New Challenge Cup Sponsor

Dave T

Its a shame that its a low rent betting sponsor.  Strong attempts being made to end tv betting sponsorship.  The advertisement attempts by the industry to link betting, really meaning internet betting, with 'enjoyment' is quite unconsciable.

But needs must.    And the TV companies also make money out of it.

39 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm sure there are pros and cons here and it reminds me of the Dacia upgrade type deals (adding England etc) which suggests not huge sums will change hands specifically for the cup. However, Bedfred are very pro-active sponsors and work hard to raise the profile of the game.

Coral's owner Entain have gradually been moving away from their sports (i.e. non-racing) sponsorships - Ladbrokes dropped the Scotish Football Leagues a while back so them stepping aside is no surprise.

Kudos to Fred for continuing to support the game, but there is a big challenge ahead for RL and a few other sports if betting sponsorship does get banned. 

I'm not entirely convinced that it would make much difference to the prevalence of problem gambling in the country, but it is one of those ideas that 'looks good' and the betting industry does a terrible job of defending its own interests in both parliament and public opinion.

4 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Nice to have a sponsor and nice that it’s the same across all three tournaments and Super League. Shame it’s only a year. 

4 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I think sponsorship from betting companies may go the same way as alcohol and tobacco - https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/rugby-league-bosses-to-have-say-in-government-review-of-betting-sponsorship/

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Sponsorship deals are always welcome but a dependency on one sponsor isn't a good sign.

I suspect all 3 of these points may be related, its for 1 year because sponsorship because from gambling company's may be ruled out in future, while the current situation may mean company's tightening their belts making it extremely hard to get new sponsors at present.

Hopefully this has bought enough time to secure someone from next year onwards.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 hour ago, Josef K said:

Why don’t the RFL mention how much the deals are worth. I’d love to know how much the BBC signed their new deal for. 

I think I am right in saying that the BBC, as a publicly funded body, is subject to the Freedom of Information Act.  Why not write and ask them?

Betting will be all over come 2022 (23 latest) alcohol is still OK however general beer sales Carling/Tetley etc are way down so naming rights for them are off the table nowadays.

Only beer brand that still throws big money at sport (Rugby Union) is Guinness + Greene King has a small naming rights sponsorship for the RU Championship.

Some County Cricket clubs continue to do well from brewers Kent Spitfires (Spitfire ale) however there are strong links Jonathan Neeme is a massive Kent CCC supporter.

The odd premium spirit brand can be found taking out perimeter advertising (Mainly new brands nowadays)

Paul

i think the cc should be sponsored by tobacco companies once again- with a 2 free fags sellotaped to the underside of every seat in the final, with a slogan "take one home for the kids"

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Agree with othe comments. While it is good to have a sponsor for the cup, the fact it is an existing relationship means the value is probably at the low end. But any investment is welcome. 

But the duration of the sponsorship makes the success of the World Cup even more critical.  A great tournament will raise the profile and hopefully investment.

This World Cup really feels like a pivotal moment in our sports history.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Nice to have a sponsor and nice that it’s the same across all three tournaments and Super League. Shame it’s only a year. 

BetFred are unable to sponsor for a longer of period of time, as there is a government review in 2022 about gambling sponsorship in sport.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Just now, LeeF said:

Out of interest do any sporting clubs which have alcohol and/ or gambling sponsors on their kit include those logos on junior replicas?

Everton had chang beer but it wasnt on the junior kits 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Everton had chang beer but it wasnt on the junior kits 

I would expect it to be outlawed however I haven’t purchased a replica shirt for a while  and much much longer since it was a junior one

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

Out of interest do any sporting clubs which have alcohol and/ or gambling sponsors on their kit include those logos on junior replicas?

Certainly not allowed on children's football shirts - I assume it is the same for other sports, but don't know for sure.

Archived