Replacements For Barry and Terry

Are they leaving? 

I’d rather no one, if I’m honest. There’s too many as it is with them, Bill Arthur, Phil Clarke and Stuart Cummings. Why do we need to replace them? We should set them free into the wilderness to talk rubbish at bus stations with tramps, bin Cummings for his “this should be no try” comments only for the video referee to then award a try, bin Phil Clarke for his pearls of wisdom like “if it stays like this, Salford win” last night when, shock horror, Salford were winning and I’m not exactly keen on Arthur. 

I’d like to see Carney moved back into a commentary position, Jenna Brooks to be the face of the studio based stuff and Fraser Dainton to be the lead. Like people say about the structure, less is more. 

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Brian Carney, Jon Wells and Jenna Brooks are assets. Almost all the rest of the Sky team seem past it or trading off former glories or both. 

A cull of pundits who made their name before Super League was even born is long overdue. 

Have to say i agree. When you watch any other sport on Sky, Football, Cricket, RU, their pundits rotate or perform different roles. We have everyone on all the time doing the same thing. Revamp is needed.

25 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Have to say i agree. When you watch any other sport on Sky, Football, Cricket, RU, their pundits rotate or perform different roles. We have everyone on all the time doing the same thing. Revamp is needed.

I’d have the anchor and 2 pundits in a studio rather than them sat on a gantry, I think it looks smarter and more professional than seeing them overlooking a run down Belle Vue ect.

As for the commentary team, you only need 2 people at a game; 1 commentator and 1 summariser, maybe a touch line reporter

As for pundits I like what the BBC does using current and recently retired players not someone who hasn’t played for 20 years

Image result for waldorf and statler

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I actually think Barry is ok ... talks well and has good insight. It’s Terry who needs to go and generally talks nonsense and uses too many ‘in the know’ terms.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

11 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

I’d have the anchor and 2 pundits in a studio rather than them sat on a gantry, I think it looks smarter and more professional than seeing them overlooking a run down Belle Vue ect.

As for the commentary team, you only need 2 people at a game; 1 commentator and 1 summariser, maybe a touch line reporter

As for pundits I like what the BBC does using current and recently retired players not someone who hasn’t played for 20 years

I disagree about the studio. It just shows (or looks like) they couldn't even be bothered to send people to the game. Belle Vue might be run down but at Leeds or Wigan there is no issue.

I don't mind having an extra summariser. We all needed a break from Eddie and Stevo now and again. But clearly Clarke, Cummings and Baz n Tez are way too much on top of the core commentator and summariser.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

13 hours ago, Essai Machine said:

I'd go for Jon Wells and Eorl Crabtree .

Wells knows the game well and Eorl is Big Daddy's nephew , and a good pundit .

Jon Wells commentating or summarising is a bad idea on the occasions he has done it on a studio cast from Catalan or Toronto he been to opionated in his own mindset of the proceedings on show, it is like he does at his touch screen but does not have the time to prepare his dialogue.

1 hour ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I actually think Barry is ok ... talks well and has good insight. It’s Terry who needs to go and generally talks nonsense and uses too many ‘in the know’ terms.

I smiled at Barrie's comment at a recent Catalan game, describing how big Sam Kasiano is he said something along the lines of "he is about 23 stone that is in the old metric system" ?

Get rid and don’t replace them . Take Phil and Cummings with them . No commentary at all will be better than them. Cringingly bad . They basically just say the same things every week regardless of what’s going on

33 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Get rid and don’t replace them . Take Phil and Cummings with them . No commentary at all will be better than them. Cringingly bad . They basically just say the same things every week regardless of what’s going on

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/345033-why-are-rugby-league-fans-so-miserable-all-the-time/

I'm no fan of  Barrie and Terry but if anyone should go it has to be Clarke, I don't recall him saying anything sensible in all my time watching Sky, he clearly feels he is superior to the others, and lacks any sense of humour whatsoever, in fact he's RLs answer to Garth Crooks, add in the obvious Wigan bias and he's long overdue for the chop?

Barry and Terry are dreadful and should have gone years ago. 

I'd have one summeriser of Wilkin or Michael Shenton who is excellent with the media. Carney & Wells to the studio with a guest connected to one of the teams playing. I like Cummings as it's stopped commentators and summerisers saying "that should be a penalty as the rules says........" when they don't know anything like the wording of rules. Also I do think someone has to explain the reason a referee has taken a certain course of action.

Also I like Rod Studd who commentates well and is a fast talker and thinker and ahead of the game. He should be in there with Arthur and Proe.

22 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Like Brian Noble you mean. And Jonathan Davis.

In fact I rate Davis.

22 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Baffles me that a creative, inventive company like Sky is happy to give RL subscribers the same old same old.

If they insist on having retired ‘character’ props why not someone like Ben Westwood next year? He’s definitely a character.

One person I really can't see the point of on the commentary team is Stuart Cummins. For starters he's never going to disagree with the ref's interpretation, and when he says something and the on field or video ref go on to view it differently he immediately changes his tune which renders his previous comment useless. 

I could see the point of having him in some sort of weekly round up with him assessing any controversial decisions at a screen for example, but during a game on an already over crowded commentary gantry its really not necessary.

On 31/08/2019 at 09:25, Odsal Outlaw said:

Personally I agree with the above. I like Barry and think he’s more eloquent than people give him credit for. Terry never says anything new and should go. Find Cummins irritating and can’t see the point of him—- the game has a ref and video ref, we don’t need his waffle. No problem with Wells or Carney . Another commentator/ summariser ( Clarke) is just not necessary 

59 minutes ago, Bring back the Boyd said:

Personally I agree with the above. I like Barry and think he’s more eloquent than people give him credit for. Terry never says anything new and should go. Find Cummins irritating and can’t see the point of him—- the game has a ref and video ref, we don’t need his waffle. No problem with Wells or Carney . Another commentator/ summariser ( Clarke) is just not necessary 

Which is Barry and which is Terry? Does one always stand on the left?  I mean I can never work out who is Dick and who is Dom either... never mind Ant and Dec.

On 31/08/2019 at 18:27, DavidM said:

Cummings adds absolutely nothing.  I doubt he listens to it himself as if he did, he’d fall on his sword.  No axe to grind regarding his past positions, he’s just really bad at it.

Where is the British Ray Warren now Mick Gledhills blown it?

Archived