Jump to content

Catalan win SL. How will this affect....


Recommended Posts


I don't think it will affect France much in the slightest. They are a completely different team with many different players and a whole different set of problems they need to solve. Take out the imports from Catalans and Toulouse and things become very different. Then you are also adding part time players to the mix too.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately for France Tomkins x2, Maloney, Whare, McMeeken, Drinkwater, Davies, Dudson, Whitley, Kasiano won't be eligible for them so i would imagine they will fare no better than usual considering they will have the same players available.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

... France in the WC

Maybe chuck in a Tolouse promotion too

How big a factor would it be for their chances? Confidence, belief etc. 

Currently they are 300-1 behind Ireland 

It’s definitely a positive on both counts regarding Catalan winning the grandfinal and Toulouse getting promoted to super league and something to build on for the future but until we see similar numbers of French players in super league to that of NZ players in the NRL nothing dramatically will change for the French National RL team on the international stage unfortunately.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The breath of our inspiration

Is the life of each generation;

    A wondrous thing of our dreaming

    Unearthly, impossible seeming —

The soldier, the king, and the peasant

    Are working together in one,

Till our dream shall become their present,

    And their work in the world be done.

Arthur O'Shaunessy

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, JohnM said:

The breath of our inspiration

Is the life of each generation;

    A wondrous thing of our dreaming

    Unearthly, impossible seeming —

The soldier, the king, and the peasant

    Are working together in one,

Till our dream shall become their present,

    And their work in the world be done.

Arthur O'Shaunessy

I thought that was Baz during commentary ?

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's being said that even people with both jabs will have to quarantine for 10 days from Monday on return from France, that is going to kybosh the Dragons playing anymore home games whilst it lasts and they will need to base themselves over here pretty sharpish to play here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

It's being said that even people with both jabs will have to quarantine for 10 days from Monday on return from France, that is going to kybosh the Dragons playing anymore home games whilst it lasts and they will need to base themselves over here pretty sharpish to play here.

Do they not have dispensation as elite sportsmen & chartering flights etc?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Clogiron said:

It's being said that even people with both jabs will have to quarantine for 10 days from Monday on return from France, that is going to kybosh the Dragons playing anymore home games whilst it lasts and they will need to base themselves over here pretty sharpish to play here.

The rules for France aren't changing from what they've been all season, it's just that they're not going to be loosened further along with the rest of the Amber List. 

So it won't affect Catalans, but it's a shame for Toulouse as it's squashed the possibility of them playing some home games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The rules for France aren't changing from what they've been all season, it's just that they're not going to be loosened further along with the rest of the Amber List. 

So it won't affect Catalans, but it's a shame for Toulouse as it's squashed the possibility of them playing some home games. 

I’m sure there’s also changes in France for arrivals from the UK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, DavidM said:

I thought that was Baz during commentary ?

"This lad works really 'ard at training at Kirkstall. I went for a coffee with his dad last week and we both agreed he is going to be a good'un."

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regardless of how Catalans do in the 2021 SL, France should be looking at this WC to primarily bring through younger players and start planning for their 2025 WC team. If TO go up and survive it will also help their 2025 team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I hope they do though. I guess they are everyone's second team so most people do

Not my second team. Just to put on record I had to ask myself what my order of support were in SL and I came up with the following. 1. Cas 2. Wigan 3. Hull 4. Wakefield 5. Hull Kr 6. Leeds 7. Huddersfield 8. Leigh 9. Salford 10. Warrington 11. Saints 12. Catalans. 

I think my problem with Catalans is simply I have no reason to like them and no reason to dislike them which simply normally means if they are on TV I don't bother watching. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/07/2021 at 09:45, daz39 said:

Unfortunately for France Tomkins x2, Maloney, Whare, McMeeken, Drinkwater, Davies, Dudson, Whitley, Kasiano won't be eligible for them so i would imagine they will fare no better than usual considering they will have the same players available.

 

Except Bousquet,
Garcia, Goudemand,
Mourgue, Yaha and co are on much better form than what we had last time.

Fingers crossed.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't think it will have any material impact on their World Cup chances, but think it could help the development of the game over there. You'd hope that it'd receive some strong media coverage and would help get more kids into the sport.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/07/2021 at 14:13, Spidey said:

I’m sure there’s also changes in France for arrivals from the UK

It's actually easier (as of Monday) you don't need a -ve test now if you have a COVID vaccine passport, and no need to quarantine here. 

That said, there are teams where players refused to be vaccinated which could cause problems. However, it is the return to the UK which is the biggest issue with this new Amber+ rating

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the new back room set up for the national team Trent R etc, who I imagine should have the respect of the players France should be more harmonious, and give a better account of themselves. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/07/2021 at 10:13, DavidM said:

I thought that was Baz during commentary ?

not a chance.. it was coherent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...