Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Lachlan Walmsley aside (Scottish heritage)

I see Whitehaven have named Aaron Purewall and Guy Graham, two ex-Scottish RU junior internationals.

That’s positive - more of the same now Scottish rl is back up and running.

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Lachlan Walmsley aside (Scottish heritage)

I see Whitehaven have named Aaron Purewall and Guy Graham, two ex-Scottish RU junior internationals.

That’s positive - more of the same now Scottish rl is back up and running.

Indeed it is. It would be nice to have more Scots playing our game at this level and above and more Irish as well to pique interest in our game in Scotland and Ireland

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Indeed it is. It would be nice to have more Scots playing our game at this level and above and more Irish as well to pique interest in our game in Scotland and Ireland

Graham is Cumbrian though. He has grown up in Carlisle (George Graham's son) so is not really an example of "a Scot playing our game". Good to see him switch over from union though.

Edited by The Frying Scotsman
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Graham is Cumbrian though. He has grown up in Carlisle (George Graham's son) so is not really an example of "a Scot playing out game". Good to see him switch over from union though.

I was wondering if it was 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Lachlan Walmsley aside (Scottish heritage)

I see Whitehaven have named Aaron Purewall and Guy Graham, two ex-Scottish RU junior internationals.

That’s positive - more of the same now Scottish rl is back up and running.

Phillips also plays for Scotland so maybe he had something todo with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Graham is Cumbrian though. He has grown up in Carlisle (George Graham's son) so is not really an example of "a Scot playing out game". Good to see him switch over from union though.

Both parents Scottish and played RU for Hawick , not sure how much of a Scot you want ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

Both parents Scottish and played RU for Hawick , not sure how much of a Scot you want ?

I don't really know what your point is. 

He grew up in Carlisle and talks like a Cumbrian. He played for Hawick because his Dad was the coach.

I am just pointing out it's not like someone from Scotland has decided to take up Rugby League. @The Future is League pointed out that it could "pique interest in our game in Scotland and Ireland" and I was just pointing out that in actual fact it is a guy from Cumbria who is now playing for his local club. Nothing against the bloke at all.

As I said - nice to have him over from union, but having guys like that playing are unlikely to "pique interest" in Rugby League in Scotland. I assume he is looking to play in the World Cup - will be interesting to see if he stays in RL afterwards.

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was impressed with Graham's defence and go forward Aaron finished off a lovely try. Both will take time to understand the game. But Graham definitely has the look of a rugby league player. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be wrong but thought George Graham's sons were born in Stirling and moved to Carlisle very young. Seem to remember George saying that his lads were Scottish through and through when older brothers Gary switched allegiance from the England squad. Anyone know the back story on the other lad,would like to think that there are young rugby players across the country who would jump at the opportunity to try our game

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I don't really know what your point is. 

He grew up in Carlisle and talks like a Cumbrian. He played for Hawick because his Dad was the coach.

I am just pointing out it's not like someone from Scotland has decided to take up Rugby League. @The Future is League pointed out that it could "pique interest in our game in Scotland and Ireland" and I was just pointing out that in actual fact it is a guy from Cumbria who is now playing for his local club. Nothing against the bloke at all.

As I said - nice to have him over from union, but having guys like that playing are unlikely to "pique interest" in Rugby League in Scotland. I assume he is looking to play in the World Cup - will be interesting to see if he stays in RL afterwards.

 

 

Born in Stirling, Scotland. Played rugby Union all his life. Represented Scotland Under 20’s at Rugby Union. More Scottish than someone from the other side of the world.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

What position does he play?

Hard to say he Started on bench today came on at prop. But imo he's a 2nd row type forward. He played 6 in the other sport. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Marrafan said:

Born in Stirling, Scotland. Played rugby Union all his life. Represented Scotland Under 20’s at Rugby Union. More Scottish than someone from the other side of the world.

I can see why he was interested in switching codes, especially with the forthcoming Rugby World Cup. Highly unlikely he would get the opportunity for the Union national team, as he doesn’t have South African descent 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Marrafan said:

Born in Stirling, Scotland. Played rugby Union all his life. Represented Scotland Under 20’s at Rugby Union. More Scottish than someone from the other side of the world.

To the King over the water!😉

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great news for Scotland Rugby League. For me, Guy he is definitely a lot more 'Scottish' than some who have pulled on the Bravehearts jersey, having be born in Scotland and actually spending some time of his life playing sport in Scotland and will definitely add to the credibility of the game north of the border, especially if he makes the national squad.

Aaron Purewal, is a surprise pick up.  Looking at stories about him prior to this year, he looked to be on the rise in Union, so for him to end up at Whitehaven is a nice boost for League, both for the Whitehaven club and Scotland Rugby League.

Hope they both go well.  

  • Like 1

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Route66 said:

Might be wrong but thought George Graham's sons were born in Stirling and moved to Carlisle very young. Seem to remember George saying that his lads were Scottish through and through when older brothers Gary switched allegiance from the England squad. Anyone know the back story on the other lad,would like to think that there are young rugby players across the country who would jump at the opportunity to try our game

Guy came through the great youth system at Carlisle RFC,my own lad played alongside him at colts & first team when he played there during the RL offseason,like his older brother Gary he looked a real athlete and his running style was more League like than Union.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Purewal scored a great try, showed real pace. Also got tackled into touch a couple of times, but he'll learn. Maybe needs some upper body strength. Once he fielded a kick then shaped to boot it straight back, which I thought was odd, but the onion background explains that.

I didn't notice Graham as much. Came on as a sub.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, snoopdog said:

Both parents Scottish and played RU for Hawick , not sure how much of a Scot you want ?

George Graham is a legend of the game 

 

Both games 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The storm said:

George Graham is a legend of the game 

 

Both games 

Really??

His Wikipedia page has 1 short sentence on his RL career and doesn't even include appearance stats. Surely a "legend of the game" deserves better than that?? If that is the treatment a "legend of the game" gets, I can only imagine how lesser players must feel!

If he is a "legend" of rugby union, then fair enough, I'll have to take your word for it.

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Graham_(rugby)

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty on this forum regarding Guy Graham, for which there is little to be added.

In the case of Purewal, he has played representative union in Scottish age group squads, as well as club rugby for the likes of GHA in Scotland and Richmond in England.

Neither though are the products of Scottish rugby league. Whitehaven's press releases made no mention if either playing league in Scotland. However, if both end up benefiting the Scottish RL team, more the better; certainly better than a team made up of Scots with Aussie accents. 

Edited by Moominman
Link to post
Share on other sites

George Graham looked like an unlikely RL player when he started - he was as wide as he was tall - 5ft 7 and 17 stone

He played 4 ish seasons at Carlisle and did take to the game well. Even played a few games at stand-off

Then went and got 25 caps for Scotland at RU after returning to the game

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hello said:

Eats haggis every day and watches Braveheart every night whilst tossing cabers?

Includes caber tossing in his training routine. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...