Fri 28th Jul: SL: St Helens v Leeds Rhinos KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/07/23 at 19:30

2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I suspect (if he’s still here), Welsby will take over 6 when Lomax retires. He is an exceptionally gifted player. Yep, makes mistakes but absolutely has talent and class if droves, which makes up for those mistakes. 2-3yrs and he’ll be an exceptional player. 

I thought Knowles was MoM; led the pack outstandingly with Walmsley, Paasi, LMS, Matu’auti, Sironen, Batchelor and Wingfield all missing. 

Could be the kick in to gear Knowles needs, the injuries to the other forwards. Not sure where he lost his way but he needs to run hard, tackle hard and play at an intensity not many can match. He just seems to have got a bit lost this past 12 months.

I hate to say it but I can’t help but think back to a Kyle Amor comment a few weeks ago about Saints needing a narrative to work with in terms of going for 5 in a row. He said it could be people writing them off due to poor form but now Walmsley and Paasi are done, I actually think that could strengthen your resolve. That side tonight wouldn’t win a GF but it could with Batchelor, Sironen, Matautia and LMS back in there. I think you’re probably more dangerous now, with some adversity, then you would’ve been going in to the play offs with a full strength team and in great form. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Cracking player MacDonald. You guys deserve Walters coming to our place, for McDonnell ending up with you! A Wigan forward if ever there was one is McDonnell. Really happy to see things working out for him. 

Did Wigan let him go? 

Leeds have some really good young forwards - Holroyd, McDonnell, Walters, O’Connor… missing a bit of experience to guide them. Smith is too young and lacks that older support. Oldezki is way off it at the moment too. 

30 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Was waiting for the question but nothing. After the week we’ve had, that’s poor by Carney and Sky. Honestly, those tackles last weekend can’t become common place, both for the defender and the attackers safety but after Wellens went in full meltdown mode, he had to be asked about them. I doubt he’d have seen them yet though but he’ll surely comment in the week, once he’s reviewed the tape. 

Don't hold yer breath.

• Haha 1

Bell's tackle attempt not good. Not the same force as Asiata's missile-like attempts though. I suppose the RFL have given the green light, so players will dive in like this. Sky should have asked about it post-game, I agree. 

Welsby's stardust won that game. I thought Knowles led up-front. His best game in ages!

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 7723 said:

He’s awful. Once he gets the ball the play stops.

For me he typifies leeds, his decision making poor and is the same for a number of Leeds players.... been a problem all season... a major reason they have a less then 50% win record.

As Jonathan Davies would say they lack composure... it manifests itself too often and seems to be something they can't learn from... they must of lots of video analysis of it...

We seemed to have a lot more spark in attack tonight. Dodd took the line on more, we had more runners and looked generally quicker compared to being a bit pedestrian in recent weeks. Looked like a tactical change to reflect that we wouldn't be able be bludgeon our way through.

Quite a few errors from us gave Leeds decent field position and put ourselves under pressure. Thought Welsby was the difference and without his attacking skill, we probably lose that game. In the circumstances, a very pleasing win.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, redjonn said:

For me he typifies leeds, his decision making poor and is the same for a number of Leeds players.... been a problem all season... a major reason they have a less then 50% win record.

As Jonathan Davies would say they lack composure... it manifests itself too often and seems to be something they can't learn from... they must of lots of video analysis of it...

He’s rocks or diamonds all in the same game Cameron Smith. There is loads of talent there but it’s inconsistent. I saw a couple of Leeds fan pages saying he should be in the dream team during the week. He’s had a good season overall but he’s been nowhere near the level of Asiata. He’s not always been at loose forward, but I’d have James Bell ahead of him as well and I’d probably have Garcia and Smithies in front of him also. In terms of natural ability, he’s outstanding but he needs to learn to be cooler in big moments. 

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

Jeez, you must have high standards.

