Sat 25th-Sun 26th Feb: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

Would have gone for Toulouse by 10 yesterday, so I'm 1 down already

SUNDAY 26 FEBRUARY
Batley Bulldogs v Keighley Cougars                   Batley by 4
Featherstone Rovers v Newcastle Thunder       Fev by 40
London Broncos v Sheffield Eagles                    Eagles by 10
Whitehaven v Swinton Lions                                Haven by 6
York Knights v Barrow Raiders                             York by 20

No respite for Barrow this week. If Haven don't beat Swinton, I think they're pretty much gone even at this early stage. 

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Thats a huge win for Haven. How tight do you want the league. Big win for Batley too at home. A dozen teams all in the mix here. Big game tomorrow also. 

Yes it was a vital win for Batley. It would have been a sickener to lose. Makes a real difference with a last gasp win.

I watched Bradford at York on tv so they must have improved very much to beat Toulouse. A very good win. 

Had to go on Sheffields twitter to get the result, as it seems like the London social media guy didn't come into the office today.

London 20 - 21 Sheffield 

London will be disappointed to go into the last 10 minutes 6 points up and lose by 1.

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Surprised at Barra , not sure what’s going on there , I thought they’d do well after last year 

Having watched them at York on OuRLeague this afternoon, I didn't think there was a lot between the sides. A few extra handling errors from Barrow seemed to make the difference.

A few of the teams who've gone up to the Championship in recent years have had a storming first season and then a poorer second one - York, Whitehaven, now looking like Barrow will.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Batley clawed their way to a win with the very last play. They were improved on the Swinton performance, but still some work to do. Green shoots? 

Batley looked pretty good last year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Surprised at Barra , not sure what’s going on there , I thought they’d do well after last year 

Don't think they're replaced the players they've lost well at all. Seem a bit of an age-ing squad so wonder if the pace of the game is getting the better of them? Lose next week against Newcastle ( don't think they will ) and they're truly up against it.

• Like 1