1. 1. Who will win?

• New Zealand by 13 points or more
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • Jamaica by 1 to 6 points
    • Jamaica by 7 to 12 points
    • Jamaica by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/10/22 at 19:00

2 hours ago, Rawschach said:

Manu having a quiet game but that pass to the winger on the left (from the scrum where they had an extra man) was superb. The weight and precision of it was top drawer skill

The in and out try by DWZ was great as well. He makes too many mistakes against the good teams to be in the 1st team for the Kiwis but he is a good player with the ball in his hands

Entertaining match this despite being one sided. Being played in a good spirit as well - as seen when Fisher Harris smashed the scrum half late and then made sure he was ok

I think Zelezniak has to be in the side from now on. He was unplayable tonight. I think his pace and finishing will be needed if NZ are going to win. 

When he came off the Kiwis didn't look as explosive.

Though they will need Jordan Rapana for the goalkicking.

22 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think Zelezniak has to be in the side from now on. He was unplayable tonight. I think his pace and finishing will be needed if NZ are going to win. 

When he came off the Kiwis didn't look as explosive.

Though they will need Jordan Rapana for the goalkicking.

Watene-Zelezniak was a joy to watch and I think he now has an army of young fans in Hull.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Memorable scenes!

What a joy to see Jamaica go over and erupt in celebration.

They competed with vigour and invention. I loved Vossy and his co-commentators' enthusiasm for the short kicks.

Seeing BJB score in his 300th and being given a guard of honour afterwards was fantastic. 

Jamaica were a credit to themselves and the sport today. They were never cowed, despite the NZ speedsters exposing their edges.

A hugely enjoyable and memorable 80 minutes. Congrats to both teams for contributing.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Glad I went in the end, was struggling for cash but decided it'd be worth it. Had a great time. A lot of love for Jamaica there, plenty of flags and shirts sold. Think they're a popular nation!

What a moment when they went over. So pleased for them. They were so inventive and didn't just try and play bog standard basics. I mean, how many kick offs did they run?! They've full on exposed one of the top teams in the world on short kick offs! Plenty of possession.

Would love to see more of them.

• Like 10
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

Just got in from the game and haven't read the comments on here yet but that was such an enjoyable occasion. The pre-match presentation was very well done and I don't how the atmosphere came across on TV but it was brilliant in the stadium. Plenty of kids there from the local junior clubs and they were having a great time. Loved it when they all rushed over to high five Watene-Zelezniak when he went off injured. The reaction to Jamaica's try was fantastic. It was something I'll never forget and it was so good to see the reception they got when they came over to the fans in the East Stand after the game.

What happened with the anthems?

Or was that just on TV?

7 hours ago, Niels said:

Thanks for explaining, I understand.

I wasn't sure on what criterea the teams were seeded. 

A lot of things can change in four years. I personally think they should seed the WC based on rankings at the time of the draw rather than how teams performed at the previous WC. 

• Like 1

Loved the match last night, especially the Jamaican try. They were inventive and committed, not taking a backward step despite being outmatched. Thought the Jamaica-based lads put in a great stint - that’s a real cause for celebration and positivity. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Ullman said:

Watene-Zelezniak was a joy to watch and I think he now has an army of young fans in Hull.

This is what it is all about. And that haircut is bang on trend in Hull.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I missed a bit of this game but the bit I saw was absolutely great. When a side is outclassed, how they respond can make all the difference and Jamaica certainly put a shift in. An experience they'll never forget I'm sure and the homegrown players will be telling their tales to their grandchildren in years to come! 

Hope they develop the game even more! 

• Like 3

Hopefully it's causing a stir in the Jamaican communities in the UK and back in Jamaica. How do they build on this?

Getting more players of Jamaican heritage playing over here and increasing playing numbers in Jamaica has to be the aim.

Hopefully Jamaica get some games against Wales, Ireland, Scotland etc each year as well as playing in the Americas championship 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have the Jamaicans just rewritten the game plan book for the underdog?

RL, more than most sports, is a game in which possession means points. One way or another you are near enough guaranteed possession ninety seconds after giving it up. And when you score you get the ball back immediately. It's easy to get a roll on.

Jamaica disrupted that with their inventive kicking game. Their successes must have reached double figures which is a massive 120 tackle turnaround. What does that equate to on the clock and in tries saved and in the cliche 'petrol in the tank'.

Interesting!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Number 16 said:

Have the Jamaicans just rewritten the game plan book for the underdog?

RL, more than most sports, is a game in which possession means points. One way or another you are near enough guaranteed possession ninety seconds after giving it up. And when you score you get the ball back immediately. It's easy to get a roll on.

Jamaica disrupted that with their inventive kicking game. Their successes must have reached double figures which is a massive 120 tackle turnaround. What does that equate to on the clock and in tries saved and in the cliche 'petrol in the tank'.

Interesting!

I think Lee Briers and Wales did something very similar against the Aussies a few years ago. That’s what Jamaica were trying to emulate. It’s just when Briers kicked early in the tackle count against the Aussies they were much better than what the Jamaican half could produce. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I think Lee Briers and Wales did something very similar against the Aussies a few years ago. That’s what Jamaica were trying to emulate. It’s just when Briers kicked early in the tackle count against the Aussies they were much better than what the Jamaican half could produce. 

If that was the 2000 WC game I never watched it. I recall that I was on a hot date that night so rugby didn't have a chance.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

It's a good parallel and what Robbie Hunter-Paul talked about at half time. If you aren't going to win the power or the pace battle, create as many  surprise and 50/50 situations as possible (like the short kick offs) as that is comparatively a better percentage chance of success than 'going through the process'.

Edited by Just Browny

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

32 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

If that was the 2000 WC game I never watched it. I recall that I was on a hot date that night so rugby didn't have a chance.

I hope he was a nice fella but you missed a real treat. 

• Confused 1

I can only imagine what a great experience this was for the Jamaican players:

"It was quite a funny moment there where you saw all of them running around saying 'I got this player, I got that player'," Kiwis coach Michael Maguire said of the Jamaican players after the game.  

"It just shows the respect. There was a fair bit of history being made out there."

That history included Jamaica scoring their first ever World Cup try, fittingly touched down by national team stalwart Ben Jones-Bishop, who was also playing his 300th professional game. 

Led by first-time skipper James Fisher-Harris, the New Zealand players joined Jones-Bishop's teammates in forming a guard of honour for the 34-year-old as he left the field. 

"We thought it would be a good gesture to do that for their fullback. It's pretty special, they have created history being in this World Cup," Fisher-Harris said. 

"It was quite humbling to be honest. They have so much respect for us and were saying how much they idolise us playing in the NRL."

James Fisher-Harris
"They were just so happy to get our jerseys."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/10/23/kiwis-reflect-on-humbling-jamaica-experience/