NARL (Merged threads)

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Hang on a minute sunshine , I've avoided commenting on this quite simply because your reaction is the one I would have expected from idiots like you , it did seem too good to be true , and it looks like it was , it's a shame as anybody playing RL is a good thing , no matter where that might be , and rarely have I ever come across anybody who has expressed an opinion to the opposite of that 

In truth as has been suggested , the more ' failure ' we have , the harder it might be to find future succsses , but don't blame that at fans of the sport 

Thanks for calling me an idiot x

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, langpark said:

Every fan wants the game to grow, stop trying to play some sort of victim game.

We are fans and want to buy in to these things. I dared to ask the question of how Las Vegas could run a semi-pro team when RL had never before been played there. I got called a hater.

I also got ridiculed for pointing out that rob curtis blarantly lied to our faces when he said "each team has a rich history of rugby league, having previously played for years in the amateur local leagues".

How can we buy into something and really get behind it when everything is so shrouded in secrecy and deceit? 

No games being played here by myself, your comment offends me. I refer to my above answer to Dave T.  I don't go blindly into anything in life without questioning it, I simply can't tolerate those who have the attitude of "it can't work outside my back yard".  Let's be hones, there's a fair few on here who actually fear bigger cities coming along and forming teams that then create a bigger fanbase that leads to a more successful team than their own.  Personally, I think it's better to be a small fish in a sea rather than a big fish in a puddle. For the record I was not one of those who argued against your points. 

9 hours ago, langpark said:

Atlanta Rhinos have existed since 2014 and no doubt will continue to exist after this as well. 

Good luck to them. My question was on the shirt, not the club. Just add it to my Kazan Arrows and Pietermatitzburg Tuskers items.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

2 hours ago, Hello said:

No games being played here by myself, your comment offends me. I refer to my above answer to Dave T.  I don't go blindly into anything in life without questioning it, I simply can't tolerate those who have the attitude of "it can't work outside my back yard".  Let's be hones, there's a fair few on here who actually fear bigger cities coming along and forming teams that then create a bigger fanbase that leads to a more successful team than their own.  Personally, I think it's better to be a small fish in a sea rather than a big fish in a puddle. For the record I was not one of those who argued against your points. 

Sorry but I don't think that's true at all, nor are your earlier comments. I am a fan of an 'expansion' team who are based outside the heartlands. This league looked dodgy right from the start and there was absolutely no transparency at all.  It received huge amounts of publicity despite lacking in any credibility. Most people on here really wanted this league to work but it was never going to based on the amount of funding required, and the timing of the league start in a global pandemic. 

I support a club that has slowly built itself up after 20 years. It has worked with governing bodies and within agreed structures to get to where it is. There are no shortcuts to success in rugby league without huge amounts of money.

People want overnight success without the hard work and when these ventures inevitably fail it damages the reputation of the sport, and can set back long term development. People blindly move onto the next shiny thing without asking legitimate questions about viability. Having concerns about this league and how it was going to work is not being anti expansion. Quite the opposite in fact. 

4 hours ago, Hello said:

Except if you actually read my actual words you will find that I didn't blame fans for the collapse of this league, that was not my point at all. What I was clearly saying was that too many fans revel in the collapse of attempted expsnsion. Please don't comment on my posts if you are going to invent words that I haven't actually posted, but, hey, don't let facts get in the way of your insular agenda.

Your post was pathetic, paranoid nonsense.

I mean if the attitude you describe is so prevalent in RL fans - then surely just quote a handful of those posts on this thread. The evidence must be here. 

There is not a single bit of glee in this thread of RL fans discussing this issue.

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Sorry but I don't think that's true at all, nor are your earlier comments. I am a fan of an 'expansion' team who are based outside the heartlands. This league looked dodgy right from the start and there was absolutely no transparency at all.  It received huge amounts of publicity despite lacking in any credibility. Most people on here really wanted this league to work but it was never going to based on the amount of funding required, and the timing of the league start in a global pandemic. 

I support a club that has slowly built itself up after 20 years. It has worked with governing bodies and within agreed structures to get to where it is. There are no shortcuts to success in rugby league without huge amounts of money.

People want overnight success without the hard work and when these ventures inevitably fail it damages the reputation of the sport, and can set back long term development. People blindly move onto the next shiny thing without asking legitimate questions about viability. Having concerns about this league and how it was going to work is not being anti expansion. Quite the opposite in fact. 

I don't disagree with anything that you say but I repeat, once again, I haven't blamed the current apparent failure of this league on fans, I have never claimed that this league was definitely going to be a success (on the contrary I thought there was lot to prove), I simply pointed out that a lot on here are very negative about expansion and I find it hard to believe that anyone can seriously disagree with that, whilst recognising that by contrast many others are positive about expansion. I'm not going to repeat myself any more times cos my fingers are starting to turn arthritic

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Your post was pathetic, paranoid nonsense.

