Fri 29th-Sun 31st Mar: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Please stick to discussing the matches in question and do not accuse match officials of being biased or corrupt or you run the risk of being immediately banned from the forum.

FRIDAY 29th MARCH
Bradford Bulls v Halifax Panthers KO 19:30
Dewsbury Rams v Batley Bulldogs KO 17:00
Doncaster v Sheffield Eagles KO 15:00
Featherstone Rovers v Wakefield Trinity KO 18:00
Whitehaven v Barrow Raiders KO 15:00
Widnes Vikings v Swinton Lions KO 14:00

SUNDAY 31st MARCH
York Knights v Toulouse Olympique KO 15:00

Edited by John Drake
Added standard warning about refs, plus match dates/KO times.

1 hour ago, Rene_Artois said:

Thoughts and opinions?

Widnes v Swinton

Whitehaven v Barrow

Doncaster v Sheffield

Dewsbury v Batley

Featherstone v Wakefield

Bradford v Halifax

York v Toulouse 

Widnes, Sheffield, Batley, Trinity ( but want Fev to win), Bradford and Toulouse all to win. Haven v Barrer - who knows that will be my match to watch as I reckon it'll be as fiery as anything! Up in the Lakes on hols too but the boss says she'd like us to walk Cat Bell's. Please think of me chuntering to misself walking in the rain.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TheYoungBaron said:

Widnes, Sheffield, Batley, Trinity ( but want Fev to win), Bradford and Toulouse all to win. Haven v Barrer - who knows that will be my match to watch as I reckon it'll be as fiery as anything! Up in the Lakes on hols too but the boss says she'd like us to walk Cat Bell's. Please think of me chuntering to misself walking in the rain.

You need to explain to Mrs TYB that the splendour of Cat Bells can only be fully appreciated at dawn.  After that, how else to fill the day?  Explain you have heard about an attractive open space in Whitehaven and offer to take her there!

Put it another way, TYB, are you man or mouse?

Sorry, was that "Eek" you said in reply?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, TheYoungBaron said:

No one ever goes up cat bells after 1pm, it's a local rule....honest.

Now coincidentally you can get to whitehaven in the for the match then...

• Like 2

• John Drake changed the title to Fri 29th-Sun 31st Mar: The Betfred Championship Match Thread
  • John Drake pinned this topic
3 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

You need to explain to Mrs TYB that the splendour of Cat Bells can only be fully appreciated at dawn.  After that, how else to fill the day?  Explain you have heard about an attractive open space in Whitehaven and offer to take her there!

Put it another way, TYB, are you man or mouse?

Sorry, was that "Eek" you said in reply?

I know who the boss is in our house...and she's eating crisps on the settee as I type 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

FRIDAY 29th MARCH

SUNDAY 31st MARCH

You have got to have a lot of admiration for Bradford deciding before the season to put out a bold statement outlining their intention not to use the Dual Reg syatem and stick to developing players in their large squad and their academy. In other news Bradford now have 6 loan players in their squad.

Not sure what to expect from our game, we still can't name a 21 man squad despite bringing players in on DR but it should be a tight game on that pitch so although I think Bradford for the first time in years have a stronger squad than us, I still think its a hard one to call.

FRIDAY 29th MARCH
Bradford Bulls v Halifax Panthers Fax by 4
Dewsbury Rams v Batley Bulldogs Batley by 8
Doncaster v Sheffield Eagles Sheffield by 14
Featherstone Rovers v Wakefield Trinity Wakey by 6
Whitehaven v Barrow Raiders Haven by 2
Widnes Vikings v Swinton Lions Widnes by 10

SUNDAY 31st MARCH
York Knights v Toulouse Olympique York by 8

5 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

Please stick to discussing the matches in question and do not accuse match officials of being biased or corrupt or you run the risk of being immediately banned from the forum.

FRIDAY 29th MARCH
Bradford Bulls 30-12 Halifax Panthers KO 19:30
Dewsbury Rams 14-28 Batley Bulldogs KO 17:00
Doncaster 26-20 Sheffield Eagles KO 15:00
Featherstone Rovers 16-18 Wakefield Trinity KO 18:00
Whitehaven  14-12 Barrow Raiders KO 15:00
Widnes Vikings 26-16 Swinton Lions KO 14:00

SUNDAY 31st MARCH
York Knights 18-36 Toulouse Olympique KO 15:00

Bradford Bulls v Halifax Panthers
Dewsbury Rams v Batley Bulldogs
Doncaster v Sheffield Eagles
Featherstone Rovers v Wakefield Trinity
Whitehaven v Barrow Raiders
Widnes Vikings v Swinton Lions

York Knights v Toulouse Olympique

12 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

FRIDAY 29th MARCH

SUNDAY 31st MARCH

https://www.doncasterrugbyleague.co.uk/article/1683/squad-announcement-|-doncaster-rlfc-v-sheffield-eagles

12 hours ago, TheYoungBaron said:

I know who the boss is in our house...and she's eating crisps on the settee as I type 😂

Tell her about the world famous cheese XL crisps in West Cumbria.....

• Haha 3

Widnes 28 Swinton 10 FT. Rather closer than the scoreline suggests, with a couple of late Widnes tries. Good performance from both teams, well refereed (although Dec Patton appeared to disagree a few times). 

• Like 1

Dons v Sheff is a good arm wrestle so far. Mistakes from both teams, but, if he can stay fit  I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Pauli Pauli.

www.donsstats.co.uk - Full results and player stats for Doncaster RLFC from 1951 to the current day.

38 minutes ago, JonM said:

Widnes 28 Swinton 10 FT. Rather closer than the scoreline suggests, with a couple of late Widnes tries. Good performance from both teams, well refereed (although Dec Patton appeared to disagree a few times). 

Swinton already done us this season and been competitive in every game they've played. Very happy with an 18 point victory. Another vital two points in our relegation battle.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

49 minutes ago, robt said:

Dons v Sheff is a good arm wrestle so far. Mistakes from both teams, but, if he can stay fit  I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Pauli Pauli.

Sheffield will be up there again so to only lose by 6 is a good effort from the newly promoted Dons.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Sheffield will be up there again so to only lose by 6 is a good effort from the newly promoted Dons.

Sheffield are second favourites with the sponsors (behind Wakefield) for the Championship this season. That might reflect the lack of other credible challengers I guess, but time will tell.

More Trinity fans at POR than for the cup game. Filling into the side stand now. Let's hope it lifts the team enough this time.

I'm sure Fev will use the cash windfall wisely. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, robt said:

He's a big lad.

I'd be astonished if Doncaster are relegated. Good playmakers and some serious speed round the outside.

Eagles would have been more comfortable if Cory Aston hadn't left his kicking boots at home and they hadn't conceded so many penalties.

And, additionally, a decent crowd of 1700. Good atmosphere too considering how cavernous the stadium is.

Edited by tim2
Added info
  • Like 3

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, Snowys Backside said:

Accumulator waiting on Dews to beat Batley with 10 start. 

Always a ruckus game so hopeful that Dews can deliver for me 👍

24-0 at the moment so looks like you are on a winner