So you think wellens and Smith would make England a better team,both of them wouldn't get a job in Oz, Saints were there for the taking tonight and Smith's team was absolutely clueless. When you realise that Wellens is no better, he's living off his reputation for being a saints legend and fare play to him for that,I had a few bob on him for lance todd and Harry Sunderland trophies over the years. Just don't think he will be saints for much longer. Like I said at the start of the conversation 2 poorly coached teams.Lets see were they end up 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hopie said:

Rohan said in a recent press conference that he wanted to see a cleaner ruck/PTB in Super League. I am certain he won't have changed his mind after tonight, what an awful mess.

Aye, second question, in particular the body language says a lot.

Edited by Hopie

23 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Bell tackle attempt not good. Not the same force of Asiata's missile-lie attempts though. I suppose the RFL haver given the green light, so players will dive in like this. Sky should have asked about it post-game, I agree. 

Welsby's stardust won that game. I thought Knowles led up-front. His best game in ages!

How can you tell it wasn't the same sort of force as the Asiata tackle, have you got some kind device that tells you how fast the player was going in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Neil Monaghan said:

So you think wellens and Smith would make England a better team,both of them wouldn't get a job in Oz, Saints were there for the taking tonight and Smith's team was absolutely clueless. When you realise that Wellens is no better, he's living off his reputation for being a saints legend and fare play to him for that,I had a few bob on him for lance todd and Harry Sunderland trophies over the years. Just don't think he will be saints for much longer. Like I said at the start of the conversation 2 poorly coached teams.Lets see were they end up 

Smith agrees in that he thought the game was competitive, lots of effort but not of a high standard..

20 minutes ago, Neil Monaghan said:

How can you tell it wasn't the same sort of force as the Asiata tackle, have you got some kind device that tells you how fast the player was going in.

By looking at it comparatively, and making use of my senses!

• Haha 2

Genuinely, Welsby is a good player, no doubt about it and should have been MoM. Without him, Saints would have been trounced by a side barely better than Wigan. But Wellens? He deserves to be the coach of St Helens for all eternity. That'll teach him!  He's no Alex Ferguson despite all his mimicking, Saints are no Manchester United. The pitch, though, looks pure Trafford bomb site. If only Saints owned their own stadium....oh! Wait a min...😀

Edited by JohnM
  • Thanks 1

Came on here after catching up with the game to see how people enjoyed an exciting game of RL.

Turns out people just want to spend all their time whining about saints winning rather than commending a great effort.

Suppose that’s where four on the bounce leaves you.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

What’s happened to Lewis Dodd he looks garbage 

His confidence looks shot after his knee reconstruction. Pre that injury he looked good because he wasn’t afraid to take the line on, now he looks afraid to run and use his trademark step in case his knee goes again.

if this goes on into next season can see him losing his place pretty quickly, particularly as Saints have 2 outstanding halves coming through the academy in Roberts and Whitby. Roberts in particular looks all class, still qualifies for the academy but is already 1st choice for the reserves and has played DR for Swinton in the championship 

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

9 hours ago, WN83 said:

Cracking player MacDonald. You guys deserve Walters coming to our place, for McDonnell ending up with you! A Wigan forward if ever there was one is McDonnell. Really happy to see things working out for him. 

Never understood why Wigan didn't want him last year, shipping him out to Leigh for virtually the whole season, I was quite miffed when we didn't sign him.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

His confidence looks shot after his knee reconstruction. Pre that injury he looked good because he wasn’t afraid to take the line on, now he looks afraid to run and use his trademark step in case his knee goes again.

if this goes on into next season can see him losing his place pretty quickly, particularly as Saints have 2 outstanding halves coming through the academy in Roberts and Whitby. Roberts in particular looks all class, still qualifies for the academy but is already 1st choice for the reserves and has played DR for Swinton in the championship 

He did his Achilles 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hullste said:

SImilar tackle technique without the force Asiata applied. Not great but it is the RFL who need to give direction. The force Asiata applied was significant though

So Bell didn't effect a legal tackle well enough?

You will know very well through your expierence on the field of play, if you go into a tackle half hearted you get hurt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1