England vs Samoa Series

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yes.

It's a big stadium and makes a statement in a way that Headingley doesn't. It has also held many great RL events over the years. One big West Yorkshire venue is far more preferable than having two, as we did this year, and Headingley really shouldn't be big enough.

The game needs to think bigger.

It is an absolute dump in every single way 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It is an absolute dump in every single way 

Well many grounds are. Headingley is sub 20k and has an open terrace, it's hardly luxury. If we are having 1 West Yorkshire test, which we should, then that isn't good enough and we shouldbe aiming for more.

You moan about Old Trafford and say you won't go there either. That doesn't mean stadiums like that and Elland Road don't sell as bigger and more prestigious events. The fact is that Elland Road has got some great crowds for RL events.

20 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Anfield isn’t much better either.

Anfield is easily the most cramped of any stadium I've been in. People were literally standing in the aisles and leaving because they couldn't cope with the seats at the 4 nations there.

• Like 3

London (something 25-40k?), Wigan, Leeds/Hull.

Hopefully the timing works a bit better this year and both teams can play warm up games against France/Wales/Ireland/Scotland. Although I’d think if Samoa can they’ll try and play a game Vs Tonga before their respective tour/tournament starts.

7 hours ago, Damien said:

Anfield is easily the most cramped of any stadium I've been in. People were literally standing in the aisles and leaving because they couldn't cope with the seats at the 4 nations there.

It’s strange IMO that a club that has been involved in two tragic incidents of fans being crushed should try and cram as many people as possible into a stand. Money again.

For those mentioning Hull, just a reminder that it pulled a lower crowd than Huddersfield at RLWC2021 for a far more attractive QF.

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

18 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I think Woolf has said the same - trying to organise a Samoa vs Tonga game or series.

I’d like to think Samoa would prefer a three match series in England to a one off game against Tonga in Australia. Though presumably it depends on what the NRL tell them. 

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

For those mentioning Hull, just a reminder that it pulled a lower crowd than Huddersfield at RLWC2021 for a far more attractive QF.

I was at that Hull QF, couldn’t believe how few people there were there, for an absolutely belting game of rugby. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I was at that Hull QF, couldn’t believe how few people there were there, for an absolutely belting game of rugby. 

Hull crowds for internationals have been rubbish for the last decade. Headingley, Wigan and Brentford would suit me, though they’d old aim higher in London if they have a marketing budget. It feels though that we have a catch 22 with the RFL. They seem to have virtually no one selling or marketing effectively (or who could organise the ticketing: sales 101). And so bring in far less money than they should, and so don’t bring in more people for marketing and selling… 

34 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’d like to think Samoa would prefer a three match series in England to a one off game against Tonga in Australia. Though presumably it depends on what the NRL tell them. 

I think you underestimate the rivalry and marketing value a Samoa vs Tonga match can attract. If it's a 3 game series then Samoa will definitely stay.

3 games series in Auckland, Sydney and Melbourne will be a sell out.

• Haha 2

Tonga & Samoa playing a 3 game series would throw the pacific championship structure out the window or at best cause a major shuffle. I doubt that will happen seeing as the government is funding the tournaments. 

Far more like either Samoa stay and play in the tournament or play a one off test V Tonga before heading to England. A 3 games series V Tonga is highly unlikely.

It would be good to see some warm ups this time for as many teams as possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Tonga & Samoa playing a 3 game series would throw the pacific championship structure out the window or at best cause a major shuffle. I doubt that will happen seeing as the government is funding the tournaments. 

Far more like either Samoa stay and play in the tournament or play a one off test V Tonga before heading to England. A 3 games series V Tonga is highly unlikely.

True.

The danger for the RFL is not a TON-SAM series but the Pacific Cup running with 4 teams. If I were SAM, I'd prefer the Pacific Cup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Mojo said:

I think you underestimate the rivalry and marketing value a Samoa vs Tonga match can attract. If it's a 3 game series then Samoa will definitely stay.

A sell out, seriously? 

55 minutes ago, Mojo said:

do you read about the Pacific Championshi the alst four weeks 

it will happen again in 24

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

If the schedule next year is similar to this year there is scope to do both and for Samoa to play Tonga before flying to the UK. The NRL Grand Final this year was 2 weeks before the SL final.

• Like 2

Disappointing that the same old venues are being touted. 

Should definitely be one in London. Hull should get one, great stadium always a decent crowd.

As ambitions and expectations for crowds aren’t too high what about Brunton Park, Carlisle? Capacity18000

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Marrafan said:

Disappointing that the same old venues are being touted. 

Should definitely be one in London. Hull should get one, great stadium always a decent crowd.

As ambitions and expectations for crowds aren’t too high what about Brunton Park, Carlisle? Capacity18000

It’s only being touted in this forum tbf, not by the RFL, who haven’t even announced a tour yet. 

• Thanks 1

England v Samoa in the World Cup semi final in a famous stadium drew 40k to Arsenal. I’d love to share in the optimism but I don’t understand why so many on this forum think Brentford would sell out for a November test match against Samoa. 

Edited by Eddie