Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

11 minutes ago, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Nrlw is far better then aflw. 

Aflw is really hard to watch , quality is very poor. 

The only other female sport that I know that is played on a reduced size field is women`s cricket, there`s obviously a reason for that.

Strikes me that fumbleball-W really struggles on the full size cricket field because the women don`t have the kicking range to get from one end of the field to the other enough, this combined with the fumbleball nature of the game means that the 36 players on the field are condensed into an even more smaller space, which only compounds the problem.

The end result of this problem has been the miserable low scoring that has marked the fumbleball-W, and what`s fumbleball without goals - one great big unstructured mess moving up and down the field.

I don`t think there is an easy solution for this, you don`t just up and move fumbleball goalposts easily, so it would seem to me in their eagerness to be everything to everybody and corner all markets, fumbleball HQ have created a rod for their own backs here, especially now with all their talk of full length fumbleball seasons and equal pay with the men`s.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

The only other female sport that I know that is played on a reduced size field is women`s cricket, there`s obviously a reason for that.

Strikes me that fumbleball-W really struggles on the full size cricket field because the women don`t have the kicking range to get from one end of the field to the other enough, this combined with the fumbleball nature of the game means that the 36 players on the field are condensed into an even more smaller space, which only compounds the problem.

The end result of this problem has been the miserable low scoring that has marked the fumbleball-W, and what`s fumbleball without goals - one great big unstructured mess moving up and down the field.

I don`t think there is an easy solution for this, you don`t just up and move fumbleball goalposts easily, so it would seem to me in their eagerness to be everything to everybody and corner all markets, fumbleball HQ have created a rod for their own backs here, especially now with all their talk of full length fumbleball seasons and equal pay with the men`s.

You put it in a great way . Kudos.  

AFLW will not gain any traction , it will bleed money for the AFL , and hopefully occupy their thoughts . 

That is our chance to move in on markets in WA , SA , Tas and NT. The men's game needs to go completely national by 2032.

I'm very  confident in NRLW success also. As discussed , our game is compact and makes sense to the eye , it suites both men and women , As does soccer for example. 

But AFL is plainly not suited for women , it's clear as day. 

Its not even about the low scores , it's just FUMBLE - CENTRAL . It's laughable to watch , and I know a lot of AFL fans in Melbourne can't stand the sight of it. 

AFLW is highlighting what a laughable sport AFL is in general. 

4 hours ago, Josef K said:

When the average league attendance is shown at the end of the season, are the loop fixtures counted. I don’t think they should be. I wouldn’t know when the Loopy Loop Fixtures are being played either. 

It's likely that Saints 'loop' fixture away at Toulouse will be higher than the first.

And yet you'd exclude that?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

take a break EW, you don’t have to be one all the time.

https://www.austadiums.com/sport/australian-football/results

As you are so obsessed, there’s a link to show you the AFL crowds this year. Swans pulling bigger crowd than any Sydney NRL game this year is a concern. Except that it’s the norm. Their 25k is the Sydney benchmark so far and not a very high one. How long do you think until an NRL game in Sydney draws more?

Back to RL, it was great to see the Sharks back playing at home. Good turnout considering the restrictions due to the development. The atmosphere more resembled some of the great SL matches I’ve attended. Prime Minister was there in support of the win as well. Good to see.

Sorry @Mr Frisky, I thought it was obvious my post above was a response to the ramblings of @Exiled Wiganer.

Edited by Sports Prophet

16 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Mate I don’t like speaking for others but I can safely say that no one on here apart from you has the slightest interest in fumbleball’s attendances.

Exiled Wiganer does. See his post above mine.

I wasn’t sure of it’s relevance either, but he seemed very interested.

Edited by Sports Prophet

4 hours ago, RL Sonja said:

Attendances haven't mattered more than television since about the mid-1990s. Unbelievable how slow people are on the uptake about this. 

For a global competition like the Premier League, sure. For a competition like SL, no way. Television is a fantastic vehicle to present the sport to those that can’t attend, but simply neglecting the revenue opportunities on match days is not prudent. Television shouldn’t be a replacement for attending. 

2021 Brisbane Broncos revenue from memberships, ticketing, corporate sales and other match day revenue represented >25% of the clubs 2021 $50m turnover. That was in another COVID affected year. The NRL grant was in the region of $15m.

Before COVID, in 2018, the NRL grant represented 25% of Brisbane Broncos revenue. A long way from being the primary source of income.

