Jump to content

The World Cup goes ahead


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Sadly the Lions tour was the aforementioned person's baby 😕 That went well.

oh yes.. there are plenty of example of his babies being a complete and utter disaster... but lets at least beat him with a stick he deserves, there are enough to chose from after all!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


https://treizemondial.fr/peter-vlandys-met-le-doute-sur-la-participation-de-laustralie-a-la-coupe-du-monde/

The boss of Australian rugby league was surprised by the confirmation of the World Cup and said that Australia had not validated his participation.

“We are far from being able to commit.”

This is how Peter V'landys reacts when we talk about the World Cup, which has just been officialized and is scheduled to begin in October. He is also under pressure from most NRL clubs who are still reluctant to release players at the end of the season. Australia is the title holder and an absence from the major nation of rugby union in the world would be terrible, especially in terms of the media coverage and credibility of the event. Clubs and the ARL require extremely demanding financial guarantees and protocol during the tournament. Peter V'landys also added:

The most important thing for us is the safety of the players. Unless we are totally convinced that our players will be safe, we cannot commit. We have other questions about the financial situation. We are also concerned about quarantine requirements. We are far from being able to commit to the World Cup. We are in a very serious pandemic, the state of Victoria has just been confined for five days. We are focusing on this for the moment. We don't have all the conditions we have proposed and we won't go to clubs and players until we have what we want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

https://treizemondial.fr/peter-vlandys-met-le-doute-sur-la-participation-de-laustralie-a-la-coupe-du-monde/

The boss of Australian rugby league was surprised by the confirmation of the World Cup and said that Australia had not validated his participation.

“We are far from being able to commit.”

This is how Peter V'landys reacts when we talk about the World Cup, which has just been officialized and is scheduled to begin in October. He is also under pressure from most NRL clubs who are still reluctant to release players at the end of the season. Australia is the title holder and an absence from the major nation of rugby union in the world would be terrible, especially in terms of the media coverage and credibility of the event. Clubs and the ARL require extremely demanding financial guarantees and protocol during the tournament. Peter V'landys also added:

The most important thing for us is the safety of the players. Unless we are totally convinced that our players will be safe, we cannot commit. We have other questions about the financial situation. We are also concerned about quarantine requirements. We are far from being able to commit to the World Cup. We are in a very serious pandemic, the state of Victoria has just been confined for five days. We are focusing on this for the moment. We don't have all the conditions we have proposed and we won't go to clubs and players until we have what we want.

The thing for him is that he does not have power over anything other than the Australian squad - that's it. NRL have to release players for internationals hence them now trying to discredit the World Cup as representative games. FFS!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The thing for him is that he does not have power over anything other than the Australian squad - that's it. NRL have to release players for internationals hence them now trying to discredit the World Cup as representative games. FFS!!

 

its the "players will be safe" argument... the players will be as safe here in october as anywhere else in the world, perhaps safer. There can be bubbles to make even more sure of that.. its not a safety angle.. 

and if they are worried about the "safety" of the shorter turn around then its just hypocrytical with SoO and backing up.. they can always give the small number of players who will make the latter stages a couple of extra weeks off.. its really not a big issue.. unless you want it to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is no evidence to a nuetral UK audience that Australia are any bigger draw than England vs Scotland. In short, Australia doesn´t matter nearly as much on an international scene as they would like to believe they do. Every other nation has signed the agreement. Give them a deadline for mid august and if it isn´t signed place goes to USA. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

There is no evidence to a nuetral UK audience that Australia are any bigger draw than England vs Scotland. In short, Australia doesn´t matter nearly as much on an international scene as they would like to believe they do. Every other nation has signed the agreement. Give them a deadline for mid august and if it isn´t signed place goes to USA. 

 

And sadly, they've done that themselves with their attitude.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Barley Mow said:

It is the courts that would be the concern for the NRL in this scenario.

If the NRL or its clubs refused to release players to represent the remaining 15 countries, they would be breaching their obligations and could be sued.

The only argument that I can think of that they could make to justify not releasing players is that the World Cup should not be classed as international/representative matches. Whatever you think about the merits of the competition, the matches are clearly sanctioned internationals.

Love to see the NRL argue that one in court : "Well they aren´t real internationals because we aren´t there..." GG boys. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

There is no evidence to a nuetral UK audience that Australia are any bigger draw than England vs Scotland. In short, Australia doesn´t matter nearly as much on an international scene as they would like to believe they do. Every other nation has signed the agreement. Give them a deadline for mid august and if it isn´t signed place goes to USA. 

 

It’ll be mentioned in every broadcast and media report in the U.K. on the RL World Cup if Australia don’t come.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

And sadly, they've done that themselves with their attitude.

