Jump to content
Jayme2020

Ottawa Aces (Merged Threads)

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Celt said:

"Aces"?  Seriously?

Welcome aboard all the same.  Be prepared for the inevitable resistance from fans of certain english clubs who after 100 years of existence still play in front of 500 fans in ramshackle stadiums (we all know who you are.....)

 

Out of 38 Clubs there's only possibly 3 that fall into that category.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

I get the feeling Argyle & friends are bankrolling Perez. 

To be honest even if they were would that be a bad thing at this stage? Can we afford to turn away money?

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Toronto’s mission statement is to put rugby balls in kids’ hands. Unfortunately there is scant evidence of them attempting to do that.

By now I might have hoped for some collaboration with union clubs to offer summer rugby league to encourage participation in RL, a partnership with Canada Rugby League to identify and develop talent, school visits, perhaps a touch RL ‘little league’. Maybe they have done some of that but I haven’t seen anything.

I realise it’s difficult with their playing & coaching personnel based in England but they don’t appear to be sowing any seeds in their ‘hometown’.

Until they do they lay themselves open to accusation that the Wolfpack is Canadian in name only and has no intention of expanding the geographical playing base of rugby league. Some may find that acceptable but my belief is that expansion without that geographical spread isn’t true expansion.

Ultimately Toronto not having the squad depth that comes from having home-grown talent will continue to put them at a disadvantage. They must know this, so why aren’t they taking those first baby steps?

Actually being based in Manchester is an advantage as they can pull from the league clubs in England like they've done with Rochdale. Ottawa being based in Canada will make it harder for them to attract players. Being based in Canada they can't start an academy because it's too expensive and league barely even exists in Ontario with only two league clubs. Where will the players come from without juniors coming through?  Which is why I stress they develop the game at a junior level but there definitely apathy they would rather sponsor yawnion events, disappointing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Actually being based in Manchester is an advantage as they can pull from the league clubs in England like they've done with Rochdale. Ottawa being based in Canada will make it harder for them to attract players. Being based in Canada they can't start an academy because it's too expensive and league barely even exists in Ontario with only two league clubs. Where will the players come from without juniors coming through?  Which is why I stress they develop the game at a junior level but there definitely apathy they would rather sponsor yawnion events, disappointing.

Ottawa does have a big high tech sector having a Rfl team could be used as a  tool to attract workers from the UK some might have kids who have played rugby for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Could this be the 1st of a trend of several buyouts and relocations of RFL Clubs? 

It’s not a relocation of a club. They’ve bought Hemel’s L1 licence but Hemel are carrying on exactly as they were before, just without a licence to play in L1 which they don’t use any more anyway. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Nope. Union players count for £0 on the British salary cap in year one if they have never played professional RL.

Besides, I’m talking about Canadian MLR players and their related development systems and programmes. Seems odd to me that the Canadian clubs aren’t tapping into what is an established rugby structure. 

Maybe they just don't think they're good enough RU players and certainly not worth the time and effort to turn them into RL players.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

My ideal SL would be 14 teams with 2 French teams and 2 Canadian teams

My ideal would be 4 Canadian teams  --- Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver --- and 6 French teams  -- Catalans, Toulouse, Avignon, Paris, Lyon, and Marseille. But that would take at least 20 years, and require the deaths or disappearances from public life of Robert Elstone, Tony Adams, Ralph Rimmer, Brian Barwick, Neil Cudgell, Phil Clark, Barrie McDerrmott, Terry O'Connor, and a host of others.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

Ottawa does have a big high tech sector having a Rfl team could be used as a  tool to attract workers from the UK some might have kids who have played rugby for years.

a very tenuous link indeed.  I can't see the presence of a rugby league team making any difference at all in that field quite honestly.


Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Because it's safer? Only the player with the ball can get hit and not by someone in a full suit of armour. 

Reading the press, theres a school of thought thats growing, they say times running out, even for the mighty NFL. 

That school of thought likely grows with each successive suicide by a former player who's losing his mind from the brain damage he suffered when he played.  The saddest cases by far are the two NCAA players who offed themselves for that reason before they even finished college.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Celt said:

a very tenuous link indeed.  I can't see the presence of a rugby league team making any difference at all in that field quite honestly.

It could make a difference to some maybe not a ton but for some it could be appealing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

Ottawa does have a big high tech sector having a Rfl team could be used as a  tool to attract workers from the UK some might have kids who have played rugby for years.

And then they move to OttAwa and play against who ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

And then they move to OttAwa and play against who ?

If you have enough players in Ontario then a league would have to be created which Rugby Ontario should be looking at now.

Edited by Jayme2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jayme2020 said:

If you have enough players in Ontario then a league would have to be created which Rugby Ontario should be looking at now.

If !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

If you have enough players in Ontario then a league would have to be created which Rugby Ontario should be looking at now.

Rugby Ontario doesn't have any interest in RL now that the Arrows exist. They're focused on integrating Arrows/ Arrows Academy into the existing provincial high performance structure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen the news now and I have to say I'm very excited about this, with the expected announcement about New York due soon it looks like the RFL are indeed very open to expansion.  I just hope that Superleague are onboard with this.  

