IMG Grading System (Many Merged Threads)

45 minutes ago, Zilla Budgie said:

So you don't have to finish bottom of SL to be relegated ? Or the 12 placed club could stay in the division, while 11th placed Leigh (for example) are relegated. Is this correct? It's just a cousin of licensing, in my opinion if this is the case.

I haven’t got a clue how it works anymore 🤣😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I don't know about anyone else, but the key thing I took from today's information was that this is the 4th major league table in a row where Hull KR have finished above Hull FC 🤣🤣🤣

...and yet all their fans do is bang on about how they're a big club, and we're a bunch of povs up the road. It's really quite delicious. 

Was there anything else interesting in today's grading news? Must have missed it 

really pleased for Hull KR getting the A grade, they've done a remarkable job in the last few years

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

In terms of performance yes, however another season of SL central funding, SL away fans boosting attendance etc. Unless of course they were in SL 3 years ago and so will be losing that from this years score (I've lost track of which year is which!).

We were in SL in 2021, but it was the covid/poor performance affected one so our crowds were about 2k, turnover would have been poor also and all the other things that come from a disaffected fan base. I think it's safe to say that of the 3 years of data, 2023 will be carrying Leigh's score heavily so one would expect logically a similar or better performance on and off the pitch would carry a decent boost to the 3-year average, and again the year following when the 2022 season is dropped from data should we remain in SL.

What is also not clear from them just giving the headline figures is any sanctions applied to clubs final scores. Looking at the grading handbook there is a 0.25 point penalty applied for clubs not having the proper pathway stuff. It's possibly these gradings have such a penalty for Leigh's failure to have a reserves team last year, but this has been rectified for next year so could get those points back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

OK.

You finish 6th, 7th and 10th in the last 3 years.

Points - 3.444, 3.333 and 3

3 Year Average: 3.259

If you win the CC in the last year, the average would be: 3.342

Are you saying that if you win the CC in the 1st year, that's somehow not counted? I wouldn't know how you would work out the average if it isn't.

Thanks, so essentially, leigh's score will be;

2022 average position + bonus scores for 1895 cup / championship + 2023 aveage position + 0.25 = whatever they score in 2024. All divided by 3

My bad, had read it as a bonus of 0.25 onto the overall score, rather than baked into the season average.

12 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

In terms of performance yes, however another season of SL central funding, SL away fans boosting attendance etc. Unless of course they were in SL 3 years ago and so will be losing that from this years score (I've lost track of which year is which!).

They were in SL 3 years ago and finished bottom. Next season will replace another SL season but obviously they cant be placed any worse. They can though lose 0.25 points for their Challenge Cup win (unless they win it again obviously or win the Grand Final)

36 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Results aren't everything, London coming up, in the shape they are, proves why this should be the case.

I know. But in the example I refer to, on field could be critical too. 

3 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

OK.

Are you saying that if you win the CC in the 1st year, that's somehow not counted? I wouldn't know how you would work out the average if it isn't.

not like that for starters 😄

I'd say you work it out as average finishing positions across the three years.. add together the finishing positions (if you win for the past 3 years you get 3, your example gets 23) tabulate that and apply the grading points to those positions.. then you add on the extras. 

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

really pleased for Hull KR getting the A grade, they've done a remarkable job in the last few years

They should get an extra 5 point bonus for the street food setup/park... great customer service approach.

Edited by redjonn

1 hour ago, Damien said:

It does all seem up for grabs between 10-13.

Obviously if Cas are correct and they get another 0.5 that would make them safe you'd imagine. If not they are in big trouble. You can now see why they are desperate to make those small improvements to their ground, as per their recent statement, to improve their score.

Another year in SL will only improve the Leigh score slightly if they don't finish bottom, as their 2021 bottom finish drops out of the average, and where they finish next year will be pretty crucial. They will lose their 0.25 Challenge Cup win bonus though so may be worse off. You'd imagine the rest would be much the same.

A year less in SL goes against Wakefield and makes their finishing position next season really important. There are unknowns with the new owner and new stand. They will have already got some points for finance and stadium so it's just a matter of how much more they can wring out of it.

Toulouse may see a drop as their Championship and Grand Final winning season 2 seasons ago will fall out of the 3 years average. I doubt Toulouse can improve elsewhere either. 

Obviously other factors some into play too but if Cas are wrong they look pretty certain to be 13th on the face of it. If not then league placings could be pretty crucial between Cas, Leigh, Toulouse and Wakefield and even the Championship Grand Final 0.25 point bonus could be key. Leigh could well be pretty vulnerable once they lose the 0.25 bonus and it looks between them and Cas for me.

The new stand doesn't count in Trinity's provisional score so will be added next year. 

