If you could meet one person from RL history who would it be?

I would love to have met Brian Bevan.  Just to see how someone so physically unremarkable could do remarkable things.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Former French Sports Ministers Jean Borotra or Joseph Pascot - either or both.

And I'd like to be in possession of a clawhammer and a sharp blade if it ever happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am going to say my Grandad. He played one game for Hull Kr, before he died, when my dad was 2. I think that would be the ultimate.

The other person I would have said, would be Roger Millward, but I got to chat to him after the Challenge Cup final in 2015.

Edited by Arizonared
  • Like 3

Dicky Lockwood. I'd like to have seen him play in both his RU and NU days.

A chat with many of the main characters involved in rugby around the time of the schism (Rev. Frank Marshall, G. Rowland Hill, etc) would be interesting.

Minä rakastan rugbyliigaa!

11 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I would love to have met Brian Bevan.  Just to see how someone so physically unremarkable could do remarkable things.

I suspect he was more physically remarkable than was obvious ...big lung capacity and fast twitch fibres etc 

Though he probably smoked a pack of woodbines a day like everyone did at that time!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I suspect he was more physically remarkable than was obvious ...big lung capacity and fast twitch fibres etc 

Though he probably smoked a pack of woodbines a day like everyone did at that time!!

Yes, I think you are right.

Poor wording on my part, I should have said someone who looked so physically unremarkable.  He was obviously a great athlete as demonstrated by his achievements. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Joseph Platt. Father of rugby league and an Oldhamer. It would make for a very interesting conversation. And Ray French.

Defo Joseph Platt. Son of Oldham Father of Rugby league. I would ask him why he booked the George in Huddersfield? If only he'd have booked the Greaves in Oldham then we'd have the first home of rugby league and the birthplace together. Would also love to hear the tales of breakaway, who first mooted it, who took some persuasion and so on. 

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 1

One of the founders of the game, to tell them to try to expand a bit and convert rugby clubs from places like Sheffield, Grimsby, Middlesborough, Barnsley, Rotherham, Liverpool, Preston, Blackburn and Burnley to the Northern Union. 

• Like 1

I would also like to meet Lee Jackson and tell him not to take a dummy from Ricky Stuart in the final minutes of the second Ashes test in 1990.

• Thanks 1