Match Threads - To post or not to post, that is the question.

I don't think I can face a new season of posting match threads only to see them all routinely descend into slagging off the match officlals by fans of whichever side happens to be losing/have lost the match.

Should I bother...?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Yes but just delete any references to slagging officials off straight away so they don't descend into a gang up.

Better still have a locked topic to put these comments in that can be read only so folk can look back over the year and see how pathetic they sound!.

They were shambolic last season, especially Saints one with the same people ruining them every single time.

I realise it's incredibly difficult to police these threads as they often move very quickly, but the only threat can be bans I expect. Just set the rules as they are set for club forum trolling.

• Like 6

Don’t know why people bother posting about the ref on match threads, anyway. Everyone knows they’re all bent.

(that was a joke, by the way)

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, dkw said:

They were shambolic last season, especially Saints one with the same people ruining them every single time.

I realise it's incredibly difficult to police these threads as they often move very quickly, but the only threat can be bans I expect. Just set the rules as they are set for club forum trolling.

I agree. A lot were shambolic last season with the Saints ones being a regular occurrence. Mind you a few Saints fans did “flounce” off towards the end of the season

Part of the reason for being difficult to police are due to the matches being played in an evening when John Drake would probably prefer to not be working!!

Lengthy bans, even, the day after would probably work in the long run although until the message sinks in some treads will still be ruined. 

• Like 2

I value them. But would absolutely agree with a zero tolerance approach for even hinting the officials are in any way dodgy.

That’s not to say you can’t find a decision strange or feel a team didn’t get the run of the green.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'd agree with the above posters. The match threads are great when people are discussing the actual game.

Especially valued by us folk that aren't surrounded by RL folk and often watching on your own.

A short term ban of a few weeks /no nonsense approach seems fair but understand it must be an absolute nightmare to monitor some of the threads we saw last year. 

Previously, the majority of comments would be on the match threads for the 2-3 broadcast games.

I can understand John Drake's sense of dread as this season approaches. All threads are for live broadcast/streamed games. That's a whole ruined weekend for JD as he monitors TRL for people getting all Trumpy after their second half of shandy.

And there's no point appealing to people's common sense and dignity, because some folks can't resist the red mist, especially when their team is penalised for something they 100% absolutely deserved.

Match threads will be started, whether officially or not. God help us.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

I don't think I can face a new season of posting match threads only to see them all routinely descend into slagging off the match officlals by fans of whichever side happens to be losing/have lost the match.

Should I bother...?

Can we restrict them to certain posters? 

I suggest put me on the list first and then people can apply to me for access ? 

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I can understand John Drake's sense of dread as this season approaches. All threads are for live broadcast/streamed games. That's a whole ruined weekend for JD as he monitors TRL for people getting all Trumpy after their second half of shandy.

Dread tinged with excitement though  surely? 

A big increase in site traffic?

9 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Criticising/questioning calls is fine IMO.

Criticism or questioning is one thing, but in reality it tends to cross the line into paranoid ranting about half an hour before kick-off and go downhill from there.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

Perhaps John could ask users that he knows well enough from their posts over the years to help moderate the match threads(limited to their own Club) their particular Club?

This is something i was also thinking of, have moderators for each club who will remove any horrible comments and keep the threads worth reading.

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

Perhaps John could ask users that he knows well enough from their posts over the years to help moderate the match threads(limited to their own Club) their particular Club?

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

This is something i was also thinking of, have moderators for each club who will remove any horrible comments and keep the threads worth reading.

This has to be the way forward hasn't it? Some how appoint extra moderators for the match threads, there are enough respectable posters on here for that to happen and then anyone abusing their mod power can also be reported and face a removal of moderator privledges/ban.

12 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

I think you should take it a step further and do a thread for every Championship and League 1 match too 😉 

Kill me now!

• Haha 6