Magic Weekend

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

It depends what you definition of disaster is and what your expectations are. Sure the first day may sell out and we may get 20k the second day and the powers that be can pat themselves on the back but for what? All we are doing is exporting a round of loop fixtures to an aging stadium in a RL city and getting an attendance less than the same fixtures would get at home venues. This is really doing no more than that.

Again it just seems rather pointless.

Its totally pointless IMO.

By disaster I mean the end of RL as we know it as it seems to be foretold all the time 🙂

It will happen , there will be an OK crowd people will moan and we'll move on, as Ive said I think the concept of Magic has some merit, but after 17 years with seemingly no direction or purpose its time to either try something else with that weekend or drop it.

Had they at least balanced the fixtures out better, this could have been alright. But Saturday is stacked and Sunday is going to be dead in comparison.

I think the strategy is hope that some fans from the Saturday stick around for the Sunday. With it being so close to majority of fans' homes, I can't see that happening. I'll be going Saturday, doubt I'll be staying for the Sunday.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

48 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

For whatever reason, the RFL appear to accept slow decline at uninspiring events as being the level they want to achieve.

I'm generally take a positve postition on things like this. No matter if the glass is half empty or half full, there still room for more beer!

However, in the case of Magic 2024, the beer is flat, warm, sour, undrinkable, with floating dimps. What a wasted opportunity to build something unique, to build something worthy of national sporting interest and importance. Yes it would need the organisers to redouble their efforts in building a true Festival of Rugby League, something that in fact IMG should be capable of doing (paid to do, outside of the Re-imagining project).

What do we get instead?  Leeds and worse - Elland Road, FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFS.

Caution: as with many of my predictions, this one will also prove to be incorrect.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Derwent said:

It has the feel of fulfilling a contractual obligation with Sky as cheaply as possible. Nothing more, nothing less, just doing the bare minimum to be compliant with the contract.

What's the requirement for a Magic weekend within the Sky contract?

(I can't remember if it's included in their announcement about TV rights these days)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

What's the requirement for a Magic weekend within the Sky contract?

(I can't remember if it's included in their announcement about TV rights these days)

It is one of these 'facts' that often get floated about to keep Magic, like Sky love Magic, Magic adds value to the TV deal, its easy for Sky etc. There is no basis for any of it though. We had TV deals before Magic and we'll have TV deals after Magic.

What Sky want is a set number of games over a 8 months or so period. Magic can be part of the mix to provide those games or not.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Derwent said:

It has the feel of fulfilling a contractual obligation with Sky as cheaply as possible. Nothing more, nothing less, just doing the bare minimum to be compliant with the contract.

That would mean we also have another two years of it. So would make sense not to do something so damaging next year.

I think you will sell out on the Sat, and probably between 20-25K on the Sun

The issue is that people will only watch the one game, they are unlikely to stay the entire day.  So even if you sell 27K on the sat, you will probably see less than 10K in the ground when London vs Hull kicks off.  Your not going to see a full stadium at any time, even if they sell out

13 minutes ago, crashmon said:

The issue is that people will only watch the one game, they are unlikely to stay the entire day.  So even if you sell 27K on the sat, you will probably see less than 10K in the ground when London vs Hull kicks off.  Your not going to see a full stadium at any time, even if they sell out

I do think that's ok. I think people understand that people wander in and out, it's the nature of the event. In fact I think it needs it, as when Magic is too full, it can be a bit of a pain based on previous experience of unreserved seating with drunken groups.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I do think that's ok. I think people understand that people wander in and out, it's the nature of the event. In fact I think it needs it, as when Magic is too full, it can be a bit of a pain based on previous experience of unreserved seating with drunken groups.

Yes some of them only come to drunkenly do that silly Mexican wave. 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, crashmon said:

In fairness thats the same at any Magic venue.

There wasn’t 30,000 watching leeds v Cas lat year

15 minutes ago, crashmon said:

I mean that's been true at each and every Magic event there's ever been. I've been to Newcastle twice and Cardiff for Magic over the years - whilst those 2 stadiums have massive pluses, owing to their city centre locations, it does in fact if anything encourage people to spend more time out of the stadium than in it. This isn't me suggesting ER is ideal (because the opposite is true) but i'd hazard a guess it will actually appear fuller on TV. 

2 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Wouldn’t it be better at this point to have a Magic Week End played at 6 different venues, selected from the home grounds of the 2 participants in each game? 

This actually illustrates the weakness of the Magic concept.

Are we trying to spread the game?  In which case, the 1997 format makes more sense.

Or is it a fiesta of rugby league?  in which case, it's failed because hardly anyone seems to watch more than one game.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

25 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Does anyone know how I can get tickets for the RFL on Ice? TIA.

Too soon for tickets Gomersall . RFL On Ice starts at the end of 2024 season and runs until IMG gradings are released . Depending on team's final scores , RFL On Ice may be extended beyond release of gradings 😉

Edited by Taffy Tiger
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Griff said:

Or is it a fiesta of rugby league?  in which case, it's failed because hardly anyone seems to watch more than one game.

I just don't think this is true at all. There is always overlap, plenty of people go for both days, and crowds for less attractive games are always far higher than their regular home games, so obviously plenty are watching more than just their own game. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Wouldn’t it be better at this point to have a Magic Week End played at 6 different venues, selected from the home grounds of the 2 participants in each game? 

I read this as humorous,  meaning "Well, why not just play the fixtures as normal, as any other round, and just call it Magic Weekend." 🙂

Edited by JohnM
  • Confused 1