Beaumont has another tantrum, threatens to stop investing in Leigh

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I don't mind DB spitting his dummy out. I enjoy the game having villains and talking points. It's all fun. 

But it's nonsense to suggest people should keep quiet. 

This is my thinking. In an audience, I switch off at marketing-rehearsed comments and, off-topic, dislike when people routinely whip their phones out to record things at public events. Much better to have honest and relevant thoughts (with phones off, please).

But I think Derek Beaumont has made a mistake by not reining his comments in somewhat. To me, his excess here slightly takes the gloss off Leigh giving RL a big boost by unexpectedly reaching the play-offs, dominating the dream team and a cup win.

Could this chairman of a thriving sports club, and successful businessman, do with a lieutenant? Not a spin doctor, but someone who can tell Beaumont things he may not want to hear - in the hope of avoiding episodes like this and, maybe, returning more spotlight to the team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I don't mind DB spitting his dummy out. I enjoy the game having villains and talking points. It's all fun. 

But it's nonsense to suggest people should keep quiet. 

I think this is a good take.

My default reaction in these discussions is to relate to how I would expect leadership to behave and act professionally. 

But I should probably let it at out as entertainment. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Superb Chops said:

Could this chairman of a thriving sports club, and successful businessman, do with a lieutenant? Not a spin doctor, but someone who can tell Beaumont things he may not want to hear - in the hope of avoiding episodes like this and, maybe, returning more spotlight to the team.

Why do you think he'd listen?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jesus there some chronically offended people on these pages, he had an emotional rant to a room full of Leigh fans & sponsors at his home ground in the aftermath of highly charged game, he didn’t  pull up on Piers Morgan and do a full hatchet job on how inept the RFL are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

As a (former?) board member of a professional sports organisation, I would have thought you would find positives in this attention to detail when striving for success rather than laughing at it.

You and Tommy sharing a computer these days ? 😂

4 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Jesus Christ lets all get over this Derek was being emotional end of, life goes on nothing wrong with a bit of passion and anyway we all know that there has never been a referee who had any parents?

13 minutes ago, binosh said:

Jesus there some chronically offended people on these pages, he had an emotional rant to a room full of Leigh fans & sponsors at his home ground in the aftermath of highly charged game, he didn’t  pull up on Piers Morgan and do a full hatchet job on how inept the RFL are.

Seems to be a lot of people calling on the Baby Jesus to support Derek here.

• Haha 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 hours ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

Re Mr. Beaumont’s comments about the presentation party; I don’t apologise for applying logic to the situation but had Wigan lost surely the presentation would have just taken place at the next home game of the winners. I seem to remember the shield being brought out at a Warrington game a few seasons ago and then being taken back in because they lost and therefore weren’t guaranteed top spot.

I think the plan was to get the trophy to whichever team won the league leaders on the night. Trophy started in Leigh it wouldn’t take long to get to either Salford or Saints if it was needed. 

17 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Why do you think he'd listen?

Unsure, truthfully. At a guess, probably.

I say unsure as I don’t know Derek Beaumont properly, merely through media.

But I would guess, on balance, he probably would listen due to his successes. These suggest some nous.

Certainly enough to have regard for a reliable lieutenant, as opposed to being so egotistical Beaumont would refuse to listen to others at any point.

45 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think this is a good take.

My default reaction in these discussions is to relate to how I would expect leadership to behave and act professionally. 

But I should probably let it at out as entertainment. 

I think it's fair to judge him like that - we should all judge things based on our own preferences, styles, principles etc. In fact, for it to be entertaining, there has to be a conflict of views. It'd be rather boring if there were 20 posters saying 'well said' on his comments. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well this has been an entertaining thread. I feel like I've turned up right as the party's over.

For what it's worth I'll give my opinion. Derek Beaumont's comments don't exactly reflect well on him and come across as a very immature. Arguments like 'other club owners would have done the same' are ridiculous whataboutery. Some have made similar comments in the past and have been called out on them (the example of McManus has already been used). Some will probably make similar comments in the future and will be called out on them. Saying "you'd probably say X too" doesn't mean saying "X" is okay.

This idea that it was some great injustice and who could blame someone for being upset. I don't buy it. It was an incident that happened with nearly half an hour of the game still to play. There was still plenty of time left to decide the game. It was a game that decided whether Leigh finished 4th or 5th. This wasn't a situation that ended their season, or decided a cup final, or saw them relegated, it decided whether they play at home or away. If that is the benchmark for such outbursts we're going to be seeing them a lot more frequently from now on. It was one of a vast number of harsh calls throughout the year that played a part in deciding the outcome of games but were not the single deciding factor (because one incident never is).

Having said that, people can get very personal about stuff like this but ultimately I don't think it's a massive issue. Derek Beaumont has mentioned his mental health issues previously and I don't want to start speculating on anyone's wellbeing but impulsiveness and difficulty controlling emotions are pretty common traits for a variety of mental health conditions. Things get said in the heat of the moment, people get carried away. Just because some people find it easy to control what they say doesn't mean everyone does. I don't think it necessarily says that much about a person in isolation and I don't know the guy. I do know some really nice people who come out with some absolutely ludicrous stuff after a pint or two when angry or frustrated. Give them a load of money and an RL club to run they'd be just like DB.

Basically, what he said comes across as a immature, he's probably going to get punished for it by the RFL but it's hardly a massive scandal.

Edited by EagleEyePie
  • Like 4

Derek is passionate and loves Leigh total working class person who has through hard work made a successful business and put some of  his hard earned wonga into RL.

Emotion passion nothing wrong with that in my little world have put thousands into my silly old non league football club over the last few years even though i don't really like football any more but it's a passion from my childhood having been brought up by wonderful adoptive parents in my home town.

100% certain Derek has now calmed down and ready to rock and roll at Hull KR this weekend.

Good luck to both teams:)

Paul

• Thanks 1

P!$$3d up rant by a bloke who forgot he owns the club and has a responsibility to represent his club and RL as whole with dignity, instead he reverted to his fan mode and swiped out at everybody he sees conspiring against him.

You can't knock his commitment but you can certainly take issue with his common sense.

Shame I thought he had put his demons back in the bottle.

• Like 3

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, binosh said:

He told a bunch of Leigh fans that the sport’s organisers were corruptly conspiring to hold Leigh back, and then told them that he’d had enough and wouldn’t be funding the club anymore. 

I’m not sure what more he could have said to be more newsworthy! 

• Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

While I accept @Dave T's sensible point about having a villain character in the sport, I really can't get past the fact that Leigh have had such a wonderful season and he still acts like this.

Imagine how he would be if they were sat at the bottom of the table and heading back down.

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

While I accept @Dave T's sensible point about having a villain character in the sport, I really can't get past the fact that Leigh have had such a wonderful season and he still acts like this.

Imagine how he would be if they were sat at the bottom of the table and heading back down.

We don't need to imagine, we've seen it! 

If Beaumont wants to throw the baby out with the bathwater , who really cares . He is just a total s--t stirrer  who thinks  just because he is loaded . his tripe carries more weight.If he wants to do something constructive . use his money to train up some top quality referees instead of the poor examples we have at the moment.

If he wants to quit good riddance 

• Like 1