Yep, rather have New Zealand come over for a tour post world cup. Baskerville Shield is at least competitive and done pre covid on regular basis. One game in London, one in traditional RL area and take your pick for third. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

Love to see the NRL argue that one in court : "Well they aren´t real internationals because we aren´t there..." GG boys. 

This 2021 WC is a different beast with government money behind it. The Aussies could end up having to pay not to participate being a full member of the IRL.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to the 2021 NRL players poll, the best prop in the competition is James Fisher-Harris (with Addin Fanua-Blake 2nd), the best centre is Jospeh Manu (with Justin Olam 3rd) and the best second row is Villiame Kikau (with Isaiah Papali'i 3rd).

Add in Jahrome Hughes as the 2nd best half back, Shaun Johnson the 3rd best five-eigth and Jason Taumalolo as the 2nd best lock and it is really obvious that Origin is no longer the best of the best in the Australian competition.

They would however all be eligible for the World Cup if fit and healthy - if they were allowed to play of course.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-player-poll-2021-tedesco-dethroned-as-the-game-s-best-player-20210603-p57xvf.html

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, DavidM said:

That’s an interesting line , and I guess this is the attitude that ultimately is the biggest worry in terms of not just the WC , but international rugby league in general . Many there just seem to see the international game as an inconvenient add on 

They have been trained to think like that. Why can't they just enjoy both aspects of the sport instead of this constant comparing and belittling. What other sports do this? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Love to see the NRL argue that one in court : "Well they aren´t real internationals because we aren´t there..." GG boys. 

Two of the best and most memorable games I have seen were the semi final in the 2013 WC between NZ and England and the 2017 semi with England and Tonga. Guess what Australia weren't in either game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ckn locked this topic
  • ckn unlocked this topic

Yes, I will have pulled some posts that were fine but at 100 posts I did a broad brush approach. Your fault for getting wound up by an obvious troll.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyway, to take it back to the world cup its good to see the social media side picking up. Seeing Newcastle s accounts talk about it all just makes me even more angry that our local morons ruined it all for us in Workington.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, ckn said:

Yes, I will have pulled some posts that were fine but at 100 posts I did a broad brush approach. Your fault for getting wound up by an obvious troll.

apologies.. honestly I thought he was for real at the start.. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, dkw said:

Anyway, to take it back to the world cup its good to see the social media side picking up. Seeing Newcastle s accounts talk about it all just makes me even more angry that our local morons ruined it all for us in Workington.

I am far too excited for it and I'm not bothered if Australia cannot bring themselves to come over... though i think they will in the end.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

There is no evidence to a nuetral UK audience that Australia are any bigger draw than England vs Scotland. In short, Australia doesn´t matter nearly as much on an international scene as they would like to believe they do. Every other nation has signed the agreement. Give them a deadline for mid august and if it isn´t signed place goes to USA. 

 

Mid August, you're more generous than I would be. I'd give them until the end of July, at the latest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

Mid August, you're more generous than I would be. I'd give them until the end of July, at the latest.

Fair enough but a deadline certainly needs to be set to give USA time to get a replacement ready and then help arrange a fixture for them before the world cup. 

Edited by ShropshireBull
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

Fair enoug but a deadline needs to be set to give USA time to get a replacement ready and then help arrange a fixture for them before the world cup. 

Absolutely, a deadline needs to be set pronto.

I'm not 100% confident with this prediction but I think that Australia are being attention seeking whingers who have every intention of turning up.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Alan Robertson said:

Absolutely, a deadline needs to be set pronto.

I'm not 100% confident with this prediction but I think that Australia are being attention seeking whingers who have every intention of turning up.

I think they are trying not to come and it´s the start of the NRL´s effort to get other nations to pull out by saying ´íf Australia aren´t there it isn´t an international´. I wouldn´t care if they did at this point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RP London said:

If they are "flexing their muscles" its only about time... no way would the IRB or FIFA be dictated to in this way by 1 country no matter who it was... (in FIFAs case that may change depending on the size of the brown envelope of course)/

I'm glad its coming to a head.

If this doesn't come off, if the Aussies don't participate, it will wreck any attempt to maintain any (pretense at) an International Rugby League body.

It'll be us and them from then on, until we die.

Gould's reference to this ''project'' as being someone's ''baby'' shows complete contempt for everyone else in the world of Rugby League. It's not someone's baby for god's sake, its the blo ody World Cup and they've been a party to it from day one.

I'd say, here's your invitation (we can satisfy your most stringent safety concerns) and you have until the end of July to accept or decline.

Then if you decline, we'll bring in the yanks and get on with it. The show must go on.

This is Rugby League's Cuban Crisis.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...