Are Toulouse ready for Super League?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What ever happened to their first entry in 1996 along with Paris? They played 3 seasons across the Channel  in NL1 2008-10 without doing themselves justice remembering that under Justin Morgan they reached the CC semi final against Leeds in 20005. The evolution of Catalans quite different to Toulouse.

Crowds always bigger in Perpignan - there was a Lord Derby Cup semi final  there between XIII Catalan-St Esteve around 2001 which pulled 6000 and witnessed a 4000 crowd on Boxing Day at St Esteve for UTC v Pia around 2004. When Guasch created the club in 2012 there were 4 Catalans teams in an Elite 1 of 12.

Its a harder sell in Toulouse with Top 14, Ligue 1 as well as Handball, Basketball and Volleyball teams who all play in national/internationl competitions. And why TO feel only SL can make the difference. Bein Sports televised their Toronto game and were rewarded with the best crowd thus far this year of around 3,500.

They're miles ahead of what they where in 2010 on and off the field. The owner Sarrazain runs I think a fairly profitable haulage company and they have  well established links with lots of local enterprises. Since they returned to play across the Channel they have played out at Blagnac.At  Stade Minimes today the main stand and club house have been demolished and there is no movement on re-construction from what I know. The group who fought to scupper the clubs original re-development of what 8000 seemed to want more and applied I think for an injunction against the modified proposals. A judge has told the City Council to stop all works on the site.since Easter.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

I'm not sure if it was Matt Shaw or someone else but they mentioned a while ago that Toulouse weren't really pushing for SL this season, if they make it they won't turn it down but they were planing for a push next year. Now this was all before Elstone's unavailing press conference so not sure if that's changed since then.

Toulouse are at least as good as Salford or Widnes, especially from what I saw of Salford's performance against Catalans.  Any of the Championship sides could sneak in over those two and I'm betting both drop out of the league this season.

Not sure that they are quite ready, but I think it's likely they'll be better than Salford and Widnes over the next 7 weeks, so they might just make it.

They will need to look at a different stadium. The one in Blagnac is not without charm, especially the beer terrace on the far side. But i doubt its suitable for SL.

From a selfish point of view, a few more years in the championship would be ideal. It's a great weekend away.

You could say they've been waiting 22 years. In 2013 when the city hosted Dragons-HKR at Stade Ernest Wallon (14,858) TO  displayed a huge banner behinds the posts announcing their arrival in SL for 2015 - with  Ralph Rimmer hand in hand with Carlos Zalduendo that day.

I think I heard Houles saying that this year would be too early for them if they make-it into Qualifiers. They said their goal was to achieve SL in 5 years - this year is only their 3rd since they entered League 1.Their training base I'm not sure up to standard? They would have wanted I presume Stade Minimes all re-furbished and ready for a grand entry and a home base secured even if other facilities in the city could be made available to host their big games. Would presume too that after the 5000 plus they got at Albi for Leigh game they will look at playing games there too.

The French desperate to see their Derby Catalans-TO happening. How good would that be with English teams committed to a real French Tour annually - staying over for the week Perpignan then over to Ville Rose following weekend.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

They aren't even in the Middle 8s for sure yet. I have this horrible feeling they'll bottle it on the weekend. Hopefully not though!

They have been known to not win the ones that matter. I can  see them putting in good performances if the do make it, but MPG is best they could hope for and can't see them handling the pressure.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 7/21/2018 at 8:25 PM, DoubleD said:

It’s an interesting one and it depends what barometer you’re measuring them against as the standard for SL.

If you’re comparing with them to Salford and Widnes then they’re probably about ready on the field.

Off the field, they probably need to do a bit more work, although youth development is encouraging. It’s more to do with the stadium, infrastructure and commercial side of things that they’re not ready. However they could utilise one of the city’s municipal facilities in the interim. I would be happy if they went up this season and were given time to develop and grow. That said, another season in the Championship developing and getting these things in place, wouldn’t hurt them

Sorry for picking this thread up late,

What are you measuring that statement against DD?

I think that had both Widnes and Salford played in the Championship this year having the squads they embarked on the season with they would both have been higher placed than Tolouse, and could well have been 1 & 2 in the League, the season has taken it's toll on both clubs and they may not be as strong as they were, but we will see come the 8's.

Maybe it is a better time to pick up on this thread, and note both teams are recruiting for the 8's, I for one hope that the recriutment process proves succesful for both clubs and they retain their status, if they do that I should imagine the SL will have the same teams in '19 as in '18.

