1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 7 to 12 points
    • Samoa by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/10/22 at 14:00

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

43,119 is the 4th highest England attendance ever and the only one in the top 10 that is not against Oz or NZ. In fact the next highest attendance for a game not against those two nations is 30,000 which we got against Wales in 1995, this being England's 12th highest attendance. 

Reported by RLWC as the highest grossing gate for an individual group game in this country at a World Cup too.

4 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

How does that work? When I say ‘Tonga’ the n and g are together as a sound already. Obviously difficult for you to explain in a post, I appreciate that.

As Gubrats said, say it quickly.  Not Ton....................ga.  Don't dwell on the N bit.

They're playing in a couple of days.  See how the Tongans say it and compare that with how the UK commentators cope.

• Thanks 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Where are the game stats?

It took me a while to find them as there is no link from the result.  You have to browse through to match reports. 

https://www.rlwc2021.com/report/5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

How does that work? When I say ‘Tonga’ the n and g are together as a sound already. Obviously difficult for you to explain in a post, I appreciate that.

Generally, I hear in the UK Tonga pronounced as Tong-ga.

It should just be Tong-a, right?

Still, I'll take lessons of an Aussie commentator when they can pronounce Salford.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

People called Romans they go the house

9 minutes ago, Griff said:

As Gubrats said, say it quickly.  Not Ton....................ga.  Don't dwell on the N bit.

They're playing in a couple of days.  See how the Tongans say it and compare that with how the UK commentators cope.

Ha Ha! Jiffy can't even pronounce Salford right. What chance has he got?

• Like 2

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1 hour ago, SydneyRoosters said:

He actually said that he will field he’s full strength team next week, Quite funny if Oledzki and Ackers were being rested.

Just read his comments, this is quoting Mr Wane :-

However, all those who didn’t play against Samoa will play against France next week at Bolton as Wane confirmed after yesterday’s game against Samoa name dropping the likes of Oledzki, Salford’s Marc Sneyd and even John Bateman who will return from suspension: “We’ve no injuries, and the players that didn’t play today will play against France and that will be a strong team.

“It was a tough week for me leaving those players out because a few of those were very tough to leave out. We have people like Mikolaj Oledzki, John Bateman, Marc Sneyd and Andy Ackers coming back.

“It will be a strong team and all of them will play.”

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just read his comments, this is quoting Mr Wane :-

However, all those who didn’t play against Samoa will play against France next week at Bolton as Wane confirmed after yesterday’s game against Samoa name dropping the likes of Oledzki, Salford’s Marc Sneyd and even John Bateman who will return from suspension: “We’ve no injuries, and the players that didn’t play today will play against France and that will be a strong team.

“It was a tough week for me leaving those players out because a few of those were very tough to leave out. We have people like Mikolaj Oledzki, John Bateman, Marc Sneyd and Andy Ackers coming back.

“It will be a strong team and all of them will play.”

Oh okay, I had read that it “will be the strongest team” not sure where but I definitely did. Someone must have got it wrong I guess.

• Like 1

Just on the discussion , picking a PI combined , it'd be the Kumul's supplying the 6/7/9 , the Bati's the full back and wingers/centres possibly , with the Tongans/ Samoans filling in the rest 

Now that would be a team to compete with the big 3 

I'll start a thread for those better informed than me 🤔😉

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Right. So the way I’d interpret that is that there is no emphasis on the ‘ah’… ‘Tonger’. 

Personally, I don’t get offended if a pronunciation of my name or country by a non-native isn’t totally correct, but I can see why the BBC might want to set an example. I have a ‘foreign’ surname that is always mis-pronounced. I empathise with people because it does look strange on paper if you’re used to Anglo-Saxon surnames like Smith. If that is even Anglo-Saxon? 😀

• Thanks 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

1 hour ago, tonyXIII said:

Ha Ha! Jiffy can't even pronounce Salford right. What chance has he got?

To be fair, he's had to develop a poker face for when English commentators say "Llanelli".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I've heard 

Leeighe more than once for Leigh 

Is that as people whizz past on the train wondering where to get off to watch the rugby? 😎

• Haha 2

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Just on the discussion , picking a PI combined , it'd be the Kumul's supplying the 6/7/9 , the Bati's the full back and wingers/centres possibly , with the Tongans/ Samoans filling in the rest 

No…just no.

Also are Papuan’s classed as Polynesian? 

Thought they were Melanesian.

37 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Or Keighley.

English is a very difficult language to pronounce.  Is it eight different ways you can pronounce -ough ?  Could be more.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Viewing figures peaked at 1.69 million.

And for all those blaming the stadium for the shambles at the opening ceremony, Dutton has apologised and taken full responsibility. Whoever was at fault is irrelevant, the fact they didn’t have a contingency plan in place was amateurish

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Contingency plan for the stadium pa which I presume is done by same people for football? Like move to another stadium I mean come on. 

More importantly, 1.6 million is great and should only grow as we move through.

We can only surmise what the issue was but most electrical faults can be overcome with back up systems

53 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Is PNG classed as a PI? 🤷🏼

• Like 1