

Same as usual, advertising, they've electronic ads in the bus and train stations, advertisements in the University and student unions, they go into local schools and do sessions/school holiday camps, offers with the local council and NHS staff.

Obviously we're limited to what we can do due to the fact we have literally 4/5 staff to do it all as opposed to 15-20 at the bigger clubs.

Edited by daz39
  • Like 2

Just now, daz39 said:

Same as usual, advertising, they've electronic ads in the bus and train stations, fadvertisements in the University and student unions, they go into local schools and do sessions/school holiday camps, offers with the local council and NHS staff.

Obviously we're limited to what we can do due to the fact we have literally 4/5 staff to do it all as opposed to 15-20 at the bigger clubs.

Out of all that, going into the local schools and doing sessions, etc is probably your most effective tool - 

Advertising is great, but it depends on what you are advertising - If it is just a game of RL, then people may not be interested, if you are putting on more events around the game of RL then people might be more interested, as an example. 

Things like discounts for council/NHS staff is always good, but it generally is the norm nowadays, so I just feel that clubs need to do more in attracting people, unfortunately RL isn't in the consciousness enough that people will be attracted to it simply because people think "oh the rugby league is on, great, lets go" So it is just worth asking the questions of, what are we selling? Is it just a night out at the RL, are we selling to families and doing things to bring more children in, or doing more events like Toronto with beer tents/festivals to get perhaps 18 - 40 yr olds more interested in attending.

Unfortunately, we aren't like football where we can just advertise a game of sport. IMO, we have to do more than that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UTK said:

Tariq Sims to Catalans. 

Lots of moving pieces at the Dragons for 2024, having only replaced 2 quota players I'm assuming there'll be more movement to come.

Losses: 

• Sam Tomkins (Retiring)
  • Tyrone May (Hull KR)
  • Tiaki Chan (Wigan)
  • Adam Keighran (Wigan)

Gains: 

• Tariq Sims (Melbourne)
  • Chris Satae (Hull FC)

I think Goudemand is a good player but maybe doesn’t fit with their plans.  

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

Would a better long term strategy not therefore to be to invest in backroom staff to grow the fan base, rather than cut costs for those who'd probably have paid full price anyway?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 minute ago, gazza77 said:

Would a better long term strategy not therefore to be to invest in backroom staff to grow the fan base, rather than cut costs for those who'd probably have paid full price anyway?

No idea personally, you'd have to ask the club that.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Harry Huddersfield is a football town and always has been. Fartown have only had one brief spell since the Fifties ( a lifetime ago ) when crowds showed any signs of increasing to any degree and that was under Nathan browns tenure, We were playing football that was good to watch, we were winning our share of games and people were responding, Sadly that all went belly up but the lesson is clear to see. Under P Anderson we won the hubcap  playing a different style of football altogether and it did nothing for our crowds.

Regards Mr Davy and it costing him a fortune, I wouldn't worry about it mate , He has a few fortunes at his disposal, Nobody made him buy the Giants unless his good lady wife did, and you can rest assured you don't get as rich as he is by being a fool and not know what your doing.

People forget ( of perhaps never knew ) that he also saved Huddersfield Town from extinction as well and ultimately got a lot of grief for his trouble, For me he deserves to be honored in some way but he is known mostly for his link to the Giants and the profile of League is very very low in contrast to football so his contributions will more than likely be ignored.

Huddersfield is a big town with it's surrounding areas, and a successful side playing good rugby would get a reasonable crowd but there have been so many false dawns people have just turned away from League, They have to be won back and for me |It's all about whats on offer on the field, far more than cheap tickets and so forth ( although they may well help)

Just my opinion of course and there will be plenty of different ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

11 hours ago, UTK said:

Tariq Sims to Catalans. 

Losses: 

• Sam Tomkins (Retiring)
  • Tyrone May (Hull KR)
  • Tiaki Chan (Wigan)
  • Adam Keighran (Wigan)

Gains: 

• Tariq Sims (Melbourne)
  • Chris Satae (Hull FC)

tyrone may and adam keighran are massive  losses for cats - plenty of top quality rugby left in those 2  - intersting to see who they bring in to avoid a slump in fortunes

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

32 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

tyrone may and adam keighran are massive  losses for cats - plenty of top quality rugby left in those 2  - intersting to see who they bring in to avoid a slump in fortunes

Yeah, I thought the South of France was this hallowed ground that everyone wants to go to and play there, and there's these two swopping all that for East Hull and Wiggin.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

Harry Huddersfield is a football town and always has been. Fartown have only had one brief spell since the Fifties ( a lifetime ago ) when crowds showed any signs of increasing to any degree and that was under Nathan browns tenure, We were playing football that was good to watch, we were winning our share of games and people were responding, Sadly that all went belly up but the lesson is clear to see. Under P Anderson we won the hubcap  playing a different style of football altogether and it did nothing for our crowds.

