Jayme2020

Ottawa Aces (Merged Threads)

1 hour ago, TheReaper said:

I have a hard time seeing much success because it's such a niche, and I don't know if there are enough people to fill that niche. 

Mainstream sports fans have the NHL and CFL teams.

CFL fills that "summer contact sport" niche. The RB's are also fairly new and relatively successful. No comparison to the Argos, they're known for bringing in the young hip party crowd that Argos can't figure out and that the Wolfpack scooped up. Perhaps there will be some crossover in April-May before CFL gets going?

Ottawa had the Fury for the not-so-mainstream, European leaning crowd, playing in the USL (I think?) and getting 3-5k in attendance. Now they've been replaced by Atletico Ottawa in the CPL, which should bring back all the casual soccer fans, increase fans from people who are interested in playing against other Canadian cities, and increase fans who are really into the European aspect. Same stadium, more familiar sport. Same time of year.

So what's left are:

Actual rugby fans, and I imagine there's a split of those who don't care what kind of rugby it is and will attend, and those who will give league a pass. Now that Toronto has had both types of pro rugby for a couple years I can't see anybody in the Ontario rugby community falling into the old "nobody knows there's 2 kinds of rugby" camp. I bet a lot of the "rugby" people who are into attending live pro sports are already RedBlacks fans.

People who are already either RB's or soccer fans who crave more summer live sports, but the other sport (of CFL or soccer) doesn't appeal. Football fans who want more sports but look down on soccer, or soccer fans who want more sports but look down on football.

And lastly, people who aren't into any of the above sports, but something about RL is going to get them into it. No idea how big that market is. And I haven't even touched on the effects of the new basketball team, or any minor league baseball, since I know nothing about those.

Playing at TD Place is somewhat of a double-edged sword. It's obviously a net benefit, it's the only professional quality stadium available and gives some immediate legitimacy. But, for anyone who just wants to "go to a game and have some beers" without caring too much what the game is, they can already do that, at likely fuller games with more atmosphere. Ticket prices may play a factor to this crowd, but not too much if you're there to drink $9 beers all night.

I keep coming back to thinking, if Fury soccer, a well known but semi-non-mainstream sport, in a minor league, could only get 5k average attendance at best, I fail to see how rugby league, a not-known-at-all sport, in a minor league from another continent, will manage to get close to that. Of course, in a RL context, if they can sustain a 3k average that's an unqualified success, but that's nowhere near enough to cover the costs of playing in an English league against teams that can't/won't pay their own way here. It wouldn't even cover their own travel.

how has the Ottawa rugby(union) community reacted to the aces so far?

As for the new basketball teams put it this way they have sold more season tickets then any other team and from all reports season ticket sales for the new soccer team are doing fine.

3 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

how has the Ottawa rugby(union) community reacted to the aces so far?

No idea really, I'm in Hamilton. I follow CFL and CPL pretty closely, and dated a girl in Ottawa for a while, so I know the lay of the land but no rugby connections. Their branch union (EORU) plays with Quebec and not the rest of Ontario. 

5 hours ago, Jayme2020 said:

As for the new basketball teams put it this way they have sold more season tickets then any other team and from all reports season ticket sales for the new soccer team are doing fine.

Sorry I’m lost, forgive me. Are those season tickets now void?

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

Sorry I’m lost, forgive me.

What can you currently see, maybe we can all give some directions to help you?  

Marco.

Polo

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, TheReaper said:

No idea really, I'm in Hamilton. I follow CFL and CPL pretty closely, and dated a girl in Ottawa for a while, so I know the lay of the land but no rugby connections. Their branch union (EORU) plays with Quebec and not the rest of Ontario. 

Love Hamilton Tiger Cats saw them play the Argos once in Toronto in a box with John Candy and Wayne Gretsky (My business partner at the time who was American knew the CEO of the CFL)  at the Skydome  Rocket Ismail had just joined the Argos fantastic night around 1991 brilliant memories:)

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Love Hamilton Tiger Cats saw them play the Argos once in Toronto in a box with John Candy and Wayne Gretsky (My business partner at the time who was American knew the CEO of the CFL)  at the Skydome  Rocket Ismail had just joined the Argos fantastic night around 1991 brilliant memories:)

Paul

That would have been quite the experience!  Bit before I was born though 😉

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Paul

I have fond memories of Rocket. 

5 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Paul

The highlight of recent Argo history. It's all been steadily downhill to their current state of sporting irrelevance ever since.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

The highlight of recent Argo history. It's all been steadily downhill to their current state of sporting irrelevance ever since.

