Sat 12th Aug: Men's Challenge Cup Final: Hull KR v Leigh Leopards KO 15:00 (BBC)

Who will win?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull KR by 13 points or more
    • Hull KR by 7 to 12 points
    • Hull KR by 1 to 6 points
    • Leigh Leopards by 1 to 6 points
    • Leigh Leopards by 7 to 12 points
    • Leigh Leopards by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/23 at 14:30

10 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Sadly the behaviour of Degsy and his inability to act with the class and decorum of every other SL sides chairman/owner  whos team has won a final, willl forever taint this teams acomplishments. 

He's a breath of fresh air compared to most Chairmen or owners. Passionate, committed and controversial. From what I can see, most Leythers didn't like the rebrand originally. But they have taken to it like a duck to water now. Good on Degsey and good on the Leigh club and all Leythers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I can see Leigh starting to drop off now, personally. It's really hard to come down from a high like that, especially for an inexperienced group of players. Individually, there is a lot of experience there that night steer them through but I think with the shallow squad depth, they're going to struggle.

Hope they do well though, unless Hull manage to squeeze in!

It wouldn’t surprise me, it’s a small squad so an easing off period feels inevitable. To be honest, as a Leigh fan, I don’t care. A GF win would be absolutely ridiculous. I’ve seen my team win a major trophy. Never thought I’d see that.

The team can put their feet up for the rest of the season for all I care. They’ve earned it. 

Edited by phiggins
Typo
  • Like 3

Attended my 1st Wembley final since 1995...(went to 1978 & 84 to 95).... and i'd forgotten what a wonderful family occasion it is.

I'm a big LFC fan and went the FA Cup Final last season and it's night and day the difference in how it felt...respecting anthems, lack of hatred, no drug taking, respect for opponents, being able to sit down in your seat.

I'm more of a lapsed Leigh fan who used to go home and away in the early 80s, but then drifted away due to work and family commitments. But as someone who actually cried when we lost a winnable home quarter final in 1982, and inconsolable losing a semi final in 87, I had to be there yesterday. The 1982 version of me would never have forgiven the 2023 me if I hadn't gone.

I've actually seen us win the Championship (1982) and Challenge Cup now, the 2 major prizes which isn't bad going for a little club.

Thoroughly enjoyed the day despite Avanti West Coasts Trains best efforts.

Had pre booked 9.10am from Runcorn to Euston... woke by my e mail at 5am telling me the train had been cancelled. Only alternative from Runcorn that had spaces was 7.10am...so basically had to get out in a rush. Coming back was booked on the 8.10pm return. Got to Euston at 7pm... lo and behold this had been cancelled also. Managed to get on an alternative. What a joke the railways are in this country. 

Thought it was a terrific game... edge of my seat...and I was literally shaking in the last 5 minutes, my son was worried for my health.

As a live sporting event it was as good as I've ever been to, including Liverpool in Istanbul.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Andy JG said:

Attended my 1st Wembley final since 1995...(went to 1978 & 84 to 95).... and i'd forgotten what a wonderful family occasion it is.

I'm a big LFC fan and went the FA Cup Final last season and it's night and day the difference in how it felt...respecting anthems, lack of hatred, no drug taking, respect for opponents, being able to sit down in your seat.

I'm more of a lapsed Leigh fan who used to go home and away in the early 80s, but then drifted away due to work and family commitments. But as someone who actually cried when we lost a winnable home quarter final in 1982, and inconsolable losing a semi final in 87, I had to be there yesterday. The 1982 version of me would never have forgiven the 2023 me if I hadn't gone.

I've actually seen us win the Championship (1982) and Challenge Cup now, the 2 major prizes which isn't bad going for a little club.

Had pre booked 9.10am from Runcorn to Euston... woke by my e mail at 5am telling me the train had been cancelled. Only alternative from Runcorn that had spaces was 7.10am...so basically had to get out in a rush. Coming back was booked on the 8.10pm return. Got to Euston at 7pm... lo and behold this had been cancelled also. Managed to get on an alternative. What a joke the railways are in this country. 

Thought it was a terrific game... edge of my seat...and I was literally shaking in the last 5 minutes, my son was worried for my health.

As a live sporting event it was as good as I've ever been to, including Liverpool in Istanbul.

Great post.

First final I have been to at new Wembley and did feel a little dirty sat with the Hull KR fans but cheering Leigh on but to see a promoted team go straight up and perform like they have and then get to a CC Final how can you not cheer that. The ground is amazing and the first thing that struck me was the deafening noise when something happened during the game. I can't ever remember hearing sound like that been at a rugby stadium before. 