I mean if the attitude you describe is so prevalent in RL fans - then surely just quote a handful of those posts on this thread. The evidence must be here. 

There is not a single bit of glee in this thread of RL fans discussing this issue.

I grant you that there is not a lot of glee in this particular post, but I sure as heck have seen plenty of it plus negativity towards expansion in general on these forums and am not paranoid. If you disagree and think that it's all hunky dory then fine, but I for one am a bit sick of some of the attitudes here. You will no doubt be glad to hear that I'm done with posting on here for a while.

7 minutes ago, Hello said:

I grant you that there is not a lot of glee in this particular post, but I sure as heck have seen plenty of it plus negativity towards expansion in general on these forums and am not paranoid. If you disagree and think that it's all hunky dory then fine, but I for one am a bit sick of some of the attitudes here. You will no doubt be glad to hear that I'm done with posting on here for a while.

Scepticism and glee are very different. 

28 minutes ago, Hello said:

So you rant about something not happening, see your backside and then strop off because of these fictitious attitudes. 

Goodbye Hello. 

I don't think there's many anti expansionists on here just most want it dome properly. If a good news story cropped up about a new junior league or Toronto, Bristol, Edinburgh, Dublin etc investing in development of the community game in their city alongside starting up a new pro club then they would get everyone's support.  I just think we're sceptical about pins in maps when it comes to expansion as we've seen it fail too many times

4 hours ago, Hello said:

Longer the better, being positive about something that you wish for is one thing, being blinding stupid no matter how dodgy a scheme seems to be, and ignoring similar ideas that have failed previously does not make you a victim of posters on a forum, only yourself and those involved in those schemes. 

Amazing. A league that will never play a match and seems to have been set up by some chancers causes random people across the globe to fall out on internet forum. Would be a lot better if this  NARL had never been mentioned if it was just a pipe dream.

Hoping the euro xiii isnt the same. Speaking of which I'm off to watch the worcester jaguars first ever home game tomorrow. A new club with what seems like a good community based setup built from the ground up. This surely is the embers of proper sustainable expansion. 

On 03/06/2021 at 23:47, langpark said:

Every fan wants the game to grow, stop trying to play some sort of victim game.

We are fans and want to buy in to these things. I dared to ask the question of how Las Vegas could run a semi-pro team when RL had never before been played there. I got called a hater.

I also got ridiculed for pointing out that rob curtis blarantly lied to our faces when he said "each team has a rich history of rugby league, having previously played for years in the amateur local leagues".

How can we buy into something and really get behind it when everything is so shrouded in secrecy and deceit? 

I would counter that as not all fans want growth, or to rephrase, a lot of fans want growth as long as its at a lower level to their club, this is therefore not adequate growth.

For example Newcastles / NE growth is praised by all but as doon as Newcastle start to properly challenge they will become another Toronto, Toulouse, Crusaders in peoples eyes!

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

The North American Rugby League cancels debut season, Brian Lowe's report for Rugby League Planet.

"One of the reasons for that decision was that two of the three people originally appointed to source additional sponsorships for the league pulled out at the eleventh hour."

So the money was never there and these guys weren't investors.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Looks like the NARL was set up in the hope that the publicity would bring sponsors and investors on board to fund it all, which didn't happen.

The hierarchal comment suggests whomever is in charge, and I think Wilby and Curtis are the only names we have, ploughed on with this strategy either without listening to others or keeping them in the dark regarding the financial position.

There is clearly still an appetite and sufficient interested parties to create something more than an amateur USARL league but for anything to happen in 2022 they will need to find that funding from somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Looks like the NARL was set up in the hope that the publicity would bring sponsors and investors on board to fund it all, which didn't happen.

The hierarchal comment suggests whomever is in charge, and I think Wilby and Curtis are the only names we have, ploughed on with this strategy either without listening to others or keeping them in the dark regarding the financial position.

There is clearly still an appetite and sufficient interested parties to create something more than an amateur USARL league but for anything to happen in 2022 they will need to find that funding from somewhere.

Everyone should run a mile with Anything that involves that wilby character and all those involved with the clubs only have themselves to blame. Hello due diligence checks.

The biggest disappointment in this is that it seems the existing clubs who had been playing in the USARL competition and were due to be in the NARL instead, now won't be playing any competitive matches this year. That can't be good for their on going prospects.

USARL was sustainable based off the back of the United States involvement in the 2013 & 2017 World Cups. 

The US governing body now seems to have been triple whammy, unsuccessful in 2021 RLWC Qualification, Global Pandemic & then a rival break away league set up seeing its clubs Jack and jump ship......

Archived