The World Cup

Does anyone know when we’ll start seeing game day squads? I know Australia did theirs Tuesday afternoon which is standard for NRL, interesting that none of the Southern Hemisphere based teams followed.

Can we expect the Super League system instead of a 19 man squad 2-3(?) days prior? Or something different again entirely?

Edited by jim_57

4 hours ago, jim_57 said:

Does anyone know when we’ll start seeing game day squads? I know Australia did theirs Tuesday afternoon which is standard for NRL, interesting that none of the Southern Hemisphere based teams followed.

Can we expect the Super League system instead of a 19 man squad 2-3(?) days prior? Or something different again entirely?

Yes I think 48hrs before the match is the standard. Pretty idiotic for the Aussies to stick with Tuesday as there squad naming day in a tournament that some teams will be playing mid week matches in. They really are so far up their own ######. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Yes I think 48hrs before the match is the standard. Pretty idiotic for the Aussies to stick with Tuesday as there squad naming day in a tournament that some teams will be playing mid week matches in. They really are so far up their own ######. 

There is just a whole crazy mashup in Australia between the sport of Rugby League and the NRL brand.

I regularly visit the Fox Sports website fpr Aussie RL news and there is no Rugby League section, jus NRL.  So effectively, this is the NRL World Cup from the Australian perspective. 

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

There is just a whole crazy mashup in Australia between the sport of Rugby League and the NRL brand.

I regularly visit the Fox Sports website fpr Aussie RL news and there is no Rugby League section, jus NRL.  So effectively, this is the NRL World Cup from the Australian perspective. 

It's the same on the Sydney Morning Herald - NRL, RU, soccer, cricket, etc.

AFL has a section, so it almost comes across as trying to ape/outmuscle their market rivals.

• Like 1

Fiji have some really poor news on the injury front - Mikaele Ravalawa has returned home due to a hamstring injury (believe he's torn it a couple of times this season already). Miteli Vulikijapani is the one tipped to replace Ravalawa in the squad.

Pio Seci and Joseph Ratuvakacereivalu were both injured in the warm up against England and also believed to have been ruled out of the tournament with the Bati now searching for replacements.

To top it all off Bati head coach Joe Rabele has been hospitalised and Wise Kativerata has flown over to replace him as head coach in the interim. 

Exactly the preparation you look for a few days out from facing the Kangaroos in the first pool match.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

My League Live app predicts …. Australia will beat England in the Final 

Are you sure it is not set on '2017'

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Are you sure it is not set on '2017'

There’s an interesting article on it about how unpopular the Aussies are with not wanting to come last year , and squad numbers … and how they hardly play 

On 12/10/2022 at 18:48, Dunbar said:

I just saw a piece on NRL.com featuring Dwayne Johnson and I thought I would watch.

I stopped adlfter 15 seconds as the presenters said "we are representing the greatest game of all, the NRL". Look I get it is an NRL piece but the sport is not called NRL it is called Rugby League. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/10/17/dwayne-the-rock-johnson-on-nrl-and-black-adam/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I just saw a piece on NRL.com featuring Dwayne Johnson and I thought I would watch.

I stopped adlfter 15 seconds as the presenters said "we are representing the greatest game of all, the NRL". Look I get it is an NRL piece but the sport is not called NRL it is called Rugby League. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/10/17/dwayne-the-rock-johnson-on-nrl-and-black-adam/

Again the NRL trying to americanise the sport of rugby league

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 17/10/2022 at 19:23, Dunbar said:

As the NRL gets more and more serious about their push into the U.S. to capitalise on the legalisation of sports betting in that country and the potential goldmine that might be they don`t want there to be any confusion about which `rugby` code people are going to place a bet on.

Rugby League can seize the initiative here and capitalise on a veritable goldmine that will benefit the  code across the world or we can stay stuck in the past griping about what name we call ourselves while the future slips away.

If `The Rock` Johnson wants to refer to this exciting new game as NRL, no confusion with `rugby`, then great grab it, and when his 100m twitter or facebook followers ( or whatever) google NRL they aren`t going to get stories or pictures of you know what. They might even see a clip of Josh Addo-Carr scoring a length of the field try.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

As the NRL gets more and more serious about their push into the U.S. to capitalise on the legalisation of sports betting in that country and the potential goldmine that might be they don`t want there to be any confusion about which `rugby` code people are going to place a bet on.

Rugby League can seize the initiative here and capitalise on a veritable goldmine that will benefit the  code across the world or we can stay stuck in the past griping about what name we call ourselves while the future slips away.

If `The Rock` Johnson wants to refer to this exciting new game as NRL, no confusion with `rugby`, then great grab it, and when his 100m twitter or facebook followers ( or whatever) google NRL they aren`t going to get stories or pictures of you know what. They might even see a clip of Josh Addo-Carr scoring a length of the field try.

I am actually OK with this and on a previous thread I have suggested something similar (I suggested the global name WRL for the sport).

But here's an idea, why don't we do something as a sport, involving all, and for the benefit of all instead of a fragmented approach cursed with in fighting and self interest which has been the history of our sport.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am actually OK with this and on a previous thread I have suggested something similar (I suggested the global name WRL for the sport).

There`s something about the letter `N` though isn`t there, far more punchy, more forceful than W, which is not only too much of a mouthful but is going to be more associated with women`s sport now any way.

But yes agree, great if all heads were put together on this one, but as we know with most endeavours, the leaders in most fields will largely determine the terminology.

• Like 1

On 17/10/2022 at 10:23, Dunbar said:

So..... the guy is American.

Would you rather they call it "rugby"??

How far do you think that would get when being reported on by American media? 

"The Rock tried his hand at Rugby today...:

"Dwayne Johnson can be seen here rugby tackling an opponent's as part of the promotion for the Rugby League World Cup in England. The tournament is a chance for rugby players from all over the world to play against each other. Tournament favourites Australia... blah blah"

NRL football. Otherwise American media will subsume it into "rugby". A sport played by ivy league colleges, college gridiron dropouts, and people who frequent Irish theme pubs. 

• Like 1