TV Deal to conclude end of June

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Getting on SS Mix shouldn't be an aspiration of RL really. 

Not an aspiration for more people to see RL?  I really appreciate your loyalty and looking at the bright side of this, but Sky obviously doesn't see RL as Premium,  which it is jealously keeping off SSM , only giving people a bit here and there to make them salivate for more and thus subscribe.

Let's call the viewers Sky get for SL "X", then if SL is on two or three different channels at the same time, the viewing  figures are still " X" ,but split 2 or 3 ways. It appears to me Sky have realised the viewers for RL/SL are loyal, stable in number,  and stagnant( their words) apparently. For three years now Sky have opened the Premier League football on Friday night, with all the hype you'd expect,  it's a showpiece occasion,  and put SL on at the same time. They clearly feel there's no leaking of viewers going from EPL to SL or vice versa.  They don't effect each other. SL viewing figures appear to be in a separate bubble,  Sky could well be happy with the numbers,  happy enough to continue their relationship with the game, but that's about all. It's often stated Sky will lose out if they drop RL, subscribers leaving, but on the other hand they won't have to fork out for broadcast rights, its probably a balancing act, they put in what they expect  to get back, last time 25m a year, next time probably less.

23 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Not an aspiration for more people to see RL?  I really appreciate your loyalty and looking at the bright side of this, but Sky obviously doesn't see RL as Premium,  which it is jealously keeping off SSM , only giving people a bit here and there to make them salivate for more and thus subscribe.

Let's call the viewers Sky get for SL "X", then if SL is on two or three different channels at the same time, the viewing  figures are still " X" ,but split 2 or 3 ways. It appears to me Sky have realised the viewers for RL/SL are loyal, stable in number,  and stagnant( their words) apparently. For three years now Sky have opened the Premier League football on Friday night, with all the hype you'd expect,  it's a showpiece occasion,  and put SL on at the same time. They clearly feel there's no leaking of viewers going from EPL to SL or vice versa.  They don't effect each other. SL viewing figures appear to be in a separate bubble,  Sky could well be happy with the numbers,  happy enough to continue their relationship with the game, but that's about all. It's often stated Sky will lose out if they drop RL, subscribers leaving, but on the other hand they won't have to fork out for broadcast rights, its probably a balancing act, they put in what they expect  to get back, last time 25m a year, next time probably less.

What numbers to SS Mix get?

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Once again you are missing the point. They aren't putting their premium stuff on Mix. It isn't a premium channel. Look at the schedule for this week. It is full of filler (including SL and Origin highlights shows). 

• Like 1

I must admit I usually completely forget about Sky Sports Mix and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. Sky Sports Mix is not a premium channel, just a means of Sky wider offering content as both a teaser and to address complaints about them monopolising content behind a pay wall.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, philipw said:

Oh thank god for that. Even if it's half hearted interest it should hopefully be enough to stop the Sky offer dropping too low.

• Like 8

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

2 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Oh thank god for that. Even if it's half hearted interest it should hopefully be enough to stop the Sky offer dropping too low.

Hopefully there is more truth to this than the rumours we often get at this time, which never going to fruition. The sport definitely needs more broadcasters bidding for the sport rather than it just always being a case of Sky paying whatever it feels like.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

Hopefully there is more truth to this than the rumours we often get at this time, which never going to fruition. The sport definitely needs more broadcasters bidding for the sport rather than it just always being a case of Sky paying whatever it feels like.

I don't know why, but this doesn't seem genuine to me, I'd be happy to be wrong. 

I'd be very happy if we could get something like Sky showing a couple of games per week and DAZN showing the rest, maybe even Championship stuff to create a decent amount of content. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I don't know why, but this doesn't seem genuine to me, I'd be happy to be wrong. 

I'd be very happy if we could get something like Sky showing a couple of games per week and DAZN showing the rest, maybe even Championship stuff to create a decent amount of content. 

DAZN is on Sky, ch 429 I think, for a tenner a month, so a mixed Sky / DAZN package might be an option. Sky get the plum ties, DAZN the rest, plus maybe 1 game per month on CH4 for wider promotion.

I’d be happy if DAZN got the rights with one game per week on FTA with Channel 4. DAZN have boxing as well and for £10/month probably better value than sky. The drop in viewing figures vs. Sky is less of an issue if its on FTA

Edited by Odsal Outlaw
  • Like 2

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

DAZN and Sky shared the IPL rights this year. I think it meant some games were on DAZN but, the odd thing was, all games were on Sky.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

DAZN showing matches exclusively would be a sponsors nightmare.

There is currently only one show in town and that's SKY even the BBC with FTA is not attractive due to its older demographic.

I think as Odsal Outlaw states, there would need to be some fta stuff too to offset this. 

Interestingly though, sponsorship doesn't appear to be too much of an issue in France where TV and media coverage isn't great. 

Our sponsorship portfolio isn't amazing here, so maybe it isn't the huge sticking point we build it up to be. 

• Like 3

Any indication of a ballpark figure from DAZN yet?

I already have this for the boxing and they have recently hiked their prices and offered only their cheapest deals to those willing to commit to longer contracts.

As well as the example of the IPL they also hold the rights to women’s UEFA Champions League and showed the latter stages exclusively, but the earlier part FTA on their DAZN YouTube channel.

They are obviously looking to expand their portfolio but until they ‘show me the money’ it’s hard to weigh up the bid although I get that any solid interest helps create an auction of rights.

Another company getting the rights could be the making or the breaking of the funding model, if we go elsewhere and Sky do/do not notice a big difference in their subscribers, then the next round could see a big increase/drop in tv money.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think as Odsal Outlaw states, there would need to be some fta stuff too to offset this. 

Interestingly though, sponsorship doesn't appear to be too much of an issue in France where TV and media coverage isn't great. 

Our sponsorship portfolio isn't amazing here, so maybe it isn't the huge sticking point we build it up to be. 

Yes however club sponsorship is very strong 

On 08/06/2023 at 08:42, Toby Chopra said:

Did he say anything about what will replace the reduced match rounds? We can't cut SL matches until there's a solid plan in place to replace them with something else that generates revenue.

Heard rumours of a group stage in the challenge cup and this sort of confirms it. 

Would make sense to have qualifiers from lower divisions then 4 groups of 4 which would add 6 games and could have group winners to semis but most probably top 2 for quarters. 

Presume these games would be sold separately to BBC and another broadcaster.

• Like 1