Good things about this season

EssexRL

The ever-growing number of live and recorded games that can be watched by fans anywhere in the world with an internet connection.

Dom Manfredi's return from such a long injury.

Garry Schofield's pre-season prediction about London Broncos. :cool:

Steve McNamara being given the time to turn the Catalans' form around, as we saw to such great effect in the Cup.

NZ Warriors not being rubbish, for a change.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great to see so many kind mentions of Coventry Bears.

Our 20th Anniversary season was full of first-evers and best-evers and we ended it by beating a heartlands club who were still in with a shout of the play-offs. We took some beatings along the way but the young Midlands-based squad dusted themselves off and used what they'd learnt to get better over the course of the season. Awesome achievement for CEO Alan Robinson, hipster coach Tom Tsang and the staff.

Our lads in the student world cup.

Another exciting League 1 season where expansion sides get to face up to those with history but having a bit of a rest..

The Denver Test and wondering if I can use RL internationals as a hook for all future holidays.

I started watching RL in York many years ago so pleased for them.

Catalan, Toronto, Toulouse as above and Red Star to look forward to.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:12 AM, cookey said:

Do Coventry have any plans for another high profile pre season game? I believe you played Leeds this year?

Nothing planned yet that I've heard of but there's a fans lobby to get someone of that calibre down to the Butts next year.

Just a thought,why not try Toronto,assuming they will be based in the UK pre season?

Also,are you aware that one of your local M.P.'s is a rugby fan? Mark Pawsey,M.P. for Rugby and Bulkington is Chairman of the All Part Rugby Group (covers both league and union) He is mainly a union fan but via Keith Hogg,Chairman of Scotland Rugby League,he has connections with league.He attended the International at Coventry with Keith.

Coventry and London Skolars beating heartland clubs.

More clubs making use of social media - York, Bradford with live streaming etc.

Our league app.

York's rise on and off the pitch, I never thought they'd come this far when I first saw them struggling to a home win over Coventry in front of 452 just 2 years ago.

Jon Flatman coming into the York club shop at a recent home match to thank all the volunteers for their efforts this season.

Meeting different clubs fans throughout the season at Bootham Crescent. Special mentions to North Wales and Oldham supporters. 

Making weekends of York games in West Wales, Workington and Hemel and seeing club and world records set.

Cas holding their own when it looked like after the first game they'd be the latest grand finalists to be in the middle 8s.

Being part of a huge crowd at Elland Rd for the Cas - Leeds match. Also seeing Headingley take shape, looking like a nice stadium.

Touching a 15ft snake at Odsal (insert joke here!).

Comedy moment: Sanderson at Doncaster cupping his hand behind his ear to the York fans for no reason (he hadn't been goaded or anything) then dropping the ball a few sets later.

There's a lot not right about rugby league at the moment but likewise there's plenty to be pleased about.

- Hornets fans singing the house down at Toronto - and Toronto fans getting getting involved in some great conversations after the game about RL in the UK: hungry to learn and very passionate.

- Hornets fans singing the house down at Sheffield as we produced a last day houdini act to secure Championship status for another year.

- Completing the Hornets World Tour of Toronto, Toulouse, London and Blackpool.

- Ticking off new grounds/clubs in the Sydney Shield and the Ron Massey Cup (and foregoing an NRL game to do so in one case).

IMAG0394_zpsvjvgze6q.jpg

Hull FC

:)

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Wood leaving the RFL

The scrapping of the 8 8 8 Format

SL appointing Elstone and trying to drag the game out of its stagnation

Bradford having a year of relative stability and starting their journey back up the leagues.

The Championship - for me this has been the most interesting year ever with clubs like Toronto & Tolouse mixing it with the traditional clubs like Leigh, Halfax & Fev

Oh and Leeds finishing in the bottom 4 and watching Hetheringtons dummy spitting

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

" Oh and Leeds finishing in the bottom 4 and watching Hetheringtons dummy spitting"

OH!

From my own point of view.

Wakefield finishing 7th, 5th, 5th in the last three years or three top eight finishes and looking capable of kicking on.

The re-emergence of Tom Johnstone after a very serious injury and the fact he's been recognised at the highest levels - if he's up to it at the top level I can't be certain no one can but only playing on the big stage will prove it, but he's earned his shot and boy can he entertain.

Less dependence on reputation in the England set up. Still think we lack creativity but not heart or form.

Castleford threatening for another year.

Warrington showing what most of us knew, that the Saints fans and a sycophantic media had been duped - miles ahead of the rest my backside!

A lot of really talented youngsters coming through and at a wide variety of clubs - Batchelor and Crowther at Wakefield but many more I've seen and been impressed by.

Getting rid of Nigel Wood, I never saw him as a pantomime villian just an average accountant but his time had long gone and things needed to change.

The great JK hopefully leading Bradford out of the wilderness in the proper way - not on borrowed money that can never be payed back - might take a while but at least Bradford fans will be able to feel clean again.

On 9/30/2018 at 5:15 PM, welshmagpie said:

A personal highlight:

The emergence of three proper RL juniors from South Wales at Halifax in the Davies twins and Sion Jones.

Yes for me it was Sion Jones playing for Halifax 14 times at Prop and he is only 20.  hopefully all 3 will play big parts for Halifax next season.  Not only good for Halifax but having more Welsh boys playing Super league and championship rugby will benefit the Welsh National side.

On 10/3/2018 at 10:44 AM, barnyia said:

The number of French players doing well in England.

The number of English players (& coachs) doing well in France

Plus the return of Pia and the rise of Toulon to Elite football

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

From a personal POV...the emergence of my 8 year old grandson as shining star in junior rugby league, everyone who has seen him play say he's designed to play rugby, even so young...he has a file thick with MOM certificates, still a long way to go though, my fingers are crossed he keeps developing.

my son and father of the above, has just qualified to be a rugby league coach, he has no background in rugby but was inspired by his sons love of rugby, so now his father coaches juniors.

Archived