Then there is the intangible benefits of a reasonably full stadium, such as the visual appeal of the sport to new, potential customers.

Neither NRL or SL are in a position to neglect their crowds.

3 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

For a global competition like the Premier League, sure. For a competition like SL, no way. Television is a fantastic vehicle to present the sport to those that can’t attend, but simply neglecting the revenue opportunities on match days is not prudent. Television shouldn’t be a replacement for attending. 

2021 Brisbane Broncos revenue from memberships, ticketing, corporate sales and other match day revenue represented >25% of the clubs 2021 $50m turnover. That was in another COVID affected year. The NRL grant was in the region of $15m.

Before COVID, in 2018, the NRL grant represented 25% of Brisbane Broncos revenue. A long way from being the primary source of income.

Then there is the intangible benefits of a reasonably full stadium, such as the visual appeal of the sport to new, potential customers.

Neither NRL or SL are in a position to neglect their crowds.

Yep.

In SL we get around £1.5m in central funding on turnovers up to £7 to £10m. Fans are crucial to driving the additional income. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

A great attendance with very few away fans, I’m sure they’ll all be back for more 

Maybe when the French union seasons ends (if it hasn’t already) more of their fans might go if they’re starved of live sport. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Who’ll be first to slag Salford off for giving away free tickets?  Great initiative, I’m glad they saw a win too. 

Exactly. Hopefully they all enjoyed the win and will soon be coming back for more.

"Giving away free tickets" might sound like an easy task, but mobilising 2300 kids and getting them to a game would have been a huge task in itself. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

23,214 @ Newcastle NSW today against Wests Tigers for our first home game.

Yeah that looked really good. Great club, great supporters and lots of them.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

On 15/03/2022 at 05:18, fevtom said:

These are the average attendances I have for the season so far:

St Helens 13196
Leeds Rhinos 12114
Wigan Warriors 11433
Hull FC 11377
Castleford Tigers 10286
Warrington Wolves 8882
Hull Kingston Rovers 7806
Catalans Dragons 7552
Huddersfield Giants 5714
Toulouse Olympique 5197
Wakefield Trinity 5180
Salford Red Devils 3977

Featherstone Rovers 3695
Bradford Bulls 3668
Widnes Vikings 3523
Leigh Centurions 3030
York City Knights 2411
Dewsbury Rams 1863
Barrow Raiders 1836
Halifax Panthers 1740
London Broncos 1499
Batley Bulldogs 1384
Whitehaven 1280
Workington Town 1106
Newcastle Thunder 679
Sheffield Eagles N/A

Just one figure missing for Workington v Sheffield.

Love your work. 

Keep it coming. 

As the topic of crowds is of big interest to RL lovers. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Broncos (winning their first two games) have the derby with North Queensland at home next weekend. That could be the biggest crowd of the season so far. Adam Reynolds' first game at Suncorp too.

Could easily top 40 000. Only the second week but the table looks amazing: Knights 1st, Broncos 3rd, Cowboys 5th. Cowboys will jump into the 4 if they can beat the Broncos. It`s going to go off..to use the surfies parlance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Who’ll be first to slag Salford off for giving away free tickets?  Great initiative, I’m glad they saw a win too. 

Whilst their with a Leeds contingent It was great to hear the children at times getting behind the Salford team and even collectively clapping and chanting at some stages of the game - they must have had someone cheer leading them me thinks.

Anyway they seemed to really enjoy the game... I know before the game one of the Salford officials was concerned that having given out the free tickets that many wouldn't turn up - he will be happy.   I think he and all Salford admin/officials should be proud of what they achieved with the initiative.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Broncos (winning their first two games) have the derby with North Queensland at home next weekend. That could be the biggest crowd of the season so far. Adam Reynolds' first game at Suncorp too.

I love how Brisbane v Townsville is considered a derby, when some RL fans here think Lancashire to Cumbria is too far. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It's likely that Saints 'loop' fixture away at Toulouse will be higher than the first.

And yet you'd exclude that?

I wouldn’t have any loop fixtures whatsoever if i had it my way ginger. As we are really only meant to have eleven H&A fixtures i would exclude TO second home fixture against Saints, and all other club’s second home fixture against a side they have already played at their own stadium. I don’t think i have explained that very well, im dreadful at trying too make my point i apologise. 

• Like 1