Jarrod Sammut leaves London Broncos

20 hours ago, JoneslessBishop said:

Maverick Sammut alongside game manager Hastings at Salford has a good ring to it? 

If Sammut went to Salford I would make more effort to watch games this season. Somehow though, as much as I really like both players I'm not sure Sammut and Hastings would work. I think they are both too unpredictable. It would be awesome to watch if they did "click" though.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can’t seem to agree with some of the opinions in here. People are talking Sammut up like he’s a proven Super League player, he’s had a couple of years in Super League and has largely spent his time in the lower leagues of the game. 

A maverick and superb to watch when his trickery comes off but how often does it come off and how many games does he have a major effect on? 

He’ll be playing in the Championship next year. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Can’t seem to agree with some of the opinions in here. People are talking Sammut up like he’s a proven Super League player, he’s had a couple of years in Super League and has largely spent his time in the lower leagues of the game. 

A maverick and superb to watch when his trickery comes off but how often does it come off and how many games does he have a major effect on? 

He’ll be playing in the Championship next year. 

You are correct - this was getting far too positive. Lets get some negatives in on a player that is always great to pay and watch.

I did get the feeling that the club was looking post-Sammut during the end of last season. Because you stand out at championship level is no gurantee that you will in the Super League. Now is the time to dust off the old Broncos contacts book and see if Messrs Rea, Dymock and Matterson can suggest a young Aussie half who would benefit from a season or two in the Capital .

It;s a b***er that this has only been confirmed now though

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

8 minutes ago, wackojacko said:

Yeah, can't say I'm particularly pleased about that as a signing. Maybe he'll be more impressive behind a winning pack but I'm not confident.

Will it even be a winning pack without Bateman,Sutton and with an ever increasingly injured O'Loughlin.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, Mr Frisky said:

You are correct - this was getting far too positive. Lets get some negatives in on a player that is always great to pay and watch.

"always"? Really?  I'd says he's sometimes great and sometimes poor and sometimes bang average.  Look at the list of clubs he's played for.  And now he's good enough for one of the biggest clubs in SL?  I'm not convinced.  Strange (poor) signing by Wigan. 

Yes, he is always great to watch.

Funny how everyone said London really needed him for SL and now he is in SL they are saying he isn't good enough.

He could be a cover signing for Wigan but either way put someone like him in a good solid team like Wigan and he may just be the spark they badly need - he may of course just go out on DR until the mid season injuries kick in.

Very interesting and unexpected move. I have absolutely no idea how he'll do, but I enjoy watching him play, so let's hope he can contribute.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not sure how he's progressed since he was last in Super League because of the lack of coverage of Championship rugby but when he was a Super League player I can't say I was impressed. He was a maverick, entertaining, but so wildly inconsistent with poor decision making and woeful defence.

My concern is that Wigan need a player who can fit well alongside George Williams. Williams is best when he's allowed to play a little off the cuff but is grounded by a solid structure. My impression of Sammut based on what I saw several years ago is that he's also best when playing off the cuff. We did so well at the end of this season because Leuluai was doing the simple things very effectively.

I can only imagine this being a good signing if Sammut has completely changed his game and become a steady, intelligent player with good game management during his time outside Super League. Or, perhaps Lam's idea for getting more out of Williams is to force him to take on a difference responsibility and mentality within the team alongside a player similar to him.

I can't say I know enough about how Sammut plays these days to be 100% sure what he's like.

This could be a sign that Wigan are heading in a very different direction. Wane was extremely successful and his approach to young players was commendable but perhaps his style of rugby wasn't doing enough to get punters through the turnstiles. I wonder if they are looking to thrill spectators a bit more with a maverick like Sammut. 

Or he could just be a cheap option that became available and will cover injuries but otherwise sit in the stand?

39 minutes ago, Colin James said:

Or he could just be a cheap option that became available and will cover injuries but otherwise sit in the stand?

Great signing by Wigan ,as Town couldnt afford to bring him back on full time pay but the club but will keep him game fit until he is required at the DW. ??

2 hours ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

His deficiencies will be well covered in a strong Wigan team and his strengths will add that bit of spark in tight games. Could be a good, if rather leftfield, signing.

I agree. Lam has reasons for signing him and it's probably a combination of salary was reasonable, player fits a mould he likes and he's available. Sammut will do fine as won't be expected to be more than a rotation player.

If he knew Lam wanted him no wonder he was keen to leave London. Wigan are one of the greatest clubs so of course a player will want to play for them if possible... Unless they have a good reason to not do so..

He may surprise us and put in some good showings in SL..

. As Josh Drinkwater showed last year give a decent HB a good pack and he can do many things... 

A shame for London though.... Can't seem them winning more than 5-6 games all year at This rate. 

Archived