England Team if you were picking it now

OMEGA

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, daz39 said:

Some weird answers, the question asked for England team NOW and yet some people put 'if everyone was fit' ?? eh, if they're not fit they can't be picked - surely?

It was mainly based on form up to now, not like we were playing a Test Match at the weekend

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

Does anyone else rate Cameron Smith at Leeds? From what I've seen of him he looks like a bit of an old school type back rower with good hands and an offload

I do and I’ve suggested him before while he’s also in my OP as a Forward I considered.

He need to get himself fitter, not that he doesn’t have decent fitness levels but he still carries excess weight and to be at the very top of his form he needs to be at another level. He’s certainly got the size, intelligence hands and footwork to make a quality international. If he really believes it then he need to set himself some very tough fitness level goals and smash it.

12 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I do and I’ve suggested him before while he’s also in my OP as a Forward I considered.

He need to get himself fitter, not that he doesn’t have decent fitness levels but he still carries excess weight and to be at the very top of his form he needs to be at another level. He’s certainly got the size, intelligence hands and footwork to make a quality international. If he really believes it then he need to set himself some very tough fitness level goals and smash it.

There's talk of Morgan Knowles and in the future Morgan Smithies but I definitely think Cameron Smith is a candidate for England loose forward. 

28 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

It was mainly based on form up to now, not like we were playing a Test Match at the weekend

So how can a player who isn't fit have from?

And as for bolters - just wait and see which acadrmy graduate plays more than 5 times for Wigan, Saints or Wire - they'll be a shoe in then !!

He wouldn’t be ready right now (although I’m convinced he wouldn’t let anybody down) but in 12 months time I could really see Ethan Havard being a bolter for the squad. The kid already looks like our best prop at Wigan after 11 first team appearances and I’d be hugely surprised if he doesn’t go on to become a full international in the next 2 or 3 years. We’ve produced plenty of good young players these past few years but this lad is probably the best I’ve seen.

As for a side now, I’d go-

Tomkins 

Makinson Hardaker Griffin Johnstone

Lomax Williams

Walmsley Clark Thompson

Bateman Farrell Whitehead

subs

T Burgess Watts  Philbin Widdop

Talking of bolters, Adam O'Brien, again, is on top form and I'd being ignored, he's been man of the match in over half our games.

I know he doesn't play for one of the favoured clubs but If you want a very good back up hooker to put pressure on Roby and Clark, then he's the one.

I've never understood the love in with Josh Hodgson either.

Jake Wardle is the best young centre we've got but doesn't play for Wigan or Saints.

And I've never been convinced by George Williams either.

Jake Connor was all the rage for the last 18 months or so but it seems people have forgotten him already 😃

7 hours ago, OMEGA said:
  1. Tomkins
  2. Makinson
  3. Percival
  4. King
  5. Johnstone
  6. Williams
  7. Lomax
  8. T Burgess
  9. Roby
  10. Watts
  11. Currie
  12. Bateman
  13. Knowles

Subs: Clarke, Whitehead, Walmsley, Thompson

Considered:

BACKS, Trueman, Griffin, Evalds, McGilvery, Gildart, Farnsworth, 

FORWARDS, Hill, Graham, Smith, Lees, McMeekin, Farrell, Bulloch, 

Just a bit of fun speculation while its quiet 

King?! Presume that can only be a joke or a typo

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Ethan Havard is a dead-set bolter for the squad.

1. Tomkins

2. Makinson

3. Gildart

4. Hardaker

5. Farnsworth

6. Lomax

7. Williams

8. Walmsley

9. Clark

10. Watts 

11. Whitehead (C)

12. Bateman

13. Thompson

Bench:

14. T. Burgess

15. Havard 

16. Knowles

17. Currie

Ethan Havard is Bulgarian 

34 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Ethan Havard is Bulgarian 

Yep, spent all of about 6 months there with his English parents before moving back home.

