10 Sitaleki Akauola
11 Dominique Peyroux
12 Maxime Stefani
13 Anthony Marion

14 Lambert Belmas
15 Calum Gahan
16 Joe Bretherton
17 Hugo Pezet

That's not a bad 17 by any means for the Championship, about a dozen of them featured regularly in SL this season, but they have also lost a lot of quality players and as things stand they are going to dependent on their reserves/youngsters for depth. They will have the advantage of being full time though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As we stand awaiting news of Ferguson

O Brien - FB

Charnley Briscoe - wings

Hardacre Leutele - Centres

Mellor Lam - halves

Amone Nakubuwai - props

Ipape - hooker

O Donnel Hughes - second row

Asiata - loose

Holmes Smith Wardle Mulhern - bench

If we get confirmation Ferguson isn’t coming back then I expect a middle to come in

35 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Salford’s likely line up (interested to see if Salford Slim agrees)

Brierley

Sio

Cross

Lafai

Burgess

Croft

Sneyd

Ormondroyd

Ackers

Vuniyayawa

Watkins

Wright

Gerrard

Atkin

Dupree

Sarginson

Stone

Don’t think we’d have sarg on the bench tbh maybe partington instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

Wellens has said Bennison has first crack at the wing spot and I think he’ll keep his word. I can’t see Hopoate as a starter in 2023 given a mixture of what has been said about Bennison, the signing of Ritson, the form of Hurrell and a fully fit Percival again. 

Can see Makinson and Ritson being the main wingers as the season goes on, Bennison is OK but is a fullback and not a recognised winger, Ritson was brought in for the speed to replace Grace but  no one will play every game with the depth they now have on the edges. 

• Like 1

I still think fax may have one or two additions incoming but as it currently stands I will hazard a guess 

1 Woodburn hall

2 Lachlan walmsey

3 Jake maizen

4 Ben tibbs 

5 James Saltonstall

6 Louis jouffret

7 Joe keyes

8 Will Maher

9 Brandon Moore

10 Dan murray

11 Matty gee

12 Ryan king 

13 Adam tangata

14 Kyle wood

15 Ben kavanagh

16 Eribe doro

17 Will calcott

18 Jacob fairbank

19 Tom inman

20 Cole oakley

21 Zac mcomb

22 Joe arundal

23 Kevin larroyer

24 Nick rawsthorne

25 Ben Forster

I believe inman and wood will be interchangeable along with tangata and fairbank , arundal tibbs McComb salty maizen will rotate depending on the opponent, still think we need a third half and another 2nd rower .

8 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Look like another year of pain for Warrington fans in 2023

You may have to eat humble pie, Warrington have had only 1 player in the WC (Williams) so they have all had a full preseason probably the only yeam too. They have a strong pack with depth, 2 decent halves and in Dufty a good full back who excelled in a poor side

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, dkw said:

Fingers crossed for Dodd on have an Injury free run, be interesting to see where Welsby ends up this season. A half back pairing of Dodd and Welsby could be great to watch.

Here's hoping!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Welsby at full back until Lomax retires, with him then moving to #6 after that.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Jughead said:

Wellens has said Bennison has first crack at the wing spot and I think he’ll keep his word. I can’t see Hopoate as a starter in 2023 given a mixture of what has been said about Bennison, the signing of Ritson, the form of Hurrell and a fully fit Percival again. 

I haven't seen that. Did see Wellens say he would be comfortable with Bennison as a starting winger but not that he had first crack?

Hopoate is a difficult one. His season was so interrupted last year that it became a risk to play him. Though when he did play and on the rare occasions that he did get through a match, I though he was very influential. He limped out of Tonga's quarter final and I haven't heard an update since, which does concern me slightly.

18 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

You may have to eat humble pie, Warrington have had only 1 player in the WC (Williams) so they have all had a full preseason probably the only yeam too. They have a strong pack with depth, 2 decent halves and in Dufty a good full back who excelled in a poor side

Humble pie for posting an opinion? Behave!

18 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

And only having one player at the WC tells us what ? 

• Like 1

On 18/12/2022 at 13:00, Chris22 said:

I'd expect Saints to start the season, assuming all are fit with:

Welsby, Makinson, Hurrell, Percival, Hopoate, Lomax, Dodd, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Mata'utai, Batchelor, Knowles
Subs: Sironen, Paasi, Lussick, Wingfield

Lacking pace in the centre - even more so if Hopoate starts on the wing. 

