Sat 28th Oct: International: England v Tonga KO 14:30 @ Huddersfield (BBC)

Who will win?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/23 at 14:00

19 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I understand why Hill is in there. Experience. When you look at the backline, it’s incredibly inexperienced at this level. I however, would definitely have Mulhern in over Lees. I’d probably have Currie in over Farrell too. We really need to play some younger forwards. 

Experience of what?

Like others, not 100% sure of Farrell on the bench as he is an 80 minute player.  But if McMeeken is firmly in the front row rotation then I think you need an edge player on the bench in case you need to shift the back line around.

And if one of Whitehead or Bateman were on the bench then you would say the same about them being an 80 minute player.  The other option is Currie I guess and while he is quality, I don't think his form this year warrants a place over Farrell.

And with no Knowles on the bench I would expect to see more minutes from Radley this week which is no bad thing.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I thought Lees did well last week with some good low tackles stopping some momentum from the Tongan's... Fonua-Blake in particular. 

But is that enough for an international prop. I guess he has a similar role to Jake Trbojevic this morning.  High work rate and technically very good in defence.

I'll admit I'd previously failed to see the fuss around Lees but he proved his worth last week IMO. 

He sat alongside McMeeken as the only England forwards to not register a missed or ineffective tackle, while also topping the tackle count with 39. His linespeed during the first 30 minutes killed any chance of momentum from Fonua-Blake and Fotuaika. 

Granted he didn't add much carrying the ball but he was England's most important defender, Burgess and subsequently McMeeken were strong enough to carry the offensive load while he shored up the defensive line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I'm a huge fan of Bateman. I was talking more in regards of Farrell on the bench. I don't see the point of him on the interchange bench.

Bateman is due a big game, so I hope he goes well today.

Oh I agree. Hence Curry over Farrell would be my pick. 

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

I will bet you now that if he is as ordinary as last week he will still be in again next week.

Yeah, he does seem to be getting by on reputation.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Farrell get the start this weekend.

Just now, 17 stone giant said:

I like the BBC intro graphics, but I feel like it needs some better music. When I think of when BBC had cricket (soul limbo) or F1 (the chain), I feel this theme is a bit wishy washy.

Its a rehash of the World Cup graphics.

Looks like the RFL have outdone themselves this time, holding a Test match in a town with only 3000 rugby league season ticket holders, one week before holding the same game 14 miles away. Genius.

Note for next time: There are 20,000 season ticket holders in Hull, where England haven’t played for 5 years…

IMG_0044.jpeg

• Like 6

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

The pitch looks better than last week's, and the pundits are saying it is firmer underfoot. Good news for both teams.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Misty in Huddersfield

I remember her. Nice girl.

• Haha 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Looks like the RFL have outdone themselves this time, holding a Test match in a town with only 3000 rugby league season ticket holders, one week before holding the same game 14 miles away. Genius.

Note for next time: There are 20,000 season ticket holders in Hull, where England haven’t played for 5 years…

IMG_0044.jpeg

There should be an appetite for internationals in Hull. But they have had awful crowds over and over in the World Cup games they bid for. 

• Like 1

Kristian Woolfe is one of the best things in our game. He is so professional, and thinks so deeply about the Tonga identity.

He is the beating heart of this Tonga side. It would not be the end of the world for them to win and set up winners take all. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Like 1

England to win this easily - AUSTRALIA  march on without ruffling a hair - no wonder international RL is not attractive - there is no competition 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

England to win this easily - AUSTRALIA  march on without ruffling a hair - no wonder international RL is not attractive - there is no competition 

Oh well, there's a nailed on Tongan win then.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will bet you now that if he is as ordinary as last week he will still be in again next week.

Bateman was our 2nd best metre making forward last week. If that's what you get from an 'ordinary' performance it explains why he's in the team.

• Like 2