Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
THE RED ROOSTER

Eddie Hemmings - a Tribute Thread

5 hours ago, Amber Avenger said:

The people who complain now will miss him when he's gone - and then start complaining about the next commentators!

I'd like to think so.

• Like 1

rldfsignature.jpg

If anyone is interested there is an Eddie Hemmings special programme tonight just before Cas V Wakefield @ 6.45pm.

Edited by Rage

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

For those who need a sense of perspective

image.png.cb881f77378ad8ffeaf307008dbd82a5.png

Thanks for coming to the rescue Eddie!

This is a very good point

When I first got a SKY (or was it BSkyB then?) aerial back in the day, it was a HUGE step forward to be able to watch top quality rugby with a knowledgeable and articulate commentator who wasn't dear old Eddie Waring or Ray 'Ooooooooh' French. 

The step up was really quite something. And younger viewers who don't recall just how much of a joke Rugby League was back in the days of Grandstand on a Saturday afternoon, and Eddie struggling to get his words out as he (sadly) declined in health, need to bear this in mind when they bag Eddie.

Thanks for taking RL a big step forward Eddie, and have a happy retirement.

• Like 1

The tribute is repeated after the Cas v Wakey game if people missed it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Eddie has always been a good play-by-play guy and was good at staying in his lane, letting the 'experts' provide the colour and technical analysis. Distinctive voice and covered some great moments. He and Stevo probably carried on a tad too long (Stevo in particular as his technical knowledge became more dated) but no doubting the contribution they have both made to the sport.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

The tribute programme is certainly a good watch and full of nostalgia. It certainly backs up what I said earlier about the Sky coverage being several notches better than anything we had seen before.

Eddie article from yesterday's The Daily Telegraph

eddie-hemmings-prepares-call-time

• Like 1

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

Obviously needed a bit about Union and the use of the word Nationwide rather than 'southern' - not sure of relevance in a piece about someone who has no interest in it and commentates on a totally separate game.  Good response by Eddie though

Thanks for the memories Eddie and all the best for the future

53 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Good article, I thought, with only one union reference.

But one factor has remained immutable: with due respect to the London Broncos and the Catalans Dragons, this is a sport of the north. A certain other oval-balled pastime remains the nationwide choice.

the Telegraph needs to acknowledge its part in propagating this myth. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

"Eddie Hemmings prepares to call time as the voice of rugby league - 'How do you replace the irreplaceable?'

Good stuff and his contribution marked as well.

The yawn stuff is cliched and predictable and for covering in another thread.

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

Surprised he's packing it in mid season rather than after the Grand Final but good luck to him.

Not everyone's cup of tea granted but what commentator is? Can't deny his enthusiasm for the game.

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

Thought the Sky tribute show was an excellent one. Always liked Eddie and thinks he gets some unfair stick. He is excellent at the moment as he appears to have a weight lifted from his shoulders since he announced his retirement.

It is funny that he highlighted his regret as not being there for this year's Grand Final, suggesting maybe the timing wasn't 100% his choice.

• Like 2

If anyone knows where overseas viewers might find the Eddie tribute show, let me know.

I found this interview Eddie did on YouTube really interesting - particularly when he talks about the early days. He also seems to confirm Bill Arthur will do the Grand Final this year.

Eddie Hemmings interview on Youtube

Edited by Cake Tiger
  • Like 1

Good luck Eddie

Think he enjoyed watching yesterdays one sided Saints victory

Good to seem him having a laugh throughout and a measure of the man that many of the old camera men and presenters were back to see him off

Always enjoyed Eddie's work , Stevo did get a bit annoying towards the end , basically trying to hard to be himself , but Eddie will be missed , all the best for the future 

Eddie was very humble yesterday.

Thanks for the memories Eddie have a long healthy retirement

On 19/04/2019 at 08:31, THE RED ROOSTER said:

eddie-hemmings-prepares-call-time

A nice article for a national newspaper that doesn't normally cover Rugby League.

But the fact that there's only one comment under the article illustrates the general lack of interest from readers and shows how far Rugby League has to go before being widely accepted.

7 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

A nice article for a national newspaper that doesn't normally cover Rugby League.

But the fact that there's only one comment under the article illustrates the general lack of interest from readers and shows how far Rugby League has to go before being widely accepted.

I think that's more to do with the newspapers and TGG than any acceptance. We probably all feel it's better to appreciate someone like Eddie where he knows he can find it.

But Eddie did it, even at the end, giving them a quote about yawn worth keeping and a statement about TGG worth using in the future.

There's only one Eddie, only one Eddie ........

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

10 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

The same applies to the BBC's rugby league coverage.People claim they want better coverage from BBC but their articles receive relatively few views/comments.The BBC/National papers wont cover stories where they receive few clicks.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cookey said:

The same applies to the BBC's rugby league coverage.People claim they want better coverage from BBC but their articles receive relatively few views/comments.The BBC/National papers wont cover stories where they receive few clicks.

We've been in the circle of covered wagons forever so if it a choice between Total RL and Love RL or Aunty and the Telegraph where would you choose to go?

And while we're on the subject we may be in the circle but it's one of their making. Admitedly Aunty isn't as bad as the Telegraph by any stretch but we haven't chosen to be under represented in their newspapers, at no point have we ever said please London Journalists we'd prefer it if you just pretended we weren't here and if you do happen to mention us simply compare with some othe sport in a negative way and we'll all be much happier.

Eddie said it best

" "But people who watch league... they come to this once and they are hooked. I was. It is an honest, decent, rough, tough, athletic and skilful 80 minutes."

And maybe it's the honesty of our game contrasted with such a lack of it in their backyard  where it all goes wrong.

There's only one Eddie .... only one Eddie

Edited by Oxford