Sat 12th Aug: Men's Challenge Cup Final: Hull KR v Leigh Leopards KO 15:00 (BBC)

Who will win?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull KR by 13 points or more
    • Hull KR by 7 to 12 points
    • Hull KR by 1 to 6 points
    • Leigh Leopards by 1 to 6 points
    • Leigh Leopards by 7 to 12 points
    • Leigh Leopards by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/23 at 14:30

1 minute ago, StandOffHalf said:

Criticising Beaumont is rather mean-spirited.

I thought him out on the field with his team was a pure image of unbridled joy and passion.

Yes and no. I do feel concerned when club owners seem to be more foreground than background. Marwan Koukash springs to mind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Roy Haggerty said:

Yes and no. I do feel concerned when club owners seem to be more foreground than background. Marwan Koukash springs to mind. 

I'm not a huge fan of the re-brand, but I felt his enthusiasm and energy added to the whole story. Him in raptures brought a huge smile to my face. He's like a big kid with his hands wrist-deep in a sweet jar. Goofy but infectiously joyful.

I am glad he got to experience that today and be central to celebrations, after doing so much for the club.

• Like 9

I’m particularly pleased for Joe Mellor. If I remember rightly he was going to be the next big star produced by Wigan after Sam Tomkins but a very bad injury held him back. He went on loan to Harlequins and then Widnes before joining them full time. He’s at the back end of his career now and a Challenge Cup winner’s medal is well deserved.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Pity nobody sees investing into a pathetic case such is Bradford Bulls.

That's a rather classless and arrogant comment. Bradford have never had the good fortune (like Leigh) to have a rich benefactor. Nor will they ever get one, so you should be delighted about that. 

I'm glad you are enjoying your day in the sun but don't forget that even relatively recently, Leigh were going nowhere - and it can easily change again. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

I’m particularly pleased for Joe Mellor. If I remember rightly he was going to be the next big star produced by Wigan after Sam Tomkins but a very bad injury held him back. He went on loan to Harlequins and then Widnes before joining them full time. He’s at the back end of his career now and a Challenge Cup winner’s medal is well deserved.

Joe Mellor defence goes under the radar. Without that contribution, we would not have got over the line. Brilliant player 👏

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations to Leigh and their fans. They've had a great season and throughly deserve some silverware. I may not always agree with some of them on here but the passion they have for their club is evident and many have supported them through thick and thin. Hope you all have a great night.

It's also great to see yet another new name on the cup (in recent history).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I really enjoyed the game and the BBC's presentation of it.

The video with Beaumont before the game I thought was excellent, and showed so much of what rugby league is about - community, and giving what you can to your community.

As an 'outsider' to the heartlands of the game, I  have always admired the fact that local boys made good don't abandon the places that made them, as the commentators made clear when they talked about the various club owners and how much they do for the game.

On the field, it was a very watchable contest with a few understandable errors given the stakes. Neither side deserved to lose and I would happily watch them go toe to toe as major challengers going forward.

• Like 11

BBC Have your say almost universally positive, and even really glowing reviews from RU fans. Can't help but feel getting the game out from behind the paywall a bit more -and for well matched games like this - would make a massive difference to profile.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

That's a rather classless and arrogant comment. Bradford have never had the good fortune (like Leigh) to have a rich benefactor. Nor will they ever get one, so you should be delighted about that. 

I'm glad you are enjoying your day in the sun but don't forget that even relatively recently, Leigh were going nowhere - and it can easily change again. 

Cant see that as the club has a plan wonderful stuff field of dreams:)

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

Criticising Beaumont is rather mean-spirited.

I thought him out on the field with his team was a pure image of unbridled joy and passion.

Absolutely, where would Leigh be without him, he deserves his time in the sun. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

I agree with your opening comment, it was in reply to a caustic poster.

1 hour ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

His defence was amazing today 

• Like 2

Couldn't get to see the game live but managed to avoid the score and just watched it on iPlayer. A classic, well done to Leigh and commiserations to Hull KR. Ultimately Hull KR just made a few too many basic errors like failing to play the ball or find touch with a penalty, but it was a final they brought a huge amount to.

Observations:

- Chris Chester seemed to enjoy the opposition knocking on more than he did any of the Leigh tries;

- John Kear hilariously noticed Mellor had come on a full 10 minutes after he actually had;

- Shaun Kenny Dowall deserved a winners' medal;

- Adrian Lam is somehow likeable now, unrecognisable from the Wigan version;

- Liam Moore got the decision right but should be asked to attend an optician after it took him 15 looks to finally spot Hardaker's touch on the ball;

- One or two soft penalties but generally Kendall had a good game and wasn't a factor in the result.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 5

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

This was my fourth Challenge Cup final and all have been settled by four points or less so I definitely seem to pick exciting ones!

Hull KR were fortunate to get as close as they did as they never seemed as secure on the ball, and the failure to make touch from the penalty in extra time summed this up. Leigh looked the more capable outfit and it would have been very harsh on them if they hadn't won.

Great fun match - rippling with tension throughout the second half  particularly prior to the Briscoe try. 

Wish I had taken out some shares in leopard print manufacturers after the semi finals.

• Like 3

On 12/08/2023 at 15:13, doc said:

That's got to be a great excuse for future games.😁

No excuse pal, we like 1000s of other were stuck at Toddington J12 for 2 hours. Got in stadium at 3.15. 

Strong suggestions were that the accident was a fatality involving a spectator going to the match. 

Edited by Andrew Vause
Spelling
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Sadly the behaviour of Degsy and his inability to act with the class and decorum of every other SL sides chairman/owner  whos team has won a final, willl forever taint this teams acomplishments. 

Are you having malt vinegar or non-brewed condiment on that?

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Can’t get to sleep at the hotel after being at Wembley today.  The flight from Canada was worth every cent!

Full credit to Hull KR for how they played today. Seemed to make metres in most sets and looked fitter than we did (a week off helped, no doubt). The fans were very noisy and contributed to a great atmosphere.

I know many Leigh fans felt a lot of sympathy for them, especially after hearing a Hull KR fan lost his life in an accident on the way down, with kids having to be cut out of the car.

i know all Leigh fans would wish to send heartfelt condolences to the family and to the club. 

Edited by Mapleyther
Typo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

After all the errors in the first half Rovers did well to only be two points behind at half time though in the second half I thought a change in plan from just lofting the ball high on the 1st tackle should have been done until that try was scored at the death. There were two big errors in golden point though with the penalty failing to find touch and if Schneider had his time again he wouldn't have gone for that DG from so far out. I thought Lewis was solid enough at FB, that dropped ball apart, and Hall and SKD were immense.