Ridiculous that a pro women's league is launched and some teams have no reserve team

Or U19s. Yes I know the league is being funded by Sports England, but is it really sustainable? 

What if Sports England withdraw funding as they've done before, what then? 

It's an admirable idea, the concept of a pro women's league but the men's game needs investment before we even start another pro league. Sorry but I don't see this working. 

So because Sport England fund a Womens league it's irrelevant to  the Mens game. All the money S/L clubs have taken and they can't afford to run a reserve team. I wouldn't mind it would be for their own benefit to bring players through the system. Then we wonder why people say this game is dying.

We are living in 2017 are we not for gods sake:) Women,s Rugby League should be encouraged one only has to see the amount of publicity the RFU have gained for the new women,s championship with SKY even covering a match LIVE on December 3rd.

Lets hope we can do the same down the line 

But nobodies a dressing the 'But what if Sports England pull out' point. That would set the women's game back years. A league based on a single source of funding from a body that is known for withdrawing funding from sports is not solid ground. 

6 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

But nobodies a dressing the 'But what if Sports England pull out' point. That would set the women's game back years. A league based on a single source of funding from a body that is known for withdrawing funding from sports is not solid ground. 

So what you're saying is we shouldn't bother then?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Vladman said:

We are living in 2017 are we not for gods sake:) Women,s Rugby League should be encouraged one only has to see the amount of publicity the RFU have gained for the new women,s championship with SKY even covering a match LIVE on December 3rd.

Lets hope we can do the same down the line 

Totally agree. Women's rugby is a big plus for the sport And will bring in more fans. Face it most of us played either league or union at some level as kids and that's why we are fans.

If more Girls can grow up to play at a young age there are more fans for the Men's game too.

Further womens rugby isn't half bad to watch. Good skills if less physical..

32 minutes ago, damp squib said:

Men's rugby league is only viable because of Sky money. It's ridiculous to set up a league dependent on a single source of funding. It's not sustainable.

We should scrap rugby league.

There are people who would actually get off on that happening

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

If Sky pull out, we have no men's game. If fans stop watching, we have no men's game.

If the women's league succeeds, we have half a chance of being perceived as a 21st century sport and increasing our appeal.

It is a very exciting development, albeit long overdue.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

The only issue with the Women's Super League is one that has been raised elsewhere: will it harm the development of women and girls playing rugby league by taking resources away from the handful of successful clubs who are already involved.

That's not a minor point, it does need addressing.

This thread, however, is a joke.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

'Ridiculous that a pro women's league is launched and some teams have no reserve team' ... what a load of 'closet sexism and lack of knowledge  shown in one statement , surprised  that the OP didn't begin his post with the old chestnut....'I'm not sexist but ....'

FYI The Womens Super League will be a fully amateur comp ,no players will be getting a wage, so that blows your argument out of the window with no discussion needed ...

The Professionalism element comes from the resources and knowledge (that in the main already exist )that Pro Clubs will hopefully be able to input into a teams growth and development .

Whats ridiculous about that ??

50 minutes ago, Frog said:

Think of it as a loss leader. The game is not cash rich but to not Invest in the Women's game would not make any long term sense.

I' think that's actually a fair point.

I would add that promotion of the women's game doesn't have to be justified in terms of the men's game, or any other version for that matter. In this day and age,  the women's game simply needs to be given a fair opportunity to flourish.

4 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Or U19s. Yes I know the league is being funded by Sports England, but is it really sustainable? 

What if Sports England withdraw funding as they've done before, what then? 

It's an admirable idea, the concept of a pro women's league but the men's game needs investment before we even start another pro league. Sorry but I don't see this working. 

I thought you were demanding reserve teams for the women’s competition.

35 minutes ago, Copa said:

I thought you were demanding reserve teams for the women’s competition.

Me too. I thought he was saying "how can we call it a women's superleague" when some of the teams in it don't have women's reserve teams or womens under-19s teams.

League express readers will know that we do now have one player getting Sport England funding - Charlotte Booth from Bradford Bulls & England who's on a Talented Athlete Scholarship at Leeds Trinity College.

It’s amazing how well women’s sport can do if given a fair chance.

The AFL (Aussie  rules) started a pro women’s league last year and it was a huge success. They got bit crowds (some sell-outs) and had everyone talking about it.

The key was the AFL and media treatment of it. It wasn’t portrayed as a novelty or a spin-off of the men’s game. It was treated the same way as the men’s game.

They made personalities of the players, they included those recognizable faces from the women’s game in their overall promotion of AFL and the media gave it equal treatment, eg, whole pages devoted to proper match reports, previews etc.

There were ads on TV featuring some of the top female players, with young girls who wanted to grow up to be like them.

People who normally went to watch, for example, the Brisbane Lions men’s team, would also go and watch their women’s team, and take it seriously.

The AFL played an absolute blinder. Best promotion/treatment of women’s sport I have ever seen.

It can be done, it just takes a bit of foresight and clever marketing 

6 hours ago, DiH68 said:

It’s amazing how well women’s sport can do if given a fair chance.

The AFL (Aussie  rules) started a pro women’s league last year and it was a huge success. They got bit crowds (some sell-outs) and had everyone talking about it.

The key was the AFL and media treatment of it. It wasn’t portrayed as a novelty or a spin-off of the men’s game. It was treated the same way as the men’s game.

They made personalities of the players, they included those recognizable faces from the women’s game in their overall promotion of AFL and the media gave it equal treatment, eg, whole pages devoted to proper match reports, previews etc.

There were ads on TV featuring some of the top female players, with young girls who wanted to grow up to be like them.

People who normally went to watch, for example, the Brisbane Lions men’s team, would also go and watch their women’s team, and take it seriously.

The AFL played an absolute blinder. Best promotion/treatment of women’s sport I have ever seen.

It can be done, it just takes a bit of foresight and clever marketing 

Exactly :-)

Most clubs have some kind of schools development going that cover both boys and girls , Champion Schools has had a girls comp as long as I can remember ....great that aspiring female players will have a target to aim at as players now , wish it had happened in my younger days in the game ( though to be fair Keighley had a massive input in the early 90s into the Ladybirds one of the  pioneering clubs of the women's game :-)

Now girls s playing in clubs at mini level mixed RL will have a more solid funded structure to aim for instead of being lost from the game at 11 when the gender split in teams occurs , nothing worse than seeing kids having to walk away from the team they've grown up with and no future in the sport they love .If nothing more comes of this initiative than that then Sport England's investment will have been worth it ..

RFU and the FA (despite the Sampson affair) have taken their women's team and the publicity they generate to a new level in the media , people tend to like the women's game as its is played with a spirit and attitude  that is not seen with over paid prima donnas  of the men's pro games - especially in football  - maybe that is maybe not so relevant in RL as what ever the doubters think . its still a friendly game in essence where a kid can meet and get close to their heroes , but so long as the RFL can get their publicity right then the WSL can thrive

Cheesy it might be if we can get our women  game to this level then this old female prop forward will be one very happy bunny :-)

Archived