Who is the scariest player you've ever seen play RL?

12 minutes ago, Rioman said:

Eddie Syzmala from Barrow.  Decent player and as tough as they come.

First name that popped into my head.

I did hear, as a coach, ex-Barrow player Frank Foster scared the Whitehaven players ****less. Don't they say the Barrow board twice wanted to sack Foster, during his 10 years coaching at Craven Park, but no director dared tell him?! Mick Stephenson reckons Foster was the hardest opponent he ever encountered.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 7

59 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I would say that was a good call, especially if he was coming in at on speed.  He would also come under the ‘biggest nutcase’ category.

Fixed that for you.

• Haha 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Kelvin Skerret I reckon all players who played against him had an eye out for where he was. I’d also add Morley but I don’t think he was as dirty as Skerret but he played close to the line so often got it wrong. 

Edited to add I remember seeing an interview with Gordon Tallis were he was asked if there was any player he looked out for in the NRL. Firstly he said no then he corrected himself and said Moz adding you should always know were Morley is. 

Edited by bobbruce
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Scary , nah . I’m not afraid of any player , I’ll shout at all of them from the back of the stand 

I remember going watching Saints at Bradford and Jeff Grayshon (I’m 90% sure it was him) being sent off. At the time the players walked up the stands to get off the pitch a few Saints fans calling him a dirty bar steward as he came off. The next thing he was plowing into them I suppose you could call it doing a Cantona but 10 or so years before him. 

20 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Kelvin Skerret I reckon all players who played against him had an eye out for where he was. I’d also add Morley but I don’t think he was as dirty as Skerret but he played close to the line so often got it wrong. 

Edited to add I remember seeing an interview with Gordon Tallis were he was asked if there was any player he looked out for in the NRL. Firstly he said no then he corrected himself and said Moz adding you should always know were Morley is. 

Only ever saw skerret back away from a fight once. It was at wilderspool(obviously!)and dessie squared up to him whilst he was playing for Bradford. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Yeah I think Morley would be scary in a different way to players like Skerret and far more intimidating. There are probably a fair few players of that era like Skerret who were just pure dirty, all teams had them. However I think a player like Morley could do all the dirty stuff but would also have striked fear into anyone running at them or trying to tackle them.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Yeah I think Morley would be scary in a different way to players like Skerret and far more intimidating. There are probably a fair few players of that era like Skerret who were just pure dirty, all teams had them. However I think a player like Morley could do all the dirty stuff but would also have striked fear into anyone running at them or trying to tackle them.

I think the thing with Skerret is there were times when he completely lost his head. At that point you just knew someone was going to take an elbow in a tackle or knees on the floor. 

• Haha 1

Just now, bobbruce said:

I think the thing with Skerret is there were times when he completely lost his head. At that point you just knew someone was going to take an elbow in a tackle or knees on the floor. 

Yeah, there was always fireworks for sure!

• Haha 1

Maybe not quite what was being asked, but the player who scared me the most was Ryan MacDonald with the way he ran the ball in, I don't know whether he was more likely to hurt the opponent or himself. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.