Sam Tomkins

Tommy Makinson, Herbie Farnworth, Zac Hardaker, Tom Davies,

Jonny Lomax

George Williams

Ryan Sutton,

John Bateman, Elliot Whitehead,

Tom Burgess, Josh Hodgson, Luke Thompson 

Interchange. Darryl Clark, Alex Walmsley, Liam Watts, Mike McMeeken

This is a team that can beat everyone other than Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, and Fiji.

I would go one step further.

This is a team that is definitely capable of making the quarter finals.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/04/2021 at 18:53, Manfred Mann said:

Sam Tomkins

Tommy Makinson, Herbie Farnworth, Zac Hardaker, Tom Davies,

Jonny Lomax

George Williams

Ryan Sutton,

John Bateman, Elliot Whitehead,

Tom Burgess, Josh Hodgson, Luke Thompson 

Interchange. Darryl Clark, Alex Walmsley, Liam Watts, Mike McMeeken

This is a team that can beat everyone other than Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, and Fiji.

Put in Gale for Lomax, Roby for Hodgson and Percivil for Farnworth and that team could win it.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

I see Josh Hodgson’s finally been rumbled as a vastly overrated ball hog. I’m hoping Wane doesn’t pick him. 

I’m 99% certain that Wane will pick McShane if fit. He’s definitely his type of player. 

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Put in Gale for Lomax, Roby for Hodgson and Percivil [sic] for Farnworth and that team could win it.

Wane would have be out of his mind to select the weak defender Percival ahead of the strong defender and dangerous tall and evasive attacker Herbie Farnworth. Wane isn't out of his mind.

James Roby is now on the verge of retirement. He will not get the nod ahead of Hodgson, especially since Hodgson has a great and potent combination at Canberra with Wane's choice of half back George Williams, as well as lots of experience playing with Whitehead, Sutton and Bateman.

Lomax has had considerable experience at international level and has done well. Gale hasn't.

I know the thread title says if we are picking the team now... but I will go with a team hoping that everyone is fit, healthy and in-form at the end of the year.

1. Sam Tomkins

2. Tommy Makinson

3. Harry Newman

4. Herbie Farnworth

5. Tom Johnstone

6. Jonny Lomax

7. George Williams

8. Tom Burgess

9. Daryl Clark

10. Luke Thompson

11. John Bateman

12. Elliot Whitehead

13. Morgan Knowles

14. Alex Walmsley

15. Ryan Sutton

16. Mikolaj Oledzki

17. Paul McShane

I have gone for Tomkins, Lomax and Williams as the creative spine simply because they are the best we have in my opinion.  Luke Gale would be the next in line.

The outside backs is all about athleticism.  Farnworth and Newman are strong and fast.  I would then have Toby King and Jake Wardle in the mix for centre.  Makinson and Johnstone are the best of the wingers with Manfredi as an option. 

At 9, Hodgson is nowhere near my team as I want speed and clean distribution from dummy half.  I would be happy for Roby but I think it may be time to commit to Clark.

The back row kind of picks itself (second row) and I like Morgan at 13 as he is tough but also mobile.

I have gone with 5 big men... 2 to start and 3 off the bench... Thompson, Sutton and Oledzki have good engines while Burgess and Walmsley are our big boppers to match the SH nations physically.

Finally, Paul McShane is my utility as he can cover dummy half and also the half backs if we need to reshuffle.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

51 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Wane would have be out of his mind to select the weak defender Percival ahead of the strong defender and dangerous tall and evasive attacker Herbie Farnworth. Wane isn't out of his mind.

James Roby is now on the verge of retirement. He will not get the nod ahead of Hodgson, especially since Hodgson has a great and potent combination at Canberra with Wane's choice of half back George Williams, as well as lots of experience playing with Whitehead, Sutton and Bateman.

Lomax has had considerable experience at international level and has done well. Gale hasn't.

You seem to have completely missed the criticism of Hodgson stifling the the play of Williams and Wighton at Canberra. Roby on the verge of retirement is still a far better player than Hodgson has ever been.

When has Lomax done well at international level? He has been average at best in every game. He shows no threat at all at that level.