With the possibility of more applications coming in as well the whole game need to have a strategy on how to handle overseas expansion.  Is it as simple as just adding new teams to League 1?  Is one approach suitable when you have such different approaches from the likes of Toronto compared to Valencia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

So it could legitimately play Canadian football rather than a second-rate version of gridiron.

You and I have had this discussion before 😏, so I won't rehash that. But, as minor as the current differences are, I do like our version better. It is closer to rugby, after all.

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Because it's safer? Only the player with the ball can get hit and not by someone in a full suit of armour. 

Reading the press, theres a school of thought thats growing, they say times running out, even for the mighty NFL. 

I didn't day Canadian Football is perfect and shouldn't change. It just doesn't need to be rugby league. It very obviously does need to make changes to be safer. I'm in favour of that. I'm also in favour of changes to make the game a little more unique from the American version.  And I think these changes can be made in a way that also makes the game a little more free-flowing and, dare I say rugby-like. But we don't need to lose one sport for another when we can have both.

Rugby League needs to build it's own thing, not piggyback off of other codes, be it rugby union or Canadian football. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

Rugby Ontario doesn't have any interest in RL now that the Arrows exist. They're focused on integrating Arrows/ Arrows Academy into the existing provincial high performance structure.

They should be able to multi task.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, themainbrace said:

Just seen the news now and I have to say I'm very excited about this, with the expected announcement about New York due soon it looks like the RFL are indeed very open to expansion.  I just hope that Superleague are onboard with this.  

With the possibility of more applications coming in as well the whole game need to have a strategy on how to handle overseas expansion.  Is it as simple as just adding new teams to League 1?  Is one approach suitable when you have such different approaches from the likes of Toronto compared to Valencia?

I think the issue the RFL could have is you have 3 teams in North America 2 in France and Spain plus the rest in the Uk thats really spread out and you need to come up with a plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Bless, and the 'player pool' gets even smaller now. Well done Planet Earth RFL.

In fact there will be 20 plus more jobs opening up any true fan should be very happy.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Toronto’s mission statement is to put rugby balls in kids’ hands. Unfortunately there is scant evidence of them attempting to do that.

What exactly do you want them to do, force their way into schools knock all of the hockey sticks and basketballs out of the kids hands and force them all to take a Steeden.

It's simply not that easy, and it's going to take some time before they're in a place where things can really start moving.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

By now I might have hoped for some collaboration with union clubs to offer summer rugby league to encourage participation in RL, a partnership with Canada Rugby League to identify and develop talent, school visits, perhaps a touch RL ‘little league’. Maybe they have done some of that but I haven’t seen anything.

I realise it’s difficult with their playing & coaching personnel based in England but they don’t appear to be sowing any seeds in their ‘hometown’.

Until they do they lay themselves open to accusation that the Wolfpack is Canadian in name only and has no intention of expanding the geographical playing base of rugby league. Some may find that acceptable but my belief is that expansion without that geographical spread isn’t true expansion.

Ultimately Toronto not having the squad depth that comes from having home-grown talent will continue to put them at a disadvantage. They must know this, so why aren’t they taking those first baby steps?

Firstly, why the hell do you think that RU would help them. There'd be nothing in it for RU.

And how could they possibly identify and develop talent in partnership with the Canadian RL when there're no junior competitions for the talent to come from! 

Seriously, are they going to get it from Canadian Rugby League competitions, because, (with all due respect to our Canadian friends, I'm honestly not knocking them, just being realistic) but their competitions are amateur park footy competitions. Maybe there are some diamonds in there (it does happen from time to time), but if there was anybody that looked like they had the potential to become a professional sportsman playing amongst them then they almost certainly would have been picked up by another sport before they got to the point of playing amateur park RL.

Maybe they could siphon some talent off of other sports, but to get people worth having that are young enough would be very expensive, and once they get this talent where exactly are they going to develop it? 

Not only are there not any development competitions in Canada, but there probably aren't even enough clubs with the resources necessary to form one. So even if they could source talent out of thin air, it wouldn't do them much good because they have none of the infrastructure or tools necessary to develop that talent into professionals, and you can't just build or buy that infrastructure overnight. It's going to take years just to develop that infrastructure. 

Why is this so hard for some people to understand, I mean Jesus mate, they are starting from nothing, literally building up from the dirt.

They can't just go down to the local juniors carnival, scout a bunch of talent, and then feed that into a development system, because unlike in Australian and England, no local juniors clubs exist to hold a carnival and there's no system for them to go into. 

They are literally starting at the point of trying to finding volunteers willing to put in the time and effort to try to find enough interest to start clubs, and that's going to take time, there's really no way to rush it, and it'll be years before any club that does form are at a point where there's enough interest to start regularly producing talent.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

In fact there will be 20 plus more jobs opening up any true fan should be very happy.

It is strange that some see having more professional opportunities, is actually bad for the aspiring youth players of North England.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s not a relocation of a club. They’ve bought Hemel’s L1 licence but Hemel are carrying on exactly as they were before, just without a licence to play in L1 which they don’t use any more anyway. 

They bought Hemel Stags RLFC Ltd, Which doesn't  have a L1 Licence but which does have an RFL Membership. They 1st got dispensation to not compete & then eventually permission to relocate & finally the go ahead to re-enter for 2021. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...