Carcassonne

1 hour ago, Midlands hobo said:

If one team is strong in elite 1 a d wants to try their luck in our pyramid then it would briefly weaken E1(don't forget it's not like a team goes under and the players are all released back into the market) but the now weaker league looks more competitive to E2 sides who move up and the. Maybe there is a solid Sunday league side who may want a crack in E2. 

The ladder of progress doesn't just mean players. 

Ideal scenario they come here we have a decent amount of french sides in the pyramid they the. Break away and have a thriving national pyramid and produce a great national side. For Wales to beat obviously 

I don’t think it’s that simple in French RL. Very few teams below E1 can afford the money they have to pay to move up. It would either mean the FFRXIII reducing the money required to play in E1 or they run with less teams. I’m sure someone will confirm or correct me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glossop saint said:

I suppose with something like this they require 'investment' and sponsorship to make it happen. They can't go relying on away fans even if they make the SL.

What makes you think they don't have decent support already? I went to an Elite 1 game in Stad Albert Domec vs Lezignan and there was a decent crowd there - I'd guess around 1500 to 2000. They could grow that with the attraction of visiting UK rugby league teams.

Nobody should make a plan for a rugby league side which relies on away fans! Away fans are a bonus on top of all the other season tickets, home ticket sales, sponsorship, planing, sales and merchandise.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, gogledd said:

What makes you think they don't have decent support already? I went to an Elite 1 game in Stad Albert Domec vs Lezignan and there was a decent crowd there - I'd guess around 1500 to 2000. They could grow that with the attraction of visiting UK rugby league teams.

Nobody should make a plan for a rugby league side which relies on away fans! Away fans are a bonus on top of all the other season tickets, home ticket sales, sponsorship, planing, sales and merchandise.

I agree. I was replying to a post saying that was saying that Carcassonne needed to get out of L1 and into the championship quickly so that the championship away fans would be able to keep them afloat. I was saying that that is not feasible. I don't see enough away fans travelling for championship or even SL clubs to keep any French team afloat. They need their own fans and finance. That will determine their long term future.

I agree that they've got a good base and that that could increase with the attraction of visiting British teams. 2000 could potentially support a top half championship team but not when you have to take into account that they need to pay for visiting teams. For this they really need more corporate sponsorship or benefactor money.

Edit. I completely agree about reliance on away fans be the club be in France Wales or the M62 corridor. A useful income stream but it isn't going to be enough to base a business plan on.

Edited by glossop saint
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Edit. I completely agree about reliance on away fans be the club be in France Wales or the M62 corridor. A useful income stream but it isn't going to be enough to base a business plan on.

And just supposing we eventually have Cats, TO and Carcasonne in SL, that will in all probability gave those that visit France picking one game per season at any of the clubs, not many will be going to more than one game, Cats have near exclusivity now they will find visiting numbers diminishing when the fans are shared out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

And just supposing we eventually have Cats, TO and Carcasonne in SL, that will in all probability gave those that visit France picking one game per season at any of the clubs, not many will be going to more than one game, Cats have near exclusivity now they will find visiting numbers diminishing when the fans are shared out.

You could always fly with Flylo

spacer.png

4 hours ago, gogledd said:

AND they have a train station and an airport!! 45k population too a bit like another SL town I won't compare them to.....

Edited by Tre Cool
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Currently limited to two clubs from outside the UK.

Unlikely to change until Superleague itself expands, I would've thought.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

5 minutes ago, Griff said:

Currently limited to two clubs from outside the UK.

Unlikely to change until Superleague itself expands, I would've thought.

Very hard to see SL having 3 French clubs, whilever it has 12 clubs + loop fixtures. Can't see too many SL clubs being thrilled at the prospect of potentially 6 trips overseas in the season if loop fixtures fell that way.