On 21/08/2020 at 17:18, DavidM said:

I think there’s a lot of consensus in general . What about a bolter into the squad 12 months from now ? 

Theres only Roby that age is catching up with so why would anyones change in 12 months?

Just for example whos in contention now that wasnt 12 months ago

34 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Theres only Roby that age is catching up with so why would anyones change in 12 months?

Just for example whos in contention now that wasnt 12 months ago

Why would anyone’s what ?

The comments about Hodgson Down Under are what plenty over here have been saying about him for a few years based on his England form. I'd have him nowhere near the squad tbh and would pick 4 or 5 in front of him. 

Picking a side now is difficult as things can and will change but players you'd have to find a place for based on their starts would be Tomkins and Hardaker. I'd struggle fitting Connor in a 17 as well but there no doubt he gets in the squad and he may well make the team. Tom Burgess, Liam Farrell, Ryan Sutton, Toby King and Paul McShane have all had really strong starts, as have a number of other players and it's really positive that you're having to leave players out than struggling to find ones to put in. 

I'd probably go

Tomkins

Makinson Hardaker Farnworth  Johnstone

Lomax Williams

T Burgess Roby Walmsley

Bateman Farrell Thompson

Subs

Sutton Oledzki Whitehead Clark

4 hours ago, Damien said:

When has Lomax done well at international level? He has been average at best in every game. He shows no threat at all at that level.

When has he been picked in his actual position of stand-off instead of being a fill in at FB ?

Crappy coaching & positional selections have limited his ability to show what he can actually do at international level. Boring Bennett & McBanana had no idea how to get the best out of him.

He's been the form 6 in SL for the last few years and has started 2021 in similar form.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

4 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Hodgson can still only dream of being half the player, even of a 35Yr old Roby !

For an old man allegedly on the verge of retirement he managed a sum total of just 5 missed tackles in the entire 2020 season. Hodgson misses that many in 1 game !!! 

I don't watch as much NRL as I used to. I have only seen Farnworth play a couple of times.

So can someone who has seen him regularly answer this question. Is he all that, or is this another case of people automatically believing everything NRL is better than SL?

Genuine question because I really don't know much about the kid.

5 minutes ago, MZH said:

I don't watch as much NRL as I used to. I have only seen Farnworth play a couple of times.

So can someone who has seen him regularly answer this question. Is he all that, or is this another case of people automatically believing everything NRL is better than SL?

Here is my take on Farnworth.

On the plus side, he is very athletic.  6 foot 3 and almost 17 stone and a couple of weeks ago the Telstra tracking system says he hit a top speed that would have made him the fastest man in the NRL in 2020.

He works hard with the ball and seems solid in defence.

However.  With the Broncos being at the lower end of the table, he hasn't had a massive number of opportunities to shine in attack... he seems to have good footwork but he is yet to light up the comp.

I would say his main strength by far would be the size and athleticism he brings to the centre, a position we have not had a lot of those qualities in and even the most established Super League centres like Gildart and Percival are not big men.  I expect some very big, athletic units to be in the SH teams and he will benefit us there.

If he carries good form through the year, I would have Farnworth in the World Cup squad no doubt and probably in the side (as I have posted above). 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, MZH said:

He's got potential (like so many other young players) but hasn't proved anything as yet. The Bronco's are a poor team so he's got an opportunity to really shine, but so far i'd say he's been OK, nothing more. Shown a few glimpses of what he's capable of in a few games but hasn't been a dominant figure in any, and is still prone to plenty of mistakes (as you expect with any young, inexperienced player).

Would I have him in the squad ? - yes as it would be good to see if he develops further. Would I have him in the team at the moment - absolutely not. He's only just about a first team player and has an awful lot still to learn, he's far from ready for an international place at the moment.   

Don't get drawn in by Manfred's drooling over all things NRL

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

He's got potential (like so many other young players) but hasn't proved anything as yet. The Bronco's are a poor team so he's got an opportunity to really shine, but so far i'd say he's been OK, nothing more. Shown a few glimpses of what he's capable of in a few games but hasn't been a dominant figure in any, and is still prone to plenty of mistakes (as you expect with any young, inexperienced player).

