Amateur / Pro clubs relationships

What are other peoples experiences, who are involved in the amateur game, with your local Professional team?  My experience with the Widnes club is very poor.  We are the largest amateur club in Widnes and we have next to no contact from the Pro club.  I would assume that we would be the prime market for them to tap into with over 300+ kids registered but not a peep from them.

For example, do Hunslet RLFC work with Hunslet ARLFC? Rochdale Hornets with Rochdale Mayfield? Cas Tigers with Lock Lane?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Viking Ste said:

What are other peoples experiences, who are involved in the amateur game, with your local Professional team?  My experience with the Widnes club is very poor.  We are the largest amateur club in Widnes and we have next to no contact from the Pro club.  I would assume that we would be the prime market for them to tap into with over 300+ kids registered but not a peep from them.

For example, do Hunslet RLFC work with Hunslet ARLFC? Rochdale Hornets with Rochdale Mayfield? Cas Tigers with Lock Lane?

Wakefield in West Yorkshire look after Bassetlaw in Nottinghamshire and Immingham in Lincolnshire very well.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Viking Ste said:

Have your club reached out to Widnes to try to forge a relationship? 

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It’s absolutely on Widnes to do that, It’s poor they have little contact with clubs in the area 

Yeah it's in their own interest.  To me it's a no brainer that professional clubs forge close links with amateur clubs as they should be a great source of players and fans.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Have your club reached out to Widnes to try to forge a relationship? 

Several times to the point it has become fruitless. We receive more interaction from St.Helens and Warrington

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Yeah it's in their own interest.  To me it's a no brainer that professional clubs forge close links with amateur clubs as they should be a great source of players and fans.

I would have thought so too. I'd be interested to hear suggestions as to why Widnes aren't doing that.

York have got a close relationship with Heworth and New Earswick All Blacks. Don’t seem to do much with Acorn for some reason. 

• Like 2

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

8 hours ago, Spidey said:

It’s absolutely on Widnes to do that, It’s poor they have little contact with clubs in the area 

Agreed, but if they’re not doing it there’s no harm in reaching out to them rather than waiting for them to come to you. 

10 hours ago, Viking Ste said:

Which club are you talking about?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Fax have a pretty poor relationship with Siddal which is a shame as they have likely produced more top level SL players than a lot of other amateur clubs. This dates back to the time Fax were in SL and poor relations back then and since the drop out of SL Siddal now have better relationships with Huddersfield and Wigan.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Damien said:

They’ll be scratching their heads next year when season ticket sales plummet. This is basic stuff for a so called professional club

31 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Fax have a pretty poor relationship with Siddal which is a shame as they have likely produced more top level SL players than a lot of other amateur clubs. This dates back to the time Fax were in SL and poor relations back then and since the drop out of SL Siddal now have better relationships with Huddersfield and Wigan.

I know someone at Wigan who speaks very highly of Siddal and thinks that they are a great club. In particular that they are a great breeding ground for players because they receive really good coaching. Obviously Wigan have signed a few players from there like Morgan Smithies.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

I know someone at Wigan who speaks very highly of Siddal and thinks that they are a great club. In particular that they are a great breeding ground for players because they receive really good coaching. Obviously Wigan have signed a few players from there like Morgan Smithies.

A lot of young lads move to Siddal from around u14s from other clubs too.

Does anyone know if Leigh or Wigan link up with Westhaughton Lions on the fringe of north Bolton?

They have successfully got funding for a facility (a story in itself) and support junior and senior RL teams.

They’re very active on Twitter/X (or Twix as I call it) and help promote/cross-promote themselves, Wigan, Leigh and also Swinton Lionesses.

There’s also Bolton RLFC that I believe play on the other side of town with Bolton RUFC.

Famous actor Robert Shaw (Jaws, Battle of Britain etc) was from Westhaughton originally.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Does anyone know if Leigh or Wigan link up with Westhaughton Lions on the fringe of north Bolton?

They have successfully got funding for a facility (a story in itself) and support junior and senior RL teams.

They’re very active on Twitter/X (or Twix as I call it) and help promote/cross-promote themselves, Wigan, Leigh and also Swinton Lionesses.

There’s also Bolton RLFC that I believe play on the other side of town with Bolton RUFC.

Famous actor Robert Shaw (Jaws, Battle of Britain etc) was from Westhaughton originally.

Westhaughton is more like West Bolton and is a little funny though in that although its Bolton it is very close to Wigan and Leigh. Westhaughtan Lions for instance would only be about 2 miles from Hindley ARLFC with St Pats and Rose Bridge probably about 4 miles away. Leigh East and Miners probably a touch more.

Edited by Damien

32 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Wigan Warriors have perhaps the largest active network within the Community Game.

Their Club Ambassador programme now involves 20+ clubs  ( probably more than 6000 players ) and is a big part of their Foundation activities. Westhoughton Lions are members and have received help and advice. After all they are only  a couple of miles from Hindley ARLFC ( also members ) !

The network is nevertheless extensive running through Lancashire into Cumbria. Perhaps Viking should approach them - after all his club Halton Farnworth (? ) is where they got Harry Smith from...

This side of the hills Warrington who have squad players actually linked to local clubs and St Helens are  also both heavily involved within the local community set ups. 

The top clubs a while ago realised where their bread is buttered. There is no alternative. Some might say it's going the Australian way but it is undoubtedly the future.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Viking Ste said:

Is this HFH Ste?

Is it probable that without an academy they've nowhere for young players to play?

From what I've heard on TV St Helens seem to do quite a lot of fishing in that pond. 

How do Widnes keep St Helens mitts off them all things considered.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

10 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Is this HFH Ste?

Is it probable that without an academy they've nowhere for young players to play?

From what I've heard on TV St Helens seem to do quite a lot of fishing in that pond. 

How do Widnes keep St Helens mitts off them all things considered.

Pro- clubs with no elite academy are pretty unlikely to form links with the amateur clubs to bring player through to play for them.

But what they can do is build a good relationship to try to find their fans of the future. Only a small percentage of junior players continue to play into adulthood, and a smaller group still will play professionally, but such pro-clubs might stand a better chance of getting the juniors to attend matches as spectators (for another 70 years) if they are encouraged when young via link ups between the clubs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Westhaughton is more like West Bolton and is a little funny though in that although its Bolton it is very close to Wigan and Leigh. Westhaughtan Lions for instance would only be about 2 miles from Hindley ARLFC with St Pats and Rose Bridge probably about 4 miles away. Leigh East and Miners probably a touch more.

Can we settle on north west?  Haha (embarrassed Boltonian)

• Haha 1