A game fitting for the final as well, Leigh the best attacking team but Hull KR never say die attitude made for a brilliant spectacal and I never watch games back that don't involve my team but I will be watching this one back today.

Has anyone got the Degsy interview so I can watch it? I think he has not covered himself in glory at times but he has gotten better and someone willing to pump money in like he has done then he deserves that success. Ive loved watching what he has done at Leigh in the last couple of years and hopefully they kick on and cause a storm in the playoffs as this sport badly needed another team to come along and show what is possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andy JG said:

As a Rugby League fan, that's a fantastic read.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I'm beginning to think the poster saying we should scrap the Challenge Cup may have got it wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

May be an image of text that says "LAST ONE OUT OF EAST HULL TURN THE LIGHTS OFF BACK ON AT 17:16THOUGH"

That's a very thoughtful gesture by Connexin.

Allows them to sneak back in under cover of darkness.

• Haha 3

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

This was my first ever Challenge Cup Final after many years following rugby league and it turned out tobe an enjoyable match and a really memorable occasion.  I would thoroughly recommend that anyone who has never gone to a Challenge Cup final should buy a ticket and go along as there was a really great atmosphere in the stadium.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, johnh1 said:

He's a breath of fresh air compared to most Chairmen or owners. Passionate, committed and controversial. From what I can see, most Leythers didn't like the rebrand originally. But they have taken to it like a duck to water now. Good on Degsey and good on the Leigh club and all Leythers.

My Mrs (no interest in RL or sport in general) described DB's suit and the whole leopard thing as 'vulgar' when she saw it on the TV. 

As far as I'm concerned,your team can be dressed as Coco the clown and it doesn't matter if they win you the Challenge Cup at Wembley in such dramatic fashion. 

I'm sure that many of the 40-50 Leigh fans who turned up at Barrow in 2009 and watched their team get beat 74-6 were there yesterday.

That win was for them and everyone who suffered the lean years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

My Mrs (no interest in RL or sport in general) described DB's suit and the whole leopard thing as 'vulgar' when she saw it on the TV. 

As far as I'm concerned,your team can be dressed as Coco the clown and it doesn't matter if they win you the Challenge Cup at Wembley in such dramatic fashion. 

I'm sure that many of the 40-50 Leigh fans who turned up at Barrow in 2009 and watched their team get beat 74-6 were there yesterday.

That win was for them and everyone who suffered the lean years. 

I can’t tell you how many times that game was mentioned yesterday 😀

• Like 1

Managed to see the Beaumont interview and not quite sure why he was getting so much stick. He realised straight away what he had said and you could tell he was gutted and to me that is someone who is genuinley thinking about how he is presenting himself and rugby league. Thats not a bad thing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

This was my first ever Challenge Cup Final after many years following rugby league and it turned out tobe an enjoyable match and a really memorable occasion.  I would thoroughly recommend that anyone who has never gone to a Challenge Cup final should buy a ticket and go along as there was a really great atmosphere in the stadium.

Great you enjoyed it.

20 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I can’t tell you how many times that game was mentioned yesterday 😀

It was only Gateshead being a basket case that saved Leigh from relegation that year. You wonder how things might have turned out in that scenario. Proper 'Sliding Doors' stuff. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Managed to see the Beaumont interview and not quite sure why he was getting so much stick. He realised straight away what he had said and you could tell he was gutted and to me that is someone who is genuinley thinking about how he is presenting himself and rugby league. Thats not a bad thing.

Which interview was this?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Ok, which one of you Leigh fans has a black Audi e-tron SUV  spotted on the M6 this afternoon)

@GUBRATS is a big Audi fan.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, WN83 said:

In terms of HKR, I’m not sure I’ve seen a team make as many basic handling errors in a final before. I guess nerves got to them but they have so much grit and did unbelievably well to stick in there.

Hull the year you lot beat them. Tomkins was still playing. Wet day and the ball was like a bar of wet soap for Hull that day. (They were terrible in every other department as well.)

I've been to three finals now and I reckon two of them (yesterday and 2018) are the top two sporting events I've had the privilege of attending. The other one was just really, really good.

I'll be buying a ticket for next year as soon as they go on sale.

2 hours ago, Dave W said:

It was only Gateshead being a basket case that saved Leigh from relegation that year. You wonder how things might have turned out in that scenario. Proper 'Sliding Doors' stuff. 

We lost twice to Gateshead that year, too. The home game I went to France v England at 9pm in Paris. Got back to the hotel at 3am. To the airport at 8am to fly back to Liverpool, drove straight to the LSV and we lost 42-10 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

If so, he's probably still stuck in the traffic jam.😱

My mate set off at 11 this morning and has only just got back. Just in time for the end of the cup parade. We got the train at half 12 and were sat at home for 3!