One thing I am looking forward to watching is how Jonathon Ford goes, I have every faith in his ball playing abillity, just not to sure he has the desire to perform to his undoubted expertise when he is being hit hard, which he will undoubtably encounter playing against SL clubs with bigger faster men targetting him as they surely will do. If he stands up to be counted in those games I will be the first to congratulate him, but I have my reservations, with the skills he possess there must be a reason he is not performing at a higher level. 

On 7/22/2018 at 7:27 PM, Mr Plow said:

I think Salford and Widnes are getting ready for the championship 

The signings especially Widnes have made this week suggest otherwise, they may not be the best players around, but it does say that as you suggest they have not thrown the towel in just yet.

The problem is that their two stand out players, Ford and Kheirallah, will both be 29 by the time next season kicks off. If they don't win promotion this year they'll be 30, at the very least, by the time they do get to play SL. Which essentially means they'll be looking for replacements to build the team around. 

If they don't go up this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see those two leave and try their luck in SL.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

6 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

The problem is that their two stand out players, Ford and Kheirallah, will both be 29 by the time next season kicks off. If they don't win promotion this year they'll be 30, at the very least, by the time they do get to play SL. Which essentially means they'll be looking for replacements to build the team around. 

If they don't go up this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see those two leave and try their luck in SL.

I should think that Kheirallah would attract a few suitors, he prooved in the WC that he is very good, still have my reservations about Ford in SL for the reasons I stated above, but then again the jury will be sat in attendance in the 8's.

27 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

They couldnt close Halifax nor London.

Cant see them closing Salford.

I agree. I think people need to get a bit of a grip at the moment. Clubs have hard times. Doesn't mean we need to change the entire sport. They've had hard times in every system.

Maybe if we kept things the same, or made only slight adjustments rather than wholesale changes, clubs would be in a better position to adapt!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

One thing I am looking forward to watching is how Jonathon Ford goes, I have every faith in his ball playing abillity, just not to sure he has the desire to perform to his undoubted expertise when he is being hit hard, which he will undoubtably encounter playing against SL clubs with bigger faster men targetting him as they surely will do. If he stands up to be counted in those games I will be the first to congratulate him, but I have my reservations, with the skills he possess there must be a reason he is not performing at a higher level. 

He's a joy to watch. Seen him three or four times and I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen him get tackled.

1 hour ago, Colin James said:

He's a joy to watch. Seen him three or four times and I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen him get tackled.

That's exactly my point Colin, all the silky skills imaginable, but with an avoidance proceedure upper most, I think he is great assest to have when his team are dominating the opposition, not to sure he would be willing to put his hand up first to lead them into the conflict area's, maybe I am doing him a disservice and he is playing to instruction, all will become evident in the near future.

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The signings especially Widnes have made this week suggest otherwise, they may not be the best players around, but it does say that as you suggest they have not thrown the towel in just yet.

Why don't they make these signings in the close season rather than wait till the 8s start?

it seems like some clubs will happily coast through the season and finding in the bottom 4 and then recruit players to keep them know SL, not fair on the fans who pay to watch them every week

Toulouse in the top flight would be a game changer, but the focus is on the "plan".   Catalans are already well known in France and Toulouse would have to be seen as a stable proposition by sponsors around TV rights to attract the sort of $$'s necessary to be sustainable.

If the RFL / SL change the rules around promotion / relegation and the middle eights, who know how that will play out.  I think it will potentially mess up planning for international expansion

Toronto are the a benchmark for Toulouse to consider, with their new approach, as well as keeping the prospect of cross promotion with Catalans.   The $$'s from the top 4 payment will likely be used wisely for next season, but i guess a) they won't go up with the current squad and b) it's not really part of their plan which is another 3 years

The Leigh approach of boom and bust, financed mostly by one man, as with Salford, i think, is to be avoided. 

On 7/26/2018 at 5:26 PM, Mr Plow said:

Why don't they make these signings in the close season rather than wait till the 8s start?

it seems like some clubs will happily coast through the season and finding in the bottom 4 and then recruit players to keep them know SL, not fair on the fans who pay to watch them every week

Your salary cap goes a lot further if you’re only playing some players for 3 months. 

On 7/26/2018 at 10:17 AM, Colin James said:

Doesn't he live and work in France?

Didn't he turn Widnes down for a FT contract to go work in France?

Archived