23 hours ago, Gomersall said:

I don’t think it’s that simple in French RL. Very few teams below E1 can afford the money they have to pay to move up. It would either mean the FFRXIII reducing the money required to play in E1 or they run with less teams. I’m sure someone will confirm or correct me.

Cats and TO both still run a team in Elite 1. I wonder if Carc would plan to do the same? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phiggins said:

Very hard to see SL having 3 French clubs, whilever it has 12 clubs + loop fixtures. Can't see too many SL clubs being thrilled at the prospect of potentially 6 trips overseas in the season if loop fixtures fell that way.

I think this is right. And Carcassonne need to be told whether or not they would be allowed into SL before they start playing in any lower league in England. Remember when Toronto won the Championship and there was still some doubt at the end of the season about whether they would actually be allowed up...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, mrfranco said:

I think this is right. And Carcassonne need to be told whether or not they would be allowed into SL before they start playing in any lower league in England. Remember when Toronto won the Championship and there was still some doubt at the end of the season about whether they would actually be allowed up...

Definitely. A plan needs to be pulled together for developing the game in France, then go from there.

• Thanks 1

Having been involved on and off in France for over 35 years my opinion for what it's worth.

France even with only 70 clubs producers the highest % of players that can move into SL/Championship than anyone.

We still just don't get it and in my opinion pay lip service to the potential that France can produce.

In some small towns and villages rugby league is simply in the DNA it would not take much investment and effort to make the game strong.

The Dragons have been a fantastic Toulouse have grown too best way forward is to give 100% support to the traditional rugby league areas in England and France.

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 9

17 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Having been involved on and off in France for over 35 years my opinion for what it's worth.

France even with only 70 clubs producers the highest % of players that can move into SL/Championship than anyone.

We still just don't get it and in my opinion pay lip service to the potential that France can produce.

In some small towns and villages rugby league is simply in the DNA it would not take much investment and effort to make the game strong.

The Dragons have been a fantastic Toulouse have grown too best way forward is to give 100% support to the traditional rugby league areas in England and France.

Completely agree. I spent time playing in Carpentras around 20 years ago. They loved the game.

Would aligning the season with England be beneficial? Could run some kind of joint play off with League 1, like the Treize Tournoi. Either as a standalone competition or for a place in the Championship.

Would you prefer the French teams to stay in Elite and grow that competition?

How would you like to see the game developed?

• Thanks 1

On 08/12/2023 at 00:25, Midlands hobo said:

Ideal scenario they come here we have a decent amount of french sides in the pyramid they the. Break away and have a thriving national pyramid and produce a great national side. For Wales to beat obviously 

They’ve got their own pyramid already. Why don’t they just make that thrive?

• Like 4

On 08/12/2023 at 15:12, ATLANTISMAN said:

Build where the market is - KISS is always best

11 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Build where the market is - KISS is always best

How'd that pan out for the England-Tonga series?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 06/12/2023 at 12:28, Tre Cool said:

-10 IMG points for sharing their name with a popular board game

You don’t have a clue do you? The mind boggles. They don’t have a monopoly in the area. They’re a well run operation but they’re willing to take the risk. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

They’ve got their own pyramid already. Why don’t they just make that thrive?

Not enough money in the game in France for starters and is not Super League  supposed to be a European league not a renamed division 1,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owls said:

Not enough money in the game in France for starters and is not Super League  supposed to be a European league not a renamed division 1,

Neither of those points will be disputed by me, but I was simply responding to one comment which highlighted a potential opportunity of adding another French team or teams may go on to help develop enough French teams to break away and create their own pyramid, when this already exists.

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

You don’t get it and I won’t try educating you

I would hazard a guess that it is you that doesn't get it.

You say KISS - Keep it simple and straightforward*? I.e. hosting 3 England Rugby League International games where 99% of Rugby League clubs are based. I am not sure it can get more simple or straightforward than that.

Or perhaps there is a lot more factors in place then just KISS.

*See, I can google as well, I am not after an "education", but thank you

Edited by Click