Owen Farrell back?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Can you think of any Union players who switched to League after the age of 15 who turned out to be any good?

Well there's Billy Boston, he was pretty good.  Lewis Jones, he toured Australia with the RL Lions.  Trevor Foster, a Bradford stalwart both on and off the field, David Watkins did ok.  I'm sure there are a few more. Apart from Jiffy.  

Ok so it's  a joke.  But  assume Saracens did want to get him of their books for a bit, wouldn't  a loan to RL be their ideal solution?  He could possibly play a season of RL and if he was good enough perhaps play in the 2021 WC side.  Wouldn't RU love that?   We've never really replaced Sinfield who IMO was the greatest player of his era (and no I'm not a Leeds fan)   When Sinfield clicked England clicked.  Perhaps Farrell could be the man?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Can you think of any Union players who switched to League after the age of 15 who turned out to be any good?

Martin Offiah.

Brian Carney.

Ricky Stuart.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

I've just been on the Challenge cup thread championing our memories and feel good factors and then I came on here to discover the mind playing tricks. So it goes ....

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 04/04/2020 at 11:39, CiderWire said:

Lots of positive and negative hypotheticals here. Truth is we'll  never, ever know.......but it's an intetesting subject to 'kick around' a bit. 

Just by way of comparison we could look at Burrell at Wire - an international standard union player who played League in his yoof. I think it's fair to say that, thus far, the transition is not going as well as anticipated. Just sayin'.

Keep safe all

Thanks, CW.  I hope you and yours are keeping safe too.

I note in your brief profile that you seem to be a fan of Blanquette de Limoux.  This is a new drink to me, but I have found an English seller online (that said, I'm not sure whether they are currently supplying)  Is it usually as fizzy as champagne, or is it a more subdued fizziness (if that isn't an oxymoron!)?  I am not a fan of many sparkling wines, but thought Blanquette de Limoux might merit a try - something a bit different in these troubled times.

On 4 April 2020 at 17:13, Dunbar said:

Off the top of my head

Allan Bateman

John Devereux

Ray Price

Frano Botica

Craig Innes

Matthew Ridge

Vunivalu

Kikau

Semi Radradra

On 04/04/2020 at 12:13, Dunbar said:

errrr....

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 16:53, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Some of you let your hatred of the other code blind your judgement. Sad really. 

On the contrary, there are plenty of union player who would go well in league - Farrell isn't one of them

Pace - very average

Running game - Average

Passing - average

Defence - Average

His only real attribute is his kicking

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

On the contrary, there are plenty of union player who would go well in league - Farrell isn't one of them

Pace - very average

Running game - Average

Passing - average

Defence - Average

He’s a loose forward playing union. In a parallel universe he might have taken over from uncle Lockers in the England team. 

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Pace - very average

Running game - Average

Passing - average

Defence - Average

Weird then that this is the 4th thread in the past 6 months that has been set up on an RL dedicated forum for what you would have us believe is such a bang average RU player and potentially terrible league player.......

Do you actually watch him play union - genuine question? He's regarded as one of the best defensive backs in the game and for your other 'average' comments I'm not going to try and convince you of them as you've clearly already made your mind up, but yeah save to say I disagree. One genuine area I'd except he'd need to work on if he ever did (he won't) come to league, would be his short kicking game. It's not a huge part of RU and when it is needed he's rarely been given the responsibility to do that for England, in the time he's played alongside George Ford. Maybe he's more of a loose forward in league and at 6'2 and 15 and half stone he's definitely the right size for it. 

On 05/04/2020 at 19:17, Davo5 said:

Off the top of my head

Allan Bateman

John Devereux

Ray Price

Frano Botica

Craig Innes

Matthew Ridge

Vunivalu

Kikau

Semi Radradra

And that are a tiny selection.  Do people not remember the documentary about Welsh players who went North.  Codebreakers (?)  

Frankly it was eye opening. Maybe not even just Welsh, but it was made by BBC Wales I think.

So Rugby players can play League. But what we also have to remember is that modern League is not the same game it was in 70s 80s 90s and even later.  The game has gone too fast.

And... the article was April Fool of course, but a good opportunity to look back.

15 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

He’s a loose forward playing union. In a parallel universe he might have taken over from uncle Lockers in the England team. 

He has a good high tackle ? ?

15 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Pace - very average

Running game - Average

Passing - average

Defence - Average

Disagree about his defence but agree with others

He would be a waste of time unless he was being paid for a win/loss per game.

I know I will get smashed on here but I never rated his old man against top opposition.

Doesn't he have the worst win loss record of any Great Britain Captain in History?

The GB teams he played in has a 33% success rate.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, Allora said:

He would be a waste of time unless he was being paid for a win/loss per game.

I know I will get smashed on here but I never rated his old man against top opposition.

Doesn't he have the worst win loss record of any Great Britain Captain in History?

The GB teams he played in has a 33% success rate.

Exactly the same as Dally Messengers for Australia against England better get him out of the immortals 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/04/2020 at 14:08, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks, CW.  I hope you and yours are keeping safe too.

I note in your brief profile that you seem to be a fan of Blanquette de Limoux.  This is a new drink to me, but I have found an English seller online (that said, I'm not sure whether they are currently supplying)  Is it usually as fizzy as champagne, or is it a more subdued fizziness (if that isn't an oxymoron!)?  I am not a fan of many sparkling wines, but thought Blanquette de Limoux might merit a try - something a bit different in these troubled times.

I believe, via the step-daughter, that Tesco are selling it nowadays.

Living just South of Limoux means we are spoilt for choice but our favourite is a local domaine - Salasar, in Campagne sur Aude. Their Blanquets are lovely and there is a wide variety of choice, dry, semi, sweet etc. They also do a very similar wine called a Cremont, which has smaller, more refined bubbles. Our particular favourite is called L'Excellance and is about 11€ a bottle. It's as good as any champagne - bearing in mind it was a certain Dom Perignon who started the whole thing off down here in the 16th C.

You need to come over and enjoy the thrill of the chase to find one that suits you best. ???

On 06/04/2020 at 07:36, Saint Toppy said:

Pace - very average

Running game - Average

Passing - average

Defence - Average

And a heart of a lion

On 03/04/2020 at 17:32, Dunbar said:

If I had to choose between Owen Farrell after a season of Rugby League and any of the other options we have to play at 6 for England in the 2021 World Cup.

I would choose Farrell.

How can you judge someone you have never seen perform at that sport?

RL is littered with 'high' profile union player's good judges thought would make it because they had the right attributes but turned out to be absolute flops, I can name quite a few.

So in a season you judge he would be better than Trueman, Harry Smith, Jake Shorrocks all still learning but with a head start on Farrell, Lomax, Jake Connor who has proved himself and prefers No 6, Sneed who can guide a team around the field, Ratchford, and even though and it would pain me to select him for personal reasons Blake Austin.

It's a brave call you make Dunbar, and I would wonder which club would take a chance on him, even in the Championship if we were under normal proceedings I wouldn't gamble on him as a straight swop for our present 6 Ben Reynolds incidentally a lad I was glad to see the back off when he left and rued the announcement when he was announced as returning, but he has been outstanding the club's best player by far and the reason we are unbeaten in the league and apart from his general play I think he has a conversion goal kicking percentage of over 90% from quite a number of attempts and a lot of the touchline, could Farrell return better? 

Archived