Am i alone in not understanding the hype around James Ford?

Did well at York in League 1, then decent in their first season in the championship - with a better budget than most....

Got pumped for 100 by Leigh.

Rocked up at Wakefield as attack coach, Had the worst start to any SL season. Failing to attack.

Leaves for a jobs for the boys gig at Fev(Wakey improve drastically)

Sees off top of the league Sean Long to now be in the hot seat at Fev.

That agent Craig Harrison among others have repeatedly bigged him up, but i'm yet to see what the big deal is??

He's got the league handed to him on a plate at Fev. If he mucks this up, well........

Would love to hear the thoughts of York/Wakey/Fev fans about Ford.

• Like 3

Hard to say, he was the rumoured to be the attacking coach but then we didn't have the players, he left a while ago and it's only since the arrival of Fifita and Gale where we have looked more threatening. Having said that we've still been ###### against Huddersfield and Hull so who knows.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Did well at York in League 1, then decent in their first season in the championship - with a better budget than most....

Rocked up at Wakefield as attack coach, Had the worst start to any SL season. Failing to attack.

That agent Craig Harrison among others have repeatedly bigged him up, but i'm yet to see what the big deal is??

He's got the league handed to him on a plate at Fev. If he mucks this up, well........

He seemed to do a decent job at York a few years back and was touted as the next best British coach.

Doesn't seem to have kicked on though, kind of like the YoungJack Walker or Liam Sutcliffe of coaching.

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

York haven’t improved since he left. 

I beg to differ, Yorks style of play when they have had a decent team out, which sadly this season has been rare due to an horrendous run of injuries , has been entertaining and good to watch, unlike last season when it was five plays and kick which was predictable and boring, and that is from someone who was a massive Fordy fan.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Tim Streets tache said:

If only , coaching and managing a side is not all black and white 

To be honest I’m not sure about Ford and I guess only time will tell, but under Long there was clearly something not right, our defensive structure was poor we had a narrow defence and if the ball went out wide it looked like the plan for the outside backs to shoot out of the line to cut off the play which had limited success. It will be interesting to see what Ford does will he continue or go to more of a sliding defence we will have to wait and see. Other area will be half back need to start and get some consistency there.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

York haven’t improved since he left. 

York are playing much better rugby this season under Hendo, pity we've had upto 12 players injured a lot of this season, most of Yorks squad this year was brought in this by Fordy, let's see how Hendo does next year with his squad, my monies on a vast improvement

• Like 6

Fordy did wonders at York although the rugby played was a bit dour he did get results and over performed in his first season in the championship.

He has a much better squad at his disposal at Fev now and I’m sure he will get the best out of them if it’s entertaining rugby is another matter but from Featherstone point of view getting to super league is the objective and his teams did have a tendency to win the close games so could bode well in the playoffs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

If only , coaching and managing a side is not all black and white 

it is if you're at Hull FC, isn't it?

2 hours ago, spanishknight said:

York are playing much better rugby this season under Hendo, pity we've had upto 12 players injured a lot of this season, most of Yorks squad this year was brought in this by Fordy, let's see how Hendo does next year with his squad, my monies on a vast improvement

This is a myth, Clint brought them in. Hence Fordy moving on after 12 years... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

What hype? I haven't seen any around him, just the praise he (rightly) got in his York early years.   

He has the job and is a couple of days in so lynch/praise him after a month.  

Well put.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Ha ha ha, another thread which involves little village club Fev. As for Ford, I am not a massive fan, but let’s judge him on what he does for Fev. If he somehow takes us to the ‘promised land’, for me he’s coach of the year.

Of the decade if he gets us up lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Allegedly (yes, that word again) the 2nd lowest budget in the league that year. Only Rochdale (who ended the season bottom) had a lower budget. Allegedly again.

For me, his main plus side at York was his loyalty. There are quite a few stories of what he had to put up with during some of the darker years at York. But apart from when Ben Cockayne was running things in the halves, the rugby was overall pretty tedious. 

However it’s hard to say whether he was directly (or indirectly) responsible for Wakefield’s awful start to the season. Let’s see how he goes at Fev and then judge him. I’ve thought since the start of the season Toulouse would go back up (though I would like to see Fev have a go in the top flight).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

If i'm wrong then fair enough. I would actually find it pretty hilarious if Fev tried to do a season in Super League with a hybrid squad. 

I'd find it glorious if they didn't even go hybrid and just stayed full on part time. The steam coming out of some SL fans ears would make it more than worth it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

If i'm wrong then fair enough. I would actually find it pretty hilarious if Fev tried to do a season in Super League with a hybrid squad. 

So your claim that hybrid is "not allowed in SL, and rightly so" was made with zero evidence? Cheers for clearing that up

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1