Byrne, Smithies, Holdroyd and Havard will be interesting come WC time. I always liked Marshall as a winger, and would have him in as Manfredi has no luck with injury.

7 hours ago, meast said:

Talking of bolters, Adam O'Brien, again, is on top form and I'd being ignored, he's been man of the match in over half our games.

I know he doesn't play for one of the favoured clubs but If you want a very good back up hooker to put pressure on Roby and Clark, then he's the one.

I've never understood the love in with Josh Hodgson either.

Jake Wardle is the best young centre we've got but doesn't play for Wigan or Saints.

And I've never been convinced by George Williams either.

Jake Connor was all the rage for the last 18 months or so but it seems people have forgotten him already 😃

Are you seriously suggesting Adam O’Brien when we John Hodgson, Daz Clarke and James Roby?

Hodgson has been one of the best hookers in the NRL for the last 5 years.

Jake Wardle may have potential but he lacks size and physical presence at the moment, he’d be thrown around like a rag doll at top level Internationals.

1 Tomkins

2 Makinson

3 Gildart

4 Farnworth

5 McGilvary

6 Lomax

7 Williams

8 T Burgess

9 Hodgson

10 Walmsley 

11 Whitehead

12 Bateman

13 Thompson

14 G Burgess

15 Josh Jones

16 Clark 

17 Widdop 

Squad Ratchford, Johnsone, Percival, Gale, Roby, Oledski, Sutton, Currie, McMeekan, Cam Smith.

I believe Graham is retiring, Hill has been no good for years and Taylor and Watts look alright against rubbish teams but are not good enough to play at the top level. G Burgess has lacked some form but class is permanent form is temporary.

14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I believe Graham is retiring, Hill has been no good for years and Taylor and Watts look alright against rubbish teams but are not good enough to play at the top level. G Burgess has lacked some form but class is permanent form is temporary.

Watts was great against the best side in the comp last week...

I considered George Burgess but he’d need to get fit and less fat first.

Based on who is able to play now:

Tomkins

Makinson, Percival, Gildart, Johnston

Lomax, Williams

Sutton,

Whitehead, Bateman

Walmsley, Roby, T. Burgess

Interchange:  Clark, Thompson, Watts, Currie

Reserves:  Manfredi, Farnworth, Widdop, Knowles, Graham

Based on who could play in  2021 World Cup:

Add Hodgson and move Roby to the bench in place of Clark

Interesting that everyone is picking 2 stand offs.  This bearing in mind Lomax was (I seem to recall) full back at Saints before Barba was signed.

Are scrum halfs defunct now?  Are we now agreed that in the modern game 'halfs' split and each plays one side of the pitch each?

14 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Interesting that everyone is picking 2 stand offs.  This bearing in mind Lomax was (I seem to recall) full back at Saints before Barba was signed.

Are scrum halfs defunct now?  Are we now agreed that in the modern game 'halfs' split and each plays one side of the pitch each?

The Raiders are playing Williams at scrum half. Luke Gale is probably the only other option there.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Are you seriously suggesting Adam O’Brien when we John Hodgson, Daz Clarke and James Roby?

Hodgson has been one of the best hookers in the NRL for the last 5 years.

Jake Wardle may have potential but he lacks size and physical presence at the moment, he’d be thrown around like a rag doll at top level Internationals.

Translated as: 

" Are you seriously suggesting someone who doesn't play in the NRL or one of the Sky cup big boys regardless of how good or well they're playing?

Jake Wardle may have potential but he hasn't come through the academy system of one of the Sky cup big boys so therefore isn't an option!"

16 hours ago, MrPosh said:

Are you trying to be funny or just ruin it for everyone else? 

Ain't you got it Mr Posh, nobody has selected any Leeds player's in their teams thats why Sir Kev resorts to calling people clueless.

Like his namesake even after all the times he was selected the present Leeds players are not good enough for the international arena.

Archived