World Cup venues announcement

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Can only imagine the way some of the backwards colloquial fools will react to the prices of food and drink at Arsenal ?

Are you suggesting that the normal attendees at the Emirates speak non colloquially, i.e. in a formal or literary manner? Or did you perhaps not understand the meaning of colloquial?  As for whether they are more advanced or less foolish, why do you suggest that might be the case?

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think its interesting to see that a lot of the articles up now are leading with the Emirates semi final as the headline.

The Emerates is plausible.  How big is the pitch e.g., how does it compare to OT.

8 minutes ago, zorquif said:

Well, I don't think anyone is spending the weekend in Brent if they come to London for the weekend and to watch a game at Wembley

I am not trying to be funny, but .... Have you never heard of the West End? Or the National Gallery? 

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I am not trying to be funny, but .... Have you never heard of the West End? Or the National Gallery? 

That's exactly my point! It takes as long to get to Wembley from the West End or the National Gallery as it does to get to Wire, Saints or Widnes from Manchester or Liverpool (and apparently Donny from York).

Not too displeased with this as Sheffield,  Donny and Coventry are only an hour away and many are easily reachable but a great shame that there is nothing at all in the West Country. Bristol was the highlight of the last one for me.

3 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

I worked in Middlesbrough for five years in the early 1990s. There is virtually no interest in rugby league in the town. Teesside Steelers ARLFC, based at Billingham RUFC, were quite successful for the short time they existed. On the plus side, Teesside is sports mad. Depending on the fixture, I can envisage a big crowd at the Riverside Stadium.

3 hours ago, Yorkie44 said:

I'm looking forward to it, I love going to new stadiums to watch rugby.

Although there isn't much presence in Teeside there is a lot close by, In and around Newcastle, Peterlee, Catterick, Scarborough and let's not forget it's an hour up the road for us from York. Can't wait.

Yarm Wolves play in the junior section of NE Rugby League and would be the closest to Middlesbrough. I think they're a relatively new team but will be one I'm certain will be looking to benefit from the game taking place at the Riverside.

Below is a snippet from a Newcastle Thunder article of the plans they've already got in place to build a legacy from Newcastle Hosting the opening ceremony and game:

Newcastle Thunder and the award-winning Newcastle Rugby Foundation will now be aiming to use the impact of the tournament to create a meaningful legacy for the sport in the wider region.

Activity will begin later this year and will continue throughout the countdown to kick off, with plans including:

• the establishment of a new rugby league club in the west end of the city
  • the formation of new under 7s teams at each of the regions grassroots clubs
  • further development of the women’s game in the North East
  • A flagship festival in the days leading up to the start of the tournament.

Full article at https://www.thunderrugby.co.uk/general/newcastle-to-kick-off-rlwc-2021/

27 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Initial thoughts...the opener at Newcastle is great as is having an England game in Sheffield.

I'm a little unsure about Bolton having an England group game. I would rather this have gone to a bigger city such as Bristol or London (disappointing to see the former miss out and the latter only host 1 match).

I like the Emirates hosting a semi final. It's headline grabbing and should comfortably sell out. I would like to have seen Wembley, but the Emirates is equally acceptable.

Old Trafford is a safe bet for the final.

Good that there has been reasonable attempts to expand outside the heartlands without being overly ambitious. That being said, the lack of Bristol and second London game is puzzling.

Finally, here's hoping that 3 games in Cumbria and a new stadium can be a springboard for the sport in that area.

I agree with all of that. I’d have had a game in Bristol and another in London - think we could have been a bit more ambitious with England’s third group games but clearly that depends on bids etc. 

I hadn’t realised Workington were seeking to build a new stadium; if that does happen, then really pleased they are getting games.

The risk for me is the 3 x games at St. Helens and Doncaster. I have faith in other locations filling the 3 x games but Saints was nowhere near full for Aus vs Fiji in 2013 for example.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Clearly the RFL are intent on helping Headingly pay off it's mortgage out of its £25 million bung from the govt. Allegedly. 

Whatchoo talkin about Rupes? 

I imagine the world cup team are most keen to hold matches in the city which repeatedly delivers the best crowds.

And yes I'm sure there is keenness to reward those clubs who have built their own new stadia, and especially a club who has reached into its pocket and spent eye watering amounts of cash on a pure RL stadium.

I can't recall a more slick,professional,and positive rugby league output,without any negativity,on any media platform,as this presentation.

I hope to see far more,and hear from,each of the individuals,up to and at the World Cup games in 2021.

The odd appearance at each of the stadia may also be helpful.

Quite a tonic,and far superior to any other recent launch.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Warrington will also be hosting a PDRL tournament, as Adam Hills has already retweeted.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

44 minutes ago, JonM said:

I suspect the deeply unhelpful attitude of the football club for previous rugby league events might have played a part, but we have no idea how their bid stood up against the ones put in by Bolton, Huddersfield etc. so it's all speculation.

Maybe Wigan put a really good bid up, but the others were even better?

But past last-minute rescheduling clashes due to the Football club were probably one factor, yes.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

#RLWC2021 is still top-ten trending on Twitter in the UK, as of 1:30pm. Even better, most of the Tweets I've seen haven't just been raging with paranoia and fury, but very positive.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, M j M said:

Whatchoo talkin about Rupes? 

I imagine the world cup team are most keen to hold matches in the city which repeatedly delivers the best crowds.

And yes I'm sure there is keenness to reward those clubs who have built their own new stadia, and especially a club who has reached into its pocket and spent eye watering amounts of cash on a pure RL stadium.

I am still dubious, but to be fair (a bit!) that was based on 8 games claimed at first. But the spreadsheet says 3.

Admittedly being sour about this I think the enthusiasm about this list in some quarters is misplaced.  But now it's up the the "winners" to prove it.

BTW, good luck to The Thunder and their development work.

3 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

I worked in Middlesbrough for five years in the early 1990s. There is virtually no interest in rugby league in the town. Teesside Steelers ARLFC, based at Billingham RUFC, were quite successful for the short time they existed. On the plus side, Teesside is sports mad. Depending on the fixture, I can envisage a big crowd at the Riverside Stadium.

There are some local teams scattered about and people are trying to grow it through all age groups.  It's up against the local union scene, which is pretty strong, but this fixture will be a tremendous boost.  It's only one fixture and, if used intelligently, could easily be the difference between the game pushing on to the next level or withering.

One of the issues is that I'm not aware of any schools that play RL on Teesside.  Maybe the RFL can work at that on the back of this fixture.  One thing I would say about Teesside is that there are a lot of working areas that have, like in Yorkshire, provided interest for RL participation.  And like you say, they're sports mad.

Also, like you, I look forward to the future efforts from news outlets attempting to spell both Middlesbrough and Teesside.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

I think they have gone with a good balance of safe bets and ambitious venues, although I think a lot of it will be tough sells, particularly for grounds that have 3 games - But they did a good job in 2013, so fingers crossed.

I'm not sure of this obsession with wanting all venues to be great for a weekend away. Destination venues are important, but we have a few of those in there. 

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

A condition of the government's £10m funding for the tournament was that >80% of the games have to be staged within the government's designated "Northern Powerhouse" area.

I read HMG has committed £25 million to the tourney.

Archived