Regards Mr Davy and it costing him a fortune, I wouldn't worry about it mate , He has a few fortunes at his disposal, Nobody made him buy the Giants unless his good lady wife did, and you can rest assured you don't get as rich as he is by being a fool and not know what your doing.

People forget ( of perhaps never knew ) that he also saved Huddersfield Town from extinction as well and ultimately got a lot of grief for his trouble, For me he deserves to be honored in some way but he is known mostly for his link to the Giants and the profile of League is very very low in contrast to football so his contributions will more than likely be ignored.

Huddersfield is a big town with it's surrounding areas, and a successful side playing good rugby would get a reasonable crowd but there have been so many false dawns people have just turned away from League, They have to be won back and for me |It's all about whats on offer on the field, far more than cheap tickets and so forth ( although they may well help)

Good post, don't think the dour displays on the pitch are doing much for the cause, perhaps Mr Davy has miscalculated somewhat regarding the coach?

22 hours ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

Has Davy got the finances to consider building a smaller purpose built community stadium alongside another commercial development?

The football stadium seems way too big for Huddersfield Giants average gate or even potential average?

Sorry for taking us on a non transfer related tangent, but if Davy could move the Giants would that help?

15 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Wigan have got a fantastic squad for 2024, i might be tempted to put a fiver on them to do the double next season. 
As for Saints, well it’s all quite on the transfer front…..still. 

Why do you think it’s quiet, mate?

Are Saints hierarchy hoping for further development from the younger players at the club?

As you say with Wigan putting together a good squad already then Saints can’t afford to rest on their laurels even though it’s already been an amazing era.

20 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Why do you think it’s quiet, mate?

Are Saints hierarchy hoping for further development from the younger players at the club?

As you say with Wigan putting together a good squad already then Saints can’t afford to rest on their laurels even though it’s already been an amazing era.

I don't think it's that quiet at Saints.

Clark for Roby is a big signing and (whisper it) could well improve us. Whitley in allows Sione to spend time at prop to replace LMS (an upgrade overall).

Sounds like Eseh is coming in as the "project" signing to replace Norman - quite excited by him actually.

I imagine we have one more signing to come - lots of noise around Waqa Blake who would fill a gap in the squad at centre/wing but then we also have Ritson who will be no doubt be better for another off-season, as will Delaney/Bennison and some of the younger ones. None of the players Saints have done so well with from the lower leagues (Walmsley, Bentley, Batchelor) have hit the ground running in year one but the club has a decent track record of getting them to where they need to be.

I don't personally subscribe to the laurel resting thing at Saints, I think we continue to recruit in the right places and trust the pathway/culture will support the rest.

Someone linked us with Brodie Croft, which would be a great signing but sounds like nonsense to me. Not fussed on the Newman rumours and expect they are nonsense too.

Wigan squad does indeed look very, very strong. They are finally plugging some holes that have been blindingly obvious for some time. Just need the likes of Wire/Leeds/Hull to turn up to the party some time soon and we would have a league on our hands.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FearTheVee said:

I don't think it's that quiet at Saints.

Clark for Roby is a big signing and (whisper it) could well improve us. Whitley in allows Sione to spend time at prop to replace LMS (an upgrade overall).

Sounds like Eseh is coming in as the "project" signing to replace Norman - quite excited by him actually.

I imagine we have one more signing to come - lots of noise around Waqa Blake who would fill a gap in the squad at centre/wing but then we also have Ritson who will be no doubt be better for another off-season, as will Delaney/Bennison and some of the younger ones.

I don't personally subscribe to the laurel resting thing at Saints, I think we continue to recruit in the right places and trust the pathway/culture will support the rest.

Someone linked us with Brodie Croft, which would be a great signing but sounds like nonsense to me. Not fussed on the Newman rumours and expect they are nonsense too.

Thanks and I agree that Saints have stayed up and around the top for a long time precisely because they don’t rest on their laurels i.e. talk of transition seasons etc