10 minutes ago, Leonard said:

https://londonbroncosrl.com/2023/10/25/img-indicative-club-gradings-announced/

London Broncos graded ‘Category B’

Following an extensive period of review and consultation by Rugby League and IMG the new grading categories have today been revealed. It has been confirmed that London Broncos have been graded as a “Category B” club.

Under the new grading criteria, which comes into effect from 2025, any team that has achieved Grade A status would be guaranteed one of the 12 places in Super League. The highest-performing Grade B teams would be in Super League should there not be 12 Grade A clubs.

All clubs are scored out of 20 and a score of 15 or more is required for Category A status, with 7.5 points or more achieving Category B status. London Broncos received a score of 8.07.

Speaking on the results of the review, London Broncos Chairman David Hughes said;

“Whilst accepting the score given, we will now look to work together as a club to improve on this score with the long-term ambition of achieving an A grade.

“Following the magnificent success of securing promotion from the Championship last season the club now looks to build on the strong foundations we have built in Wimbledon and last year’s achievements on the pitch, as we look to establish London Broncos as a Super League club now and in years to come.”

“The vast majority of scores in each category are based on an average over a three-year period so we need to make improvements year-on-year in order to improve our grading score in the longer term.”

Thank you for copying this out into your post.

The fans of other clubs will be really grateful that they don't have to visit London's website to read it and can therefore avoid adding traffic to the website and points to Broncos' next grading score!

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

OK.

Using your example.

The league position pts score is 3.259 no matter when the CC was won in the previous 3 years. If it was in year 3 you get an additional 0.25pts (3.509 total) but nothing if it was in year 1 or 2 (3.259 total)

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I know. But in the example I refer to, on field could be critical too. 

It could, which is why it has still been given a weighting. But in reality it would hopefully only mean the transfer of two basically equivalent clubs.

8 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I don't know about anyone else, but the key thing I took from today's information was that this is the 4th major league table in a row where Hull KR have finished above Hull FC 🤣🤣🤣

...and yet all their fans do is bang on about how they're a big club, and we're a bunch of povs up the road. It's really quite delicious. 

Was there anything else interesting in today's grading news? Must have missed it 

When's the civic reception? 🙂

2 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

We were in SL in 2021, but it was the covid/poor performance affected one so our crowds were about 2k, turnover would have been poor also and all the other things that come from a disaffected fan base. I think it's safe to say that of the 3 years of data, 2023 will be carrying Leigh's score heavily so one would expect logically a similar or better performance on and off the pitch would carry a decent boost to the 3-year average, and again the year following when the 2022 season is dropped from data should we remain in SL.

What is also not clear from them just giving the headline figures is any sanctions applied to clubs final scores. Looking at the grading handbook there is a 0.25 point penalty applied for clubs not having the proper pathway stuff. It's possibly these gradings have such a penalty for Leigh's failure to have a reserves team last year, but this has been rectified for next year so could get those points back. 

Thanks Rob. Very useful post. I completely agree that there should be more transparency. I really liked the post a few pages ago detailing where Leeds got their score (albeit only his/hers estimates). That should be available for each club.

I think that Leigh will be a mainstay of SL for a few years to come, and rightly so given the investment and hard work that has gone on over the last few years and even longer. I'm sure that the proper pathway side of things will develop and they will be a valuable asset for SL, as the system is designed to create.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Using your example.

The league position pts score is 3.259 no matter when the CC was won in the previous 3 years. If it was in year 3 you get an additional 0.25pts (3.509 total) but nothing if it was in year 1 or 2 (3.259 total)

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It won't. It only counts for the current year. 

Yet again, a hammer blow for the actual sport being played on the pitch.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Fans don't turn out for rubbish stadiums. Nor do big sponsors.

The LED lights comments seem to be the most stupid to me, people post it as if it's fa funny gotcha or something. Clubs need to realise that the stadium and facilities they play out of matter in the modern game, thankfully clubs like Castleford now can't just keep bullshitting there way through it and will actually have to improve the facilities.

• Like 3

Just now, Tommygilf said:

It could, which is why it has still been given a weighting. But in reality it would hopefully only mean the transfer of two basically equivalent clubs.

Yeah, I think that's where we will end up when it settles. It feels intuitively like the right clubs are in the right groupings. I think Leigh may be harsh, but as has been pointed out, they have hardly been a shining example prior to this year where they smashed it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

There was a couple of lines on 5 Live in the spirt section earlier. Not much but then again when is there ever much.

I ditched that particular channel many moons ago 

Along with Talk Sh***

It became just leftist propaganda announcements dispersed by sport articles almost solely about the Premiership top 6 

George Riley occasionally did a one minute bit about RL once every year and that was it