I have a 2 or 3 thousand records in various formats, but the mass acquisitions are way down now.

I've filled in most of the big gaps from the past that felt important to me, and am just buying the occasional album these days when it feels worth it.

• Like 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

I used to collect pestles and mortars and things to do with Tea and coffee but then I moved house had to throw out many things and there are just a few things left, Now I collect artist materials.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:

10 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

To all the collectors out there, what weird and wonderful things do you collect? 

Photographs of successful Dewsbury sides. I have three dating back to 1972.

• Haha 3
Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Used screws, washers,. bits of wire, all taken from broken things .

• Like 1

“Every single person is a fool, insane, a failure, or a bad person to at least ten people.”
― Mokokoma Mokhonoana

Dust and spiders webs.

I collect and preserve them every year during periods of finding anything to do apart from housework.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Never been a collector of anything specific but I remember collecting the Esso FA Cup Centenary Coins in 1972 which was a great achievement seeing we didn’t even have a car!

The centre piece of the collection - which consisted of a coin for every existing professional team that had won the FA Cup - was a larger bronze coin for the Leeds v Arsenal 1972 Centenary Final.

4 hours ago, Derwent said:

I sort of ended up collecting guitars.I don't consider myself a collector but I have about 25 of them.

Do you have this one?

stephen-stills-buffalo-spring-miniature-

I recently bought a real one of these for $3700

Carnival Glass ... green and purple; not the orange because I think it's horrible.  I've got boxes of it stored away that I bought because I didn't have a particular model and have no room left to display it.

VINTAGE FENTON CARNIVAL Glass Grapes & Vines Dish 6.75" in Blue/Amber  iridescent £15.00 - PicClick UK

Hand-painted crockery, paricularly Masons

Masons Regency | 53 lines in stock to buy now | Chinasearch

Dunoon Mugs

Fine Bone Dunoon Mugs Collection | The Chinashop®

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

To steal a joke from the Canadian comedian Stewart Francis: "My dad used to collect bottles. That sounds so much better  than saying he was an alcoholic".

• Haha 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Sports programmes and art gallery books.

The latter is about ticking off a bucket list of great works of western art to visit.

I can’t deny that I see it like Panini football sticker albums of old:

Got:

Tate Modern, National Gallery (London), Ashmolean, Hermitage (St Petersburg, Ru), Uffizi, Galleria Academica, Galleria Borghese, Louvre, Musee de l’Orangie, Musee d’Orsay, Pompidou centre, Belvedere Palace, Museum of Fine Arts Budapest, The Dali (St Petersburg, Fl), The Art Institute of Chicago, Seattle Art Museum, Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum, Picasso Museum (Barcelona), Museum of Antiquities in Cairo

Need:

New York Metropolitan and MoMa, Prado, Thyssen-Bornemisra (Madrid), Kunsthistoriche Museum (Vienna), National Gallery (Oslo), Royal Museums of Fine Art (Brussels)…many more!

Its been a lifetime thing and I can’t see me ever ‘completing’ this, so pretty satisfying.

Don’t ask me which ones represent the ‘foil’ stickers either!  Haha

• Like 2

On 20/08/2022 at 14:29, Angelic Upstart said:

I had a pretty impressive collection of punk vinyl, and sold it all a few years back. Regretted it as soon as I sold it all and still do to this day! My guts churn every time I think about it.

Rezillos playing the Brudenell in Leeds next week.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 19/08/2022 at 20:38, Gerrumonside ref said:

I can’t deny that I see it like Panini football sticker albums of old:

How great were they ? Absolutely brilliant and addictive . The whole school was into it . I’ve still got a fair few of mine including Euro 88 , Mexico 86 and Italia 90 . You could send away for the final 50 , as you got nearer completion you’d buy more and more packs for like 2 you didn’t have 

Edited by DavidM
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

How great were they ? Absolutely brilliant and addictive . The whole school was into it . I’ve still got a fair few of mine including Euro 88 , Mexico 86 and Italia 90 . You could send away for the final 50 , as you got nearer completion you’d buy more and more packs for like 2 you didn’t have 

They were brilliant times.

Taught a few generations in the schoolyard the simple economics of supply and demand.

Got, got, got, NEED!

• Like 1

Vintage American comics. I only own a handful nowadays - the 3 biggest Marvel comics from the 1960s (1st appearance of Spider-Man, 1st Fantastic Four, 1st Hulk).

I also own a single page from Action Comics # 1 (1st Superman appearance 1938).....for a full/complete copy you’re looking at £400k minimum and besides there’s only about 75 copies known to exist so I’m happy with just a page. All kept safely in a bank vault!

4369ACFB-5448-4B7F-8AD8-EF81AF14E90B.jpeg.81d4011e44ab4305bcaaa22d8da34f73.jpeg

Edited by AB Knight
  • Like 1

On 20/08/2022 at 14:29, Angelic Upstart said:

I had a pretty impressive collection of punk vinyl, and sold it all a few years back. Regretted it as soon as I sold it all and still do to this day! My guts churn every time I think about it.

Blimey that must’ve been hard Angelic. I have loads of vinyl lp’s/12”/7”s and although i don’t listen to them anymore i could never get rid of them. I want all my Half Man Half Biscuit cd’s and Albums buried with me, i wouldn’t want them to be thrown into a skip when I’m gone. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...