Hope Ritson comes through as we need some more pace from 3 - 5. 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

And only having one player at the WC tells us what ? 

Maybe but I think we'll have the best start to the season. But lets see if the pleasure other clubs fans have in seeing us struggle will carry on, I see us as top 6 no problem. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ragingbull said:

Humble pie for posting an opinion? Behave!

Well if we struggle fans from other clubs will be posting comments like yours non stop, but if we are back to the previous levels for the last 13 years expect comments back. 

On 18/12/2022 at 13:16, dkw said:

Fingers crossed for Dodd on have an Injury free run, be interesting to see where Welsby ends up this season. A half back pairing of Dodd and Welsby could be great to watch.

Welsby will be starting at 1 and the first choice haves will be Lomax & Dodd.  Hopoate was very much Woolf's "little pet" and I seriously doubt Wellens will be giving him the same preferential treatment. Hopoate will be just a back-up player.

The vast majority of players pretty much 'pick themselves' the only real choices I think will be whether its Bennison or Ritson that starts on the wing and whether its Mata'utia or Sironen that starts in the 2nd row along side Batchelor.

Lussick & Paasi will get 2 of the bench spots and it could be any 2 from about 8 for the last 2 bench spots.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

typical wakey - sign a couple of 3rd rate NRL players  (ones bound to be injured at some point) stick them in the same old 2nd rate squad - close your eyes and when you open them again at the end of the season hope your not bottom- yet another squad with no ambition designed to just do enough to survive - again and again and again 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Probably nothing like but here goes...

Hoy, McIntosh, Carlos, Sutcliffe, Swift, Trueman, Clifford, Taylor, Houghton, Satae, Sao, Savelio, Lane

Bench from - Dwyer, Lovodua, Brown, Fash, Cator, Griffin, Shaul, Evans, Scott, Mitch, McNamara

Plenty of youngsters with a few SL games under their belt waiting to step in once the injuries kick in!

On 18/12/2022 at 15:54, johnh1 said:

Salford’s likely line up (interested to see if Salford Slim agrees)

Brierley

Sio

Cross

Lafai

Burgess

Croft

Sneyd

Ormondroyd

Ackers

Vuniyayawa

Watkins

Wright

Gerrard

Atkin

Dupree

Sarginson

Stone

Think Sarge is likely to start the season at FB as isn't Brierley out for a few months? Also think Partington, Sidlow & Longstaff will be in contention for the 17 along with James Greenwood, who was pretty decent for us before his long injury lay-off. Plenty of competition for places in the squad like last season and cover in pretty much every position.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Think Sarge is likely to start the season at FB as isn't Brierley out for a few months? Also think Partington, Sidlow & Longstaff will be in contention for the 17 along with James Greenwood, who was pretty decent for us before his long injury lay-off. Plenty of competition for places in the squad like last season and cover in pretty much every position.

Yes, Brierley is out for about 2 months after the start of the season, I think. As is Watkins. I was basing this on when, (if) they are all fit. We do have a few forwards who can come come in without weakening the team. I would add Helliwell, Addy and Lannon to your list.

7 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Yes, Brierley is out for about 2 months after the start of the season, I think. As is Watkins. I was basing this on when, (if) they are all fit. We do have a few forwards who can come come in without weakening the team. I would add Helliwell, Addy and Lannon to your list.

Unless we get plenty of injuries I doubt we'll see much of Lannon or Addy tbh. Hellewell did ok on loan last year but he's played at Champ level all his career so would be a hell of a story for him to crack SL at the age of 30.

• Like 1

Wigan at present seem to be lining up much as last season save the two new centres.

1 Field,   2 French, 3 Thornley, 4 Wardle, 5 Marshall, 6 Cust, 7 Smith, 8 Singleton, 9 Powell, 10 Byrne, 11 Bateman, 12 Farrell, 13 Smithies.       14 Mago, 15 Ellis, 16 Havard, 17 Cooper, 19 Pearce Paul, 20 O'Neil, 21 King, 22 Shorrocks,  23 Miski,  24 Hill, 25 Astley, 26 Eckersley. 27 Isa.

That's how I reckon 1-13 will be numbered and named but not how they will line up. Toby King will start at right centre but as he's a loan player then Thornley will probably have the 3 shirt. Bateman is supposed to have signed for Wests but nothing announced. Besides rumours around he may stay at Wigan so he's a big unknown at the moment. 