They're a minor league team in a city full of major league teams, no wonder they've become irrelevant there.

On 24/04/2020 at 03:57, Jayme2020 said:

The  Aces plan on holding try outs this fall in Ottawa.

Do you guys out east think this is feasible? In fact will Ottawa be ready to start the 2021 season? The reason I ask is that I have 2 sons who are OUA athletes (one football, one rugby union), and currently there is a lot of speculation as to whether there will even be a season this fall. Here in BC we are being told by eminent physicians that there is little chance of any professional or university sport this fall, with the new year being the most likely resumption date. If that is true then I can’t see any way that Ottawa can even get a squad together in time for the 2021 season, let alone run a camp for potential players, who by definition will require much more coaching time devoted to them.

41 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Do you guys out east think this is feasible? In fact will Ottawa be ready to start the 2021 season? The reason I ask is that I have 2 sons who are OUA athletes (one football, one rugby union), and currently there is a lot of speculation as to whether there will even be a season this fall. Here in BC we are being told by eminent physicians that there is little chance of any professional or university sport this fall, with the new year being the most likely resumption date. If that is true then I can’t see any way that Ottawa can even get a squad together in time for the 2021 season, let alone run a camp for potential players, who by definition will require much more coaching time devoted to them.

Ontario is going to be laying the ground work for the economy to re open next week now as for sports many think pro sports will start up soon but with no fans.

48 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

Ontario is going to be laying the ground work for the economy to re open next week now as for sports many think pro sports will start up soon but with no fans.

Interesting, here in BC our public health officer has said she wants to see a period of time with zero new cases before we can even discuss restarting sports, the general feeling out here is no sports this year, guess it’s a good job there’s not a Vancouver team being planned anytime soon.

48 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

I take it “fall” is September in Canada?

3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I take it “fall” is September in Canada?

Generally we think fall to be once the Labour Day holiday has gone and kids are back to school, so early September, however in Vancouver our September’s are summer like when it comes to weather, often way better than June (often nicknamed “Juneuary” by locals), in fact usually the best month to visit Western Canada, kids in school, no tourists, settled weather, just pack a sweater for the evening. There’s even more chance to view wildlife!

• Like 1

Back to the topic though, serious question, Ottawa needs a coach, players, support staff, the 2021 League One season starts what, late Feb, given the current restrictions and worldwide travel bans is there a danger that Ottawa has to defer entry to 2022?

1 hour ago, Oldbear said:

Back to the topic though, serious question, Ottawa needs a coach, players, support staff, the 2021 League One season starts what, late Feb, given the current restrictions and worldwide travel bans is there a danger that Ottawa has to defer entry to 2022?

Doubt it if that were to happen the TWP would not be playing in 2021.

1 hour ago, Oldbear said:

Interesting, here in BC our public health officer has said she wants to see a period of time with zero new cases before we can even discuss restarting sports, the general feeling out here is no sports this year, guess it’s a good job there’s not a Vancouver team being planned anytime soon.

If she is being honest and has support form that that could question the future of all pro sports in BC.

6 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

If she is being honest and has support form that that could question the future of all pro sports in BC.

Yes but September could be a different scenario.

9 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

Doubt it if that were to happen the TWP would not be playing in 2021.

One thing TWP have over Ottawa though is that they have all their infrastructure in place, including a team based in the UK. Ottawa currently only have a name, they have still to recruit all that infrastructure and not that much time to do it, how long did TWP have to prepare for their inaugural L1 season

Just now, Oldbear said:

One thing TWP have over Ottawa though is that they have all their infrastructure in place, including a team based in the UK. Ottawa currently only have a name, they have still to recruit all that infrastructure and not that much time to do it, how long did TWP have to prepare for their inaugural L1 season

They have no infrastructure to compete in SL. That’s already been proven. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Yes but September could be a different scenario.

Hopefully, partly because we all want sport to resume, but also because that would mean we are getting over this pandemic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

They have no infrastructure to compete in SL. That’s already been proven. 

True, I meant in terms of actually having a team, and coaching staff, even if it might be not a good one, Ottawa on the other hand currently has Eric Perez, but little else to show for now.

6 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

True, I meant in terms of actually having a team, and coaching staff, even if it might be not a good one, Ottawa on the other hand currently has Eric Perez, but little else to show for now.

He hopefully has the reins this time with everyone on the same wavelength. 

Something he wanted for TWP. 

Their loss..

Go Aces...

Edited by SL17
  • Like 1