Jayme2020

Ottawa Aces (Merged Threads)

6 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Yes it does seem quite amusing Toronto will become Ottawa’s feeder club.

I’m sure @scotchy1 will put me right on that one.

What's that got to do with my post? Don't bring me into some BS argument you've got going on with someone else.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

3 hours ago, Jayme2020 said:

If you have enough players in Ontario then a league would have to be created which Rugby Ontario should be looking at now.

why on earth would they be getting involved?? They run union ffs.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

2 hours ago, ojx said:

I do remember Perez talking (recently) of not being in a rush to get to SL, and wanting to be different from TWP by developing Canadians. Now, it is another 5 year plan, and get out of League 1 quick so New York can do it the following year.

Ottawa can afford to take their time now that Toronto's done the hard work. Hopefully they can work together to start growing the game here. Get a feeder team in each city, New teams in places between the cities like Kingston, Peterborough/Kawarthas, Belleville, Markham... RU hotbeds all but the prospect of playing pro at a decent wage will interest a lot of young lads. MLR pays diddly-squat.

Toronto was a big leap but I think a second Canadian team will be a multiplier. 

They will be bigger than the sum of their parts.

• Like 4

new rise.jpg

9 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Has Perez spending time in Manchester led to the name 'Aces'?  Belle Vue Aces speedway team are the original Ace's starting in 1928 and running continually at 3 venues less than a mile apart since then.

yes, that is probably it. They are named after a speedway team in Manchester no doubt.

• Haha 1

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Im not a huge fan of the Aces logo, the overly classic style hurts my eyes (OK I was bored at work), so I mocked these up.

ORL.png

• Like 1

This is no doubt great news and a positive for our game. Some people are moaning about it but I do not see a reason why.

This is what we want for our sport.

For rl to be played in new cities and locations.

We want more people to become fans.

We want more people to invest their money.

We want more sponsors who haven't previously invested in the sport to do so.

We want our teams playing out of first class facilities and stadiums.

We want our clubs to be financially stable.

This is what has been delivered today with the announcement of the Ottawa Aces. Let's celebrate it and the positives they bring.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Sadly there are many here who would disagree with you.

I am not one of them. I agree with everything you said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Quebec Aces were a hockey team from 1928 until 1971. They were formed by the Anglo-Canadian Pulp and Paper Co. - the name comes from Anglo-Canadian Employees.

They are most famous for employing Jean Beliveau in the early '50s. A shy kid from rural Quebec Beliveau did not relish the idea of moving to Montreal and refused to sign a professional contract with the Canadiens who held his pro rights.

The Canadiens wanted him so badly that they eventually bought the entire league and turned it and all the players in it pro. Under his contract Beliveau, if he turned pro, had no choice but to report to Montreal if he wanted to continue to play hockey.

Like it or not, Beliveau had become a pro hockey player and went to Montreal where he not only became a Hall-of-Famer but is generally considered one of the top 10 players of all time and was so respected throughout Canada that he was seriously considered for Governor-General.

That is the history of the Aces in Canada. And yeah, I think it's a stupid name that has no connection to Ottawa and its history. Although Motorhead's Ace of Spades gives them some cool intro music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

Sadly there are many here who would disagree with you.

I am not one of them. I agree with everything you said.

Can you tell me a bit more about Canadian cities and sport? ie how does Ottawa and other cities compare to Toronto?

For example, I believe in the US it's New York, Los Angeles and then daylight. Is it similar in Canada?

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

The Quebec Aces were a hockey team from 1928 until 1971. They were formed by the Anglo-Canadian Pulp and Paper Co. - the name comes from Anglo-Canadian Employees.

They are most famous for employing Jean Beliveau in the early '50s. A shy kid from rural Quebec Beliveau did not relish the idea of moving to Montreal and refused to sign a professional contract with the Canadiens who held his pro rights.

The Canadiens wanted him so badly that they eventually bought the entire league and turned it and all the players in it pro. Under his contract Beliveau, if he turned pro, had no choice but to report to Montreal if he wanted to continue to play hockey.