On 18/12/2022 at 16:11, sweaty craiq said:

As we stand awaiting news of Ferguson

O Brien - FB

Charnley Briscoe - wings

Hardacre Leutele - Centres

Mellor Lam - halves

Amone Nakubuwai - props

Ipape - hooker

O Donnel Hughes - second row

Asiata - loose

Holmes Smith Wardle Mulhern - bench

If we get confirmation Ferguson isn’t coming back then I expect a middle to come in

Ferguson definitely isn't coming back. Swap Wardle and O'Donnell along with ipape and Smith and that won't be far off I think. I would hope O'Donnell will play prop again this year, him and Ipape coming on together was one of our biggest weapons last year and likely will be this year.

37 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Ferguson definitely isn't coming back. Swap Wardle and O'Donnell along with ipape and Smith and that won't be far off I think. I would hope O'Donnell will play prop again this year, him and Ipape coming on together was one of our biggest weapons last year and likely will be this year.

I see it slightly differently Lam always plays Smith for the KO with Ipape interchange. I hope we play Hardaker in his best position which is fullback. Hopefully Ferguson returns.

Hardaker

Ferguson

Chamberlain

Leutele

Charnley

Lam

Mellor

Amone

Smith

AN Other 

Wardle

Holmes

Asiata

Ipape

Nakabuwei

Mulhearn

ODonnell 

Squad-

Davis

obrien

Hughes

Briscoe

Brand

Wilde

Nesbitt

2 hours ago, binosh said:

I see it slightly differently Lam always plays Smith for the KO with Ipape interchange. I hope we play Hardaker in his best position which is fullback. Hopefully Ferguson returns.

Hardaker

Ferguson

Chamberlain

Leutele

Charnley

Lam

Mellor

Amone

Smith

AN Other 

Wardle

Holmes

Asiata

Ipape

Nakabuwei

Mulhearn

ODonnell 

Squad-

Davis

obrien

Hughes

Briscoe

Brand

Wilde

Nesbitt

Ferguson isn't returning and it's very much the clubs/coaches decision from what I understand.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, boris74 said:

Probably nothing like but here goes...

Hoy, McIntosh, Carlos, Sutcliffe, Swift, Trueman, Clifford, Taylor, Houghton, Satae, Sao, Savelio, Lane

Bench from - Dwyer, Lovodua, Brown, Fash, Cator, Griffin, Shaul, Evans, Scott, Mitch, McNamara

Plenty of youngsters with a few SL games under their belt waiting to step in once the injuries kick in!

A few positions are up for grabs. My personal preference for a 17 if everyone is fit would be:

1. Hoy

2. Vulikijapani

3. Tuimavave

4. Sutcliffe

5. Swift

6. Trueman

7. Clifford

8. Fash

9. Lovodua

10. Satae

11. Savelio

12. Sao

13. Cator

14. Dwyer

15. Brown

16. Evans

17. Lane

I'd be surprised if thats the actual team though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Wigan at present seem to be lining up much as last season save the two new centres.

1 Field,   2 French, 3 Thornley, 4 Wardle, 5 Marshall, 6 Cust, 7 Smith, 8 Singleton, 9 Powell, 10 Byrne, 11 Bateman, 12 Farrell, 13 Smithies.       14 Mago, 15 Ellis, 16 Havard, 17 Cooper, 19 Pearce Paul, 20 O'Neil, 21 King, 22 Shorrocks,  23 Miski,  24 Hill, 25 Astley, 26 Eckersley. 27 Isa.

That's how I reckon 1-13 will be numbered and named but not how they will line up. Toby King will start at right centre but as he's a loan player then Thornley will probably have the 3 shirt. Bateman is supposed to have signed for Wests but nothing announced. Besides rumours around he may stay at Wigan so he's a big unknown at the moment. 

It's really difficult to predict our first 17 at the minute with the Bateman situation. Moves clearly were in the pipeline with them saying they won't announce the squad numbers until the squad is 'finalised' but as you say, rumours now seem to be picking up pace that Bateman may be staying. It needs sorting one way or the other asap though.

If the squad we have now is what goes in to that first game at HKR, you'd imagine we'd line up something like-

Field

French King Wardle Marshall

Cust Smith

Byrne Powell Singleton

Bateman Farrell Smithies

subs

Havard Ellis Cooper Pearce-Paul

Having a couple of natural centres should really make a difference for us in 2023. The attack was good in 2022 but it did revolve pretty much solely around 2 players and the lack of ability from guys like Bibby and Isa to hurt the opposition limited us in games where French and Field were shut down.