Attendance thread

Just shy of 1,400 at Rochdale Hornets v Oldham yesterday. Shows the potential - and the importance of local derbies that mean something. It was a great contest that ebbed and flowed and was won with the last pass of the game. Top stuff all round.

Big raps to Rochdale Hornets community team, who had a four-team under 9's round robin competition before the game and at half time - and a nice celebration of the 10th anniversary of Hornets wining their first Trophy in 91 years. All-up, an excellent advert for League 1 Rugby.

• Like 15

56 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ealing made sense and we should have stayed there 

Wimbledon is just too difficult to get to .....I said this repeatedly 2 years ago 

And about 75% of this forum were cheering the move to Wimbledon on. About 25% weren't. Those 25% were probably a ratio of 2:3 former:current Broncos fans. That ratio is perhaps now 4:1. Desperately sad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

And about 75% of this forum were cheering the move to Wimbledon on. About 25% weren't. Those 25% were probably a ratio of 2:3 former:current Broncos fans. That ratio is perhaps now 4:1. Desperately sad.

The traffic is almost always appalling getting there so it almost always takes a lot longer than it should and it's a ****** of a drive so I have made maybe 1 in 3 home games now 

When I can just drive straight onto the M1 and have an easy drive all the way to see a SL game and park close to the stadium for free then it's becoming an easier option....especially when it's only effectively an extra hour of driving and hotels are so cheap near SL clubs 

I am even thinking Rosslyn Park feels.more appropriate these days .....it felt better size wise for the 1895 game than Plough Lane does even though it's a dump

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

will ULEZ  be impacting, that is is it within the charging scheme.

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Is anywhere in London seen as a good location? Isn't it just that it's handy for those who live near it, but a pain for those who don't?

I think that is tad unfair, some places are clearly a bit more accessible to those outside the immediate vicinity than others.

18 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ealing made sense and we should have stayed there 

Wimbledon is just too difficult to get to .....I said this repeatedly 2 years ago 

Aren't there two train lines (Southwest and Thameslink) and two underground lines (Northern and District) that go to Wimbledon?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think that is tad unfair, some places are clearly a bit more accessible to those outside the immediate vicinity than others.

It wasn't meant as a criticism - more a a fact of life. Wimbledon may be described as inaccessible, but to who? They have huge populations in areas around the ground. I know that's not how these things currently work, but maybe the point is to really set up deep roots in communities local to the ground. 

Anywhere in London can be easy or difficult to get to. It sort of depends where your fanbase is coming from.

48 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Is anywhere in London seen as a good location? Isn't it just that it's handy for those who live near it, but a pain for those who don't?

Its pretty much obvious that anywhere in London has a huge catchment in the immediate vicinity. If London Broncos cant engage and attract people locally then they are either doing something badly wrong or are playing in completely the wrong location. Or both.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Aren't there two train lines (Southwest and Thameslink) and two underground lines (Northern and District) that go to Wimbledon?

20 minute walk from station .....and I've given up on trains full stop anyway ....always striking /delayed/too.hot/too expensive 

It's about an hour and 45 minutes from Luton station to Cherry red stadium.....2 hours when include the journey to Luton station from mine 

It would cost maybe £80.for the family train tickets 

I can get to and park outside SL grounds in just an hour more (in a lot.more comfort) for less.money 

What are London Broncos actually doing locally to make Wimbledon work? Are they going into schools? Are they trying to get schools to play RL? Are they getting involved in the amateur game?

Or is it just a nice sized stadium they have moved to but are doing absolutely nothing to make it work? On the face of it it seems the latter.

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It wasn't meant as a criticism - more a a fact of life. Wimbledon may be described as inaccessible, but to who? They have huge populations in areas around the ground. I know that's not how these things currently work, but maybe the point is to really set up deep roots in communities local to the ground. 

Anywhere in London can be easy or difficult to get to. It sort of depends where your fanbase is coming from.

Driving into and out of London is never going to be a pleasant experience. The test I used to do - and can probably be found on here - is "how quickly can someone get to X if they start they journey at the Chandos pub on St Martin's Lane". Wimbledon fared better than some, worse than others. Its accessibility isn't really an issue more that it's the wrong stadium for the Broncos.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, redjonn said:

will ULEZ  be impacting, that is is it within the charging scheme.

ULEZ only affects around 10% of vehicles, and declining, so it's not likely to have a very significant impact.

57 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

1300 at Olham tonight for their return to Boundry Park.  

Great effort for a mid week League 1   fixture. 

Hope its the start of a new era for the club.

A good win will have also helped.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

23 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

20 minute walk from station .....and I've given up on trains full stop anyway ....always striking /delayed/too.hot/too expensive 

It's about an hour and 45 minutes from Luton station to Cherry red stadium.....2 hours when include the journey to Luton station from mine 

It would cost maybe £80.for the family train tickets 

I can get to and park outside SL grounds in just an hour more (in a lot.more comfort) for less.money 

Which SL ground could you drive to in an hour from near Luton?