Like it or not, Beliveau had become a pro hockey player and went to Montreal where he not only became a Hall-of-Famer but is generally considered one of the top 10 players of all time and was so respected throughout Canada that he was seriously considered for Governor-General.

That is the history of the Aces in Canada. And yeah, I think it's a stupid name that has no connection to Ottawa and its history. Although Motorhead's Ace of Spades gives them some cool intro music.

Great story, I totally ignored this. Beliveau's favourite dep* was also mine near my office and his residence in Longueuil. You could see the admiration and respect of locals when they had a chance to line up with him at the cashier. But I don't think a lot of Montrealers would remember that Quebec As story. Yet maybe it's another sign that Ottawa Aces wants to add a French touch to test the Quebec market.

XIII in the logo, a French coach (maybe), bilingual tweets and website. Quebec media are already translating the RFL and League One terms, something Toulouse and Catalans don't bother to do.

I can see the Aces taking a game to Montreal as soon as the first season... if they find a compliant stadium.

Dep = dépanneur =  convenient store in both Quebec French and Quebec English

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Omott91 said:

Interesting, just read that New York are expected to hold a press conference on this Tuesday. The big news keeps coming.

Can't post the link but it's reported in The Globe and Mail Ottawa Aces article. 

New York are staging a press conference in Liverpool (no idea why it's there) to announce their entry into the 2021 Challenge Cup, with various exhibition matches being staged as well, with a view to entering L1 in 2022. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Perez doing one on one interviews, so hopefully more will come out from British journalists who know rugby league and what questions to ask. 

Are you ever enthusiastic about anything?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

Can you tell me a bit more about Canadian cities and sport? ie how does Ottawa and other cities compare to Toronto?

For example, I believe in the US it's New York, Los Angeles and then daylight. Is it similar in Canada?

Toronto on top because they have a team in every major sports, then probably Vancouver 2nd (hockey, football, soccer, minor baseball, lacrosse), Montreal 3rd (hockey, football, soccer) 

then several cities tied, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg, all because of their NHL team.

2 cities have a pro football team but no pro hockey, Hamilton and Regina.

Quebec city has no pro sport at the moment, except an independent league baseball team. University and junior hockey have a big following in cities without pro or major sport, comparable to pro sport attendance and tv ratings to some extent.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Not sure Ottawa are based in Canada. Sounds similar to Toronto. Training in England, English players, ‘gridiron converts’, maybe a token Canadian or two at best. It was said Ottawa were to be more focused on local development but they’ve already changed their tune.

From what I was told was that Perez's biggest criticism of the wolfpack was them not being based in Canada but lets just see how this pans out. 

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

Yes it does seem quite amusing Toronto will become Ottawa’s feeder club.

I’m sure @scotchy1 will put me right on that one.

What is this gibberish?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, frank said:

Are you ever enthusiastic about anything?

Crowd counting seems to float his boat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Omott91 said:

This is no doubt great news and a positive for our game. Some people are moaning about it but I do not see a reason why.

This is what we want for our sport.

For rl to be played in new cities and locations.

We want more people to become fans.

We want more people to invest their money.

We want more sponsors who haven't previously invested in the sport to do so.

We want our teams playing out of first class facilities and stadiums.

We want our clubs to be financially stable.

This is what has been delivered today with the announcement of the Ottawa Aces. Let's celebrate it and the positives they bring.

I wholeheartedly agree. The trouble is too many are shortsighted and don't want anything that may compete with and be stronger than their club.

• Like 5

With 2 Canadian clubs will the Legion of Doom move their monthly meetings to weekly,got a feeling the Leigh Bunker will be a very busy place.

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

All Ottawa Aces home games in Betfred League 1 during the 2021 Season will be streamed live on the Our League app.

I presume that like Toronto they will be footing the bill for this?

I have to say I'm much more excited about Ottawa than I am about New York at the moment. There's a real chance Rugby League could be quite a force in the Canadian Sports market in a few years time. Even if New York were in Super League I think they'd still be pretty much unheard of to most who don't follow them. Obviously in an ideal world Rugby League will take off all across North America but two or three decent teams in Canada would really start getting into the nations sporting culture.

• Like 3