Would I have him in the squad ? - yes as it would be good to see if he develops further. Would I have him in the team at the moment - absolutely not. He's only just about a first team player and has an awful lot still to learn, he's far from ready for an international place at the moment.   

Just a couple of points to pick up on here.  I really don't think playing in a poor team is an opportunity to shine, particularly for an outside back who would benefit from his middles and halves presenting him with good attacking position and quality ball.  Farnworth has had none of his so is hardly able to shine.  Trudging back to watch the opposition convert try after try is hardly a chance to impress for an outside back.

Without any quality attacking opportunities he has at least got involved.  He has carried the ball (mostly away from his own line) for 142 metres a game... 26th in the NRL overall and at the top of the list for the centres.  In this Broncos team at the moment, that is all we can ask.

Also, I don't think he makes 'plenty' of mistakes. Not more than many other players (and a hell of a lot less than some of his team mates).

3 hours ago, MZH said:

I see plenty of reasons why I would give him one of the spots, in particular the fact that he is a real athlete at nearly 17 stone and 6' 3" and quick with it. Physically he is a lot more imposing than some of the other contenders, like Gildart or Percival, and that is something we are often lacking in the centres compared to the Southern hemisphere teams. He is also used to facing, and defending against, a much better calibre of centre in the NRL than we get in Super League.

I hate players from the NRL being an automatic pick but Farnworth is different for me. I wasn’t sure how good he was coming in to this season but I thought he was brilliant in the first couple of games for Brisbane. So strong carrying the ball but he’s also got a good pair of hands on him. I thought he was Brisbane’s best player in the opening couple of weeks. There are a lot of options open to Shaun Wane but not many bring that size and athleticism. 

7 hours ago, MZH said:

For me, the additional points we credit Englanders in the NRL come from the opposition they face - the very players they would face in a WC. Look at this week's Melbourne Storm team and, even with Papenhuyzen out, there are probably 12 players who will be in the WC for AUS, NZ, PNG and Fiji. Anyone who has performed regularly against players of that calibre will always get bonus points (in the eyes of selectors) over some bloke who had a good game against Wakey.

11 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Oh don't worry, I pay very little attention to his rubbish anyway. I was asking because a lot of people are now putting him in their side. I wondered if this was justified or of its a case of him just being picked because he's in the NRL, so thanks for the insight.

I have seen enough of him to know he's an impressive athlete and an imposing figure. That in itself is a valuable asset for the England team because we don't have much size across the backline. However he has been pretty much anonymous when I've seen him, although it's not easy to shine as a back when you aren't getting the good ball to work with.

I am interested to see how he develops anyway, I'll try to catch a few more Brisbane games this season if I can.

14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Here is my take on Farnworth.

On the plus side, he is very athletic.  6 foot 3 and almost 17 stone and a couple of weeks ago the Telstra tracking system says he hit a top speed that would have made him the fastest man in the NRL in 2020.

He works hard with the ball and seems solid in defence.

However.  With the Broncos being at the lower end of the table, he hasn't had a massive number of opportunities to shine in attack... he seems to have good footwork but he is yet to light up the comp.

I would say his main strength by far would be the size and athleticism he brings to the centre, a position we have not had a lot of those qualities in and even the most established Super League centres like Gildart and Percival are not big men.  I expect some very big, athletic units to be in the SH teams and he will benefit us there.

If he carries good form through the year, I would have Farnworth in the World Cup squad no doubt and probably in the side (as I have posted above). 

So he's Sam Wood playing in an Australian team then? 

😁

I too know very little about him so insight would be good rather than people listing him purely because he plays in the NRL.

12 hours ago, Damien said:

I see plenty of reasons why I would give him one of the spots, in particular the fact that he is a real athlete at nearly 17 stone and 6' 3" and quick with it. Physically he is a lot more imposing than some of the other contenders, like Gildart or Percival, and that is something we are often lacking in the centres compared to the Southern hemisphere teams. He is also used to facing, and defending against, a much better calibre of centre in the NRL than we get in Super League.

Rarely mentioned is Josh Griffin who is already in the train on squad, has that presence, physical attributes and is playing well.  As much as I like Gildart he struggles with the aerial side of the game